Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Pubs of Lisburn

Dabbler,a blond with a black skirt is all you need.

Alexander Mercer's ! COMES TO MIND regarding the pub opposite Nicholson and just below it there was a probably what we know now as an Off Licence Majors were you got a carry out long gone of course Regards Ted

i answered this and was rejected as it was considered spam,so there u go

Ann, Back in the old dsys women did not go into the pubs in Northern Ireland or if they did it was a back lounge or somewhere out of sight. I remember when my wife and I came back for a visit in January 1973 after a very long abscence, we were wandering around and decided to go in for a drink in "Mercers" I was not sure if my wife would be alowed into the front bar so I went in and asked the barman if it was alright to bring her in, he looke at me like I was nuts and said of course it is ??. Mauri

mauri
regarding people in pubs. on a visit quite a long while ago now, i was touring around loch neagh? with my wife and two young sons. at the end we came to a pub in aghalee i think, and i fancied a pint [been a hard day??] so my wife and i went in and i ordered a pint and a port and lemon and two lemonades, to take out to my sons in the car, it was a cool day, when i got back in ,the barman nodded me over, and said who are the lemonades for?. i said my two youngsters in the car. he looked at me and said for heavens sake , place is empty, bring them in. so that was a very nice thing to hear. wasn't much done in those days, to allow kids in pubs.

Mauri, regarding women not going to pubs in the "good old days". I remember a certain married couple who went to the pub every Saturday night. The pubs in those days closed at 10 pm I think. They worked all week and went out on a Saturday night for a drink. However, they were pointed out as a bad example.

Barney, was your reply long? I find that we appear to be limited to the amount of words we can use. That's just a guess, though. Doesn't happen to everyone as there was a long input from Mauri the other day and it got through. It's frustrating, though.

Ann
Barney, was your reply long? I find that we appear to be limited to the amount of words we can use. That's just a guess, though. Doesn't happen to everyone as there was a long input from Mauri the other day and it got through. It's frustrating, though.

no it was a very brief reply

Barney, that rules out my theory of long inputs. I wonder does a certain word set it off. I wish Darryl would find out.

Stephen,

In the 20s to the 40s, Mulligans on the Dublin Road was called the " Royal Hotel" it was owned by my great grandfather. He willed it to his daughter Lizzie Hanna,who lived with him at that time. Lizzie was to later marry Tommy Mulligan, from then on the pub was always referred to as Lizzie Mulligans.

Beano

Thanks very much Beano.

Was Lizzie Mulligans to become Marley's, and then the Gaffe Cutter, or were these all separate pubs?

Cheers!

Stephen, Another little tit bit of information. Lizzie Mulligan passed away, I am not sure when but Tommy later remarried a woman called Tilley and they retired to Bangor. Tommy passed away in the early 60s and Tilley later remarried a guy called Hugh Dawe and they moved to Lambeg as Hugh worked in Dunmurry, Both are now long deceased. Mauri

Hi Stephen,

I am pretty sure it was Marley's after Mulligans. I don't know the other names. I left Lisburn in 1961 when I got married to my best friend and we are still married.

Beano

Beano, I think you are right in saying "Marleys" was there after Mulligan. Tommy Mulligan used to drive a big black Humber car. He also owned quite a few houses on the Longstone and Warren Gardens and several fields at the back of Warren Gardens. We used to play soccer on one of them untill sometimes we would see his car pull up in Warren Gardens, we would grab our coats we were using for goalposts and run like hell the other way, thinking if he caught us we would be up in Lisburn Petty Sessions????? Mauri

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all of your help. I completed the blog tonight and you can have a read and look at the photos here

http://www.hibernialandscapes.com/blogposts/2014/8/1/the-old-pubs-of-lisburn

The Lisburn Exiles forum gets a mention in the thanks as well, as is only fair!

Hope you enjoy it and I'd love to hear some feedback.

Many thanks

Stephen

Hi the Gaffe Cutter was owned by my great grandparents. Peter and Jane McSorley. When Peter died leaving 4 young children Jane then ran the pub. Sadly she died 7 years after Peter. The children all were taken in by various relative's in co.armagh/tyrone area and the pub was sold. My aunt, now 92 told me this history of her grandparents.

1 2