Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oktoberfest

It started on Saturday and ends on the 5th October, unfortunately the weather has not been good. Maybe it will brighten up for all those who travelled from Australia, USA and New Zealand etc. to see it.Lots arrive a week earlier in Camping buses and camp out in the parking area there and enjoy a "Pre - Fest " at Andecs, the Monastery where they brew the best beer in the world. The Monks prepare each year for these visitor´s arrival and remove some of the seating and replace them with round tables to stand at. Also around the Bandstand in the Hofbräu Tent at the Fest are stand up drinking facilitates. Above the Bandstand there hangs a large plastic Angel Saint Alois playing a harp and it is custom for some ladies to remove their panties and throw them up to hang on it. The Facility manager´s first job each morning is to remove them with a long pole. It never ceases to amuse me when some of these revellers, answering the call of nature take their litre mugs with them when "relieving"themselves. I once read that it was common for girls in some countries to do this as sometimes it happens that when they go to the toilet and leave their drink on the table there is a possibility it would be "spiked " but not with men. Once about 30 years ago I had the privilege of accompanying some English speaking visitors to the Fest and one, after asking me where the "Bathroom " ( Lavatory or toilet are still apparently unclean words ) was , removed his dentures and waived them through his full litre of beer so no one would have a drink from it in his abstinence.
Yesterday at the Oktoberfest
I drank for Ireland, gave my best
Five litres and some more on top
Raw Herrings in a crusty bap
A Bratwust then up on top
Candied fruit I ate as well
Today my stomach´s playing H++l

donald

Re: Oktoberfest

Donald, the Oktoberfest sounds great fun. Don't know if I would trust using those tankards after what you tell about people urinating in them. Maybe I would bring my own.

Donald, regarding the word "lavatory". You can inform your visitors from whatever country who think the word is vulgar, that the Queen uses kthe term "lavatory", not "toilet", "loo" or any of the polite options but plain old "lavatory". Good enough for the Queen should be good enough for the Americans.

Donald, what an appetite you have. From today I am on my fat-free diet again as I have been "pigging out" over the last week. Daren't even go near the scales. Dominic, on the other hand, can eat and drink for Ireland and never puts on an ounce.

Have a great Oktoberfest.

Ann
I meant that people carry them to the toilet with beer not urine, apparently to stop others drinking out of them or " spiking " them . Nevertheless I find this not normal, so much as I love a beer I could never bring myself to drink out of a stranger´s glass.
I was first made aware of this "custom" some years ago when the owner of a Hotel in Austria told me about some of his guests practising this but only ever saw it at the Oktoberfest. Another habit I do not approve of is dancing and standing upon the tables when the band plays . Just imagine you come along and order some food or a giant Pretzel and lay them on the table and your fore-ganger had been to the toilet and after standing in the pee from the person who used the urinal before him climbed up and danced upon the table you are now using to lay your food upon!!!!
That was a poem I made up some time ago about the Fest, eating and drinking, I havn´t been yet as the weather has not been good, maybe it will brighten up next week. Tuesdays are the family days with reduced prices for food and amusement rides . If we go it will be at Lunch time as the crowds in the evening are too much for us and then the train ride home with so many drunken revellers is not pleasant. Also in the Beer tents it occasionally happens that drunks throw empty glass beer mugs around which can be highly dangerous.

donald

Donald, the man waving his dentures through the beer is off-putting as well. You never know what has been in your glass when you're out having a drink. Better not knowing, eh?

Ann
it takes all sorts to make a world.
I remember reading that somewhere in the world it is considered good manners and a compliment to your host to burp after eating
donald

Donald, it does indeed take all sorts I think the burping as an indication of enjoying the meal comes from some of the middle eastern countries. I doubt if this applies today, though. Cannot see them giving a huge belch after a meal at Buckingham Palace.

Having trouble with spam
donald

Donald, this SPAM thing is going to close the Exiles down eventually. People get fed up posting only to be told it is SPAM. When I say "people", I certainly mean myself.

I never have any trouble with Spam so is this just a UK problem or a local Lisburn problem. Daryl, why don't you give a technical explanation and at the same time resolve the problem or as Ann says it will eventually kill the Forum. Mauri

A

Hi Mauri,

It has happened to me a few times and I agree with Ann, it could mean the end of the Forum. It takes me a long time to type anything, it is very discouraging. I guess I have been lucky the last couple of entries, I would hate to see "OUR" Forum closed down because of Spam

Beano

The Oktoberfest is again in the news. An Australian who did not stop when the Zebra crossings lights turned red was knocked down and killed by a taxi driver who then drove on and later returned to the scene of the accident. Also an US soldier, stationed in Germany, was injured returning from the Fest and taken to hospital had to be shot in the leg to stop him wrecking the A&E when he started to riot and attacked the police who were called to protect the hospital staff.
donald

Donald, were these incidents the result of too much alcohol do you think? Mind how you do.

Ann
cannot post due to spam report
donald

Donald
Talkin' av spam, how's she slicin'?

one of them adverts keeps pooppin' up, sayin' if I have £250,000 he'll show me how to make it last. Jazus, if I had that sort of money, I'd show yis how to spend it.

Dabbler
yir heds a marley
donald

Keep 'er lit!

Dabbler, re the £250,000, I'm with you. I'd spend it too. In fact, Dominic would say I'm spending it anyhow.

Oktoberfest starts on Saturday, it will have to do without me as I would not feel comfortable in there with the high fence, being searched when entering and also the weather forecast predicts rainfall the complete time. Another deterrent for me is when sometimes drunken idiots throw beer steins around and dance upon the tables maybe after having been to the toilet and standing in the urine of those before him who ****** on the floor, then the next guests ( maybe myself) set their food and Pretzels on the table. The Company where I used to work had reserved boxes for its employees and we got free beer and food which was very generous. "Gone are the days my friend"!
donald

So Donald it looks like a carry out ?

Ted
have a look in Lidl, they have Perlenbacher Fest beer here for €0,39 for a half litre can!!!!. In a test on TV here it received better points than some beers that cost much more. €0,39 per half litre = €0,78 per litre. At the Oktoberfest a litre cost €10,80!!!!. My Scotch ancestry keeps coming through.
donald

Will do Donald I have to visit it shortly, hope they have it in stock ,Regards Ted

Donald , Lidl had the beer in question, I have placed them in the fridge and look forward to sample same tonight, Cheers Ted

Ted
Prosit, Prosit. Is it Fest beer with around 5,5% alkahol, they also brew a Pilsner which tastes OK also. In the TV program the Brewery was praised as they only use natural products.
donald

Donald,

AN IRISH NIGHY sounds positively peaceful compared to your posts 're October Fest Ughhh!,

Pat
sad but true, not all visitors behave so but unfortunatly some. There is another act which is now forbidden, guests used to stand on the table and drink a litre of beer in one go and were cheered on by their sorounding neighbours. Another unhygenic show was in the Hofbräu Tent above the bandstand is a large plastic figure of the Angel Alois who is supposedly the patron of brewers. Drunken ladies remove their panties and throw them up onto it. The caretaker has the unenviable job the next morning of removing and disposing of them.
donald