Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Dying forum

On the subject of the forum dying I would respectfully suggest that it has become tired and almost a private members club for about a dozen or so people. I always log in every night but on the few times that I have tried to contribute I have been practicaly ignored or frozen out. Not very welcoming to anyone waiting in the wings. Now I know most of you and I know that you are entertaining,honest people who share a common interest(Lisburn) but perhaps you should be a bit more welcoming to any strangers attempting to enter forum. I think you,ll find that's all it,ll take to resurrect a great little forum. Good luck and I,ll keep sitting in the wings. Eamon

Re: Dying forum

Agree totally
donald

eamon,
good point, i agree could be more reaction to other posters. although the main contributers are very interesting and keep the forum together

Eamon, I'm sorry to hear you've been sitting in the wings since 1996. And equally surprised that this contribution is so short.
WELCOME to what is a virtually private forum.
I assume you are interested in the town and its people.
If you need tips on commenting, donald's yer man.

Dabbler
lave my wee brother alone, sure he´s no sense and has a wee want!
donald

Hi Eamon I have to agree with you and in saying that I am afraid I myself have not contributed anything for quite a while, I use to enjoy and now miss the photos Jim frequently added to the different collections , to my knowledge this hasn't been added to for a considerable time, also there was a separate place on the forum for exiles looking help the last query on it was 25/7/12 so it hasn't been updated since then? Then one has to realize I suppose this would be almost a daily task to keep updating and servicing these query's and if you are holding down a full time job and a family it could be very demanding, Anyhow here's hoping something turns up to inject a bit of fresh craic into all aspects of the forum, Eamon I see Big Brother Is Watching !Just give him a By-Ball Kind Regards To All and a Happy New Year To All The Readers Regards Ted

Sorry Don
Had no idea who was complaining, but wondered why he didn't improve the site by adding to it.

Ted; I agree with every word. It must be difficult to get advertisers interested too.

Dabbler and all,I agree with Eamon, I have tried to take part in the forum but seem to be ignored.It does come across as a closed shop.
Hope things change to encourage new members.
Pamela

Pamela; tell us more about yourself. Are you an exile?
I know I'm a miserable wee bugger, writing mostly sad stuff about people and places from sixty years ago, but I put that down to longing for the past.

I must add that writing has been good therapy for me. I left my mum and dad and wee brothers and sisters, and lived a totally separate life for fifty years. My parents died before I could tell them what a stupid arrogant little b astard I was, and how grateful I was for their efforts in troubled times.
I hope that my confession doesn't put anyone off their tea.

Dabbler,I have only gone as far as Banbridge.Left Lisburn seven years ago and haven't regreted it. Jim the boss moved here as well,used to meet him from time to time. Eamon also lives in Banbridge, have been to one of his great barbeques (spelling?].
I came from Hilden, I'm one of Hilden Schools less talented pupils. One time you said Sean Bushe pointed a girl out to you in the Wallace Park, I think that was my sister Pat, Sean used to fancy her in their young days. I'm married with three middle aged kids and one grandson.
My Maiden name was Sheridan. That's it Dabs not very exiting but I enjoy reading about the more exciting lives some of you have lived. Cheers Pam

Pamela, you underestimate the interest of your story. I remember asking if you were the girl that Shaun pointed out. I believe he said the girl was romantically connected to his cousin, Brendan Kerr.
I have distinct recall of Brendan, who, despite being the worst speller in the school -(Dyslexia?) - became a good carpenter.

Dabbler, you could be right our Pat was four years older than me so I don't know much about her love life. When one is fourteen and one eighteen you can guess how that goes. I was probably still playing in Hilden park when she was in Lisburn running after the boys. Ha! Ha! Pam

Pamela
Dabbler and all,I agree with Eamon, I have tried to take part in the forum but seem to be ignored.It does come across as a closed shop.
Hope things change to encourage new members.
Pamela

hi Pamela and Eamon i can see your point, you cannot even copy and paste photos or scenes either, site needs to move with the times just look at face book, many posts never commented on and so forth,would you be related to Pat Sheridan? i remember him many years ago

Dabbler
Pamela, you underestimate the interest of your story. I remember asking if you were the girl that Shaun pointed out. I believe he said the girl was romantically connected to his cousin, Brendan Kerr.

I have distinct recall of Brendan, who, despite being the worst speller in the school -(Dyslexia?) - became a good carpenter.

i remember brendan very well dabbler he had an older brother who played a harmonica back then,flight of the bumble bee he used to play,lmfao.lol

Barney, I don't know if Danny, Brendan's bother, played the mouth organ, but his first cousin, Jimmy Taggert, certainly played that tune; also, The Irish Washerwoman
Goodnight, old Lisburn.

Hi Barney I think the brother you have in mind was Danny who I worked with in Felix's and he played a mouth-organ very well it had a side key and he was very proficent in its execution and on Mondays we use to pluck fowl in the loft and Danny God rest him would play for us. Regarding Brendan Kerr Dabbler I thought he was a painter for Bullocks the painters from Railway Street but to be honest I'm not sure of anything any more consequently my lack of input ! Regards Ted

Barney, I take it you mean Pat Sheridan from Smithfield. No we are not related, my father was from Belfast. I know Pat well I believe he is not too well just now. He used to work in the credit union from time to time. Pamela

Could anyone tell me how to start a new subject ? I'm new to this game so need all the help I can get. Thanks Pam

Ted; thanks for the correction about Brendan Kerr's trade.
Some minor, boring details of his early days:
He ran round with my brother Robert on his shoulders, playing 'tig' by the Wee Hall, accidentally smashing said brother's face against the wall, dislodging at least one tooth.
Brendan, encouraged by Shaun Bushe, once persuaded my dopey self to try a 'trick' he had learned. I had to breathe in and out quickly six times and he then grabbed me from behind, squeezing my stomach as hard as he could. I just managed to stay conscious:-)
And there's more...

Pam; FOR NEW TOPIC, CLICK NEW TOPIC.
By the way, I remember Shaun being impressed that Miss Sheridan claimed to be related to Belfast hard man Stormy Weatherall.

Dabbler, I never heard of Stormy Weatherall. Maybe she was telling a bit of a porky, what do you think? Thanks for your help with the forum. Pam

Pam. Stormy was, and remains, notorious as a street fighter. I believed the story at that time. However, if you say it was a 'porky', I take you word for it.

Dabbler
Pam; FOR NEW TOPIC, CLICK NEW TOPIC.

By the way, I remember Shaun being impressed that Miss Sheridan claimed to be related to Belfast hard man Stormy Weatherall.

Stormy Weatherall was a Belfast hard man in the 50s and 60s. In 1965 I worked with his sister Peggy.There was always a competition between him and another hard man Silver McKee??? to see who was the toughest.
donald

Ted
Hi Barney I think the brother you have in mind was Danny who I worked with in Felix's and he played a mouth-organ very well it had a side key and he was very proficent in its execution and on Mondays we use to pluck fowl in the loft and Danny God rest him would play for us. Regarding Brendan Kerr Dabbler I thought he was a painter for Bullocks the painters from Railway Street but to be honest I'm not sure of anything any more consequently my lack of input ! Regards Ted

thats it Ted Danny there was a vamper on the harmonica

Dabbler
Pam. Stormy was, and remains, notorious as a street fighter. I believed the story at that time. However, if you say it was a 'porky', I take you word for it.

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=59178.0

a bit about stormy here and a photo

barney kx
Dabbler

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=59178.0

a bit about stormy here and a photo

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=179395&cat=boxer

Thanks for that sad news Barney. Belfast was barely eight miles away, and I grew up listening to tales of Stormy and Silver.

Hi All,

There was previously correspondence about Stormy. I said a few years ago we were visiting friends and having lunch in a pub in Cambridgeshire, when I heard an Ulster accent and went to talk to him. He told me he was Stormy, and said a lot about his previous life in Belfast and what he got up to. It was very entertaining and I believed everything he said. However when I mentioned it on the forum I think I wasn't believed or that he was The Stormy. So I have just looked up the Belfast forum, to see a picture of him, and indeed it was the same man. I am glad he was able to return to Belfast again. It must have been soon after I saw him. Sad to hear of his death.

Liz, I remember that post. I hope you and the pastor are still well.

Found this when browsing through the forum. We got it back on it´s feet then let´s do it again.Am still recovering from the cold I brought back from USA.Last week herself and I took a trip to Cloister Andecs to visit the Navitity Market with a crib filled with live locals and animals. Needless to say I had to have a beer or two accompanied by a Pretzel, Stinky Cheese and some Liver Wurst. It lifted the wind off my stomach to quote my Gran.
Lets get this forum back on it´s feet
donald

1 2