Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Lisburn

This link may interest some, especially Dabbler as it shows his part of Lisburn, Piper´s Hill and Barrack Street. Old schools, such as the Central, Ragerty Bap and the Tech with Joe Kennedy teaching metalwork.
donald

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4eMmJTjKlGw&sns=fb

Re: Old Lisburn

Thank you Donald. My son gave me DVDs 1 and 2 some yeas ago. To say it is of interest is putting it mildly.
I enjoyed every minute.

Strange to hear the "Central" referred to as an Old School??, in my day it was of course the newest school in town. It opened in 1934 and I think it was either 1935 or 1936 that I started there, in fact the first day at school when the lunch time bell went I run home as I thought it was the end of the day, my uncle who had transferred from "Nicholson's" school when the Central opened came after me and caught me at the cemetary, have often tried to bring a picture of it up on "Google Earth" but now hidden from view by trees in the front.
My Grandfather also helped build it and somewhere in my pile of photos there is one of him and his workmates taken at the back of the school, he really got around as he also helped build the BBC station at Blaris and of course when he worked in Belfast Shipyard he worked on the "Titanic". He was also a veteran of the Boer War, how I would have loved to have had a few pints with him but he died just a few days after I came home on leave in the summer of 1948. Mauri

mauri,
seemed to be the norm for first day. i went to brownlee and lunchtime off i went to mckeownn street. went in the door and my granny was peeling spuds or something. she said what are you doing here. i said school is finished. no it's not she said, grabbed my arm and off we both went up batchelors walk. it's funny what you remember

Central School still stands. Even today it looks good, with green grass surrounding it and steps leading up to the entrance. I'm sure it was very modern in its day and, as I say, looks well yet.

Hi Mauri, Donald , and all Exilers

Regarding the Central School . If you go to photographs, And click on to forum ,then scroll to TmcKay Photos ,and then down to ( Walk around the Central School)You will see how it looked in 2010. Do not forget to double click on the small prints , to enlarge .
I was looking into the old snaps taken ,but was sad to see that a lot have been sent to the WOOPS section . Thankfully some have been saved . Fingers Crossed!
Hope all are well on the forum , and looking forward to the big day .
Regards!
Tommy

Tom, my reply to you was SPAMMED. Fed up with this.

Tommy, Your photos were, and are, a great part of the site.
Thanks! Joe

anyone remember the shops in Pipers hill and Hill street,there were seven shops,I can
name six but forget the other.
Leo.

Leo,

Piper Hill.... Shoemenders. Barbers.

Corner of Linenhall St. Confectionery shop with a tinkling bell on the latched door.

Linenhall st.end.... sort of shop attached to the factory.

Corner of Church St.... Another small confectioners.

Opposite corner, Yet another one.

That's all I remember as a child, visiting friends at the top of the Hill, but memory sometimes is fickle........ Pat

Pat,
top of pipers hill, Charlie Postles barber shop,next door shoemenders ,can't remember the name.
Mrs Niell had a small sweet shop at No7 hill street, opposite on the corner of Linnenhall street was Maggie Moors grocery shop.
on the corner of Bradburys buildings was Sammy Downies tinsmith shop.
at top of the hill on the corner of Church street Mrs Gilmour had another sweet shop,you could get a drink of lemonade for a penny.
on the opposite corner with Barrack lane was Donachies grocery shop.
can you recall any of these names?
excuse the spelling, I don't know how to put the message Icons on.
Leo.

When I visited my dying brother in 2006, I saw Leo Bolton, an English ex-soldier, walking up Chapel Hill. He did not see me. In the fifties, he lived in Pipers Hill.

Hi dabbler,
I can't recall anyone called Leo Bolton or any English people living in Pipers hill, but my memory is a bit slow nowadays.
Leo.

Leo,
Leo Bolton caame to Lisburn with Hughie Phillips, and lived with Hughie's mother, my aunt, in Piper's Hill. I knew you, Leo Morgan, long before that. Mary's husband, the much older chimney sweep, died when I was a child.Mary bore several children to add to the ready-made family of Robby. Charlie was my boyhood friend as well as my cousin. I did not know your family, but I remember the Staffords.
I have previously written of the ghostly happenings in Piper#s Hill. That was in the Phillips house. Iwas in England. I am not sure, but Leo Bolton may have lived there at the time.This tale should be easily verified, as it got much publicity. A priest was called to remove the 'evil spirit'.

Dabbler,
My granny lived next door to Hughie Phillips,I was brought up in that house while my dad was away in the war and my mam worked at Hilden mill.
Robby Phillips lived across the street next door to Tam Graham who had a bad stammer
but was a lovely singer.
Charlie is similar age to me,his brother Kevin was younger and was friends with my brother.
Leo.

Thanks Leo. Charlie, I hear, is dead. I was told that another brother, Patrick, was`a good wee boxer. I remember watching another Phillips child, Maurice, die in my mother's arms. Meningitis.

i am robbies grandaughter Leo was not english he was an irish man and he was no soilder either he was a working man just.

Despite the nonsensical name of the poster, I am drawn in. Leo Bolton, who lived in Piper's Hill with the Phillips family definitely was/is English.
Furthermore, if you claim to be Mary's grandaughter, you are my mother's greatniece.

Kevin

I just wanted to say I am Kevin's daughter, karen with 3 children. I would like to know who the is dabblers!???

Karen, Dabbler's name is Joe Reid. I know he won't mind me passing on this information to you. The Reid family lived near your relatives. Joe has very recently had a death in the family - his sister, Joan, so he probably won't be on the Forum for a little while.