Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Dogs Life

As I mentioned a few months ago I got a beagle- cross puppy, who has grown to a fine sturdy "intermediate" dog, full of the joys of life, completely beyond my capabilities first thing in the morning,

On with the outdoor clothes & shoes & round the back garden twice, while he snuffles & explores the ditches & undergrowth. A treats keeps him happy & moving the half mile back to the house & his feed.

If the cat is not around to chase he sleeps for a while & I get my breakfast while keeping an eye on him in case he strays over the fields. Farmers have cows in the fields so they are out of bounds for Finn.

We have sent for an electric fence to keep him in our property but till then he is a free spirit ready to roam. I am on a third pair of slippers & the toys I bought are disregarded, he would rather catch a brush or the clothes on the line. He loves a chase & always
wins.

My life has changes completely, all freedom gone, but when he looks at you innocently, from under his brows, all is forgiven. So much for the tiny house puppy I intended to buy who would be obedient & docile & accompany me everywhere............dream on. I have a mad puppy who is beyond manners.

Pat

Re: A Dogs Life

Pat, you've taken on more than you bargained for. Tomorrow we take Tess over for her examination prior to having dental work done. I'll not rest after I leave her in until she back home safely again.

Ann,

I think you may be right. Up again & walked the walk early, Finn is asleep now & I have to stay out of his eye vision or he would be "up like a liltie".

Too old for young tricks, should have listened to good advice but the story of my life.!!!!!!

Pat

P.S.

It is only 10.00 a m. is the clock not changed yet on the Forum.?

Pat

Tess had 6 teeth removed as well as having her teeth cleaned. It wasn't cheap but I don't begrudge the cost as Tess has given us so much joy over her nearly 12 years. I imagine both dogs have only a couple of years left although Tess especially is still like a pup, full of mischief and bright as a button. Eva is a more serious type of dog, she's the pack leader, and the dominant one, so no time for fun.

However, when the vet did a blood test on Tess prior to her op, she discovered that Tess has canine hepatitis, as has Eva. SO, we've been advised to give them both a special food, with the necessary vitamins, to make life as comfortable as possible for them over the next years.

Just in from walking Finn round & round the garden on a lead, in the rain The fence has not arrived yet & he can't be trusted to roam free. He hates the lead & bites it & rain also. He is inside his kennel looking out mournfully. I brought him into the house earlier but he broke my patience, he was so frisky. So I had to walk in the rain till he was tired. Dog leads woman...

He is very intelligent or just plain streetwise about everything, he can run rings round me. He loves his gravy bone treats & his raspberries from the bushes. The fruit is nearly gone now.

He settles once darkness falls & peace reigns till morning. I bought him a large bag of Royal Canine food to last him until he is a year old, cost me 70Euro. The treats cost 4Euro, special offer.

Hope he proves to be worth it. Pat

Received bad news today from the vet about Eva. As you know she already is being treated for canine hepatitis. When her blood test came back today it shows she also has diabetes. She has 2 lumps on her body, which may be benign or not. We'd need to get an x-ray to be sure. She also has developed cataracts and there's a sounding on her lung, not sure what that is. SO, we're faced with a problem. She's 11 years old and has, at best, 1 or 2 years left.

We've discussed the why and wherefores with the family. I also rang Pat and tonight I'll phone my daughter in England. However, I think Dominic and I have more or less decided that it would be kinder to have Eva put to sleep. She's had a wonderful, healthy life up until now and neither of us would want to see her suffer. Will let you know what happens later. Thought I'd share this with my Forum friends.

Hi Ann,

So sorry to hear the bad news about Eva, I know how much you love your pets. I know Dominick and you have made the right decision to have her put down, no one likes to see their pet suffer. We had to make the same decision a few years ago and it wasn't easy.
This is to let you know we are thinking about you.

Beano

Beano, thanks for that. Always good to get other opinions, even though we have made the decision. We hope to get an appointment today with the particular vet in the practice who treats our dogs. She knows how sensitive an issue it is for us and will carry out her task with sympathy and understanding. Neither of us is looking forward to it and no doubt there'll be tears on the way home, but, as always, we have to be sensible and look to the animal's best interest.

Oh dear, not a good day today. And, it will get worse, when we get home and have to dispose of all Eva's bedding and blankets, toys, etc. No doubt Tess will be affected too, losing her companion. Such is life.

Ann, Really sorry to hear the news about Eva, I have very little experience with dogs but can well understand the attachment that people have with their pets. When I was a kid my aunt and Grandparents who I lived with had a little black dog called "Mickey" no idea what breed it was, one day during the war it came into our backyard shivering like you wouldn't believe, it had been poisoned and died within in a few minutes, we always blamed a neighbour who was a retired Head Constable and one of the most miserable ignorant persons you could ever meet. Mauri

Thanks, Mauri. Final word on the subject. Dominic took Eva over to the vet yesterday morning and she was put to sleep. He wouldn't let me come as I was already upset about the whole thing and he advised me to stay with Tess. I was glad to agree as it wasn't something I was looking forward to. He himself ended up in tears in the vet's as I could tell by his red-rimmed eyes when he came home, although he told me later on anyhow.

Once Eva had gone out, I got all her bedding, blankets, toys, towels, etc and disposed of them as I didn't want to confuse Tess by having Eva's scent still in the house.

So far, so good. I don't really know if Tess is missing Eva or not and it could be that it will take a day or two for her to realise that Eva is gone for good. Anyhow, end of subject and thanks for listening.

Ann
Sorry to hear about your loss but it no doubt saved Eva a lot of pain. It brought back memories of when we lived at Lisnatrunk and I had a dog named Gyp. When our mother died in 1949 and we moved to Hilden to live with my paternal grandparents. I always wondered where it was and only realised a few years later our father had drowned it as we could not bring it with us.
donald

Parting is so hard for the owners of pets, but these things must be done. It is easier for the animal, as it is in ignorance & goes to sleep. We all have our memories of the good times.

Pat

Donald,

When I lived in Lisburn we had three dogs all great pets, and, they were all called "GYP"
Happy Memories,

Beano

Ann

Sorry to hear about Eva your little dog. I think you did the right thing by putting her to sleep. None of us would want to have to sit and watch our pets in pain. From what I have read about your pets, they have been very well taken care of. No poInt of having them unless you are prepared to give them lots of attention.

Frances

Thanks to everyone for your kind words.

Ann, sorry about your dog.I've allways had a dog,sometimes two and I know what it is like yo lose them. I have only one now, she will be 12 in December.
she is an Irish setter called Milly, we go to the beach for an hour every morning and round the village after tea.I'm hoping she will live for another year or two.
Leo.

Leo, thanks for that. I still think about Eva but know that we did the right thing. Tess is doing well, still very lively and in good health. She will be 13 next February. She has 2 walks a day, which she loves, is well looked after and knows she is loved by all the family. I am going on holiday at the weekend and Dominic will be looking after her. I know she will miss me as she follows me everywhere. I hope Milly lives for another few years, and Tess too.

Had Finn at the Vets Friday evening for his booster shots. The Vet said he was a picture of health & a great dog but too energetic for me. I asked him would he settle down later but he said beagles never tire, they are inexhaustible.!!!!!

Unfortunately I am not, so am considering offering him for s sniffer dog at Shannon. Would be sorry to part with him but facts are facts & I am not getting any younger & Joe has no interest.

Will let you know what happens...........Pat

If Finn is accepted as a sniffer dog, you'd better watch out next time you're flying from Shannon. Just imagine the explaining you'd have to do if Finn took a lunge over to you. You'd be searched from top to toe for drugs. LOL

Ann,

Never thought of that, but will take the chance. Anyway he is not there yet & might never be there.

Pat