Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Religion

Was ANY original 'holy book', ANY religion, ever written by a woman?

Re: Religion

Dabbler, I don't know. What type of holy books do you mean?

Bible, Koran, etc. All men, I suspect, with nice handy chauvinistic commandments like love homour and obey.
My missus never was one to read the rule book, bless her, so I ended up washing the dishes.

Dabbler, haven't checked about whether any women wrote holy books. In those days, and even now, women mostly were second-class citizens; only fit for child-bearing, cooking and cleaning. Hey, what's changed?

Ann, I still TALK a bit naughty, but I think women are badly treated - early forced marriages, female genitalia mutilation - all disgusting, and encouraged by religious leaders,

Dabbler, don't forget the families have the last say in these matters.

Ann, A hell of a lot hss changed re women over the years. I remember when my Aunt first wore a pair of slacks my Grandmother just about fainted which she did when she saw her smoking?? In todays Armed Forces you see women where they nevr were before, eg Navy Ships now have women working with the men I couldn't believe the first time I saw videos of a navy ship entering harbour with women lined up with the men.?look at the military bands all kinds of women playing all kinds of instruments both in the US and British Forces
The only area where women have still not attained equal status is in pay, now I am talking about civilian life as obviously in the Forces there is no difference in rank and pay. Hopefully in civilian life that too will change,in fact in a lot of industries and occupations it already has especially at the executive level. Mauri

The socio-economic situation in Western Society has changed dramatically in the past century. However, it continues to change throughout the world, and the priests and mullahs are pushing their male dominant beliefs, using fear of hell and ****ation to frighten gullible families, and keep them subdued.

To say nothing of censorship, enforced by petty-minded religious groups. How on Earth can you pick four letters from a ten letter word and censor the four?

OK; from a nine letter word.

Ann
Families are led to believe that their culture is correct. I've had a few injuries myself,seen and even treated a few, but the very mental image of FGM makes me shudder. All for their own good, of course - ss say the families.

Dabbler, the men don't volunteer for these practices. As for the mothers, why don't they use their commonsense.

Mauri, I would like to see the first man carry and give birth to a baby. Yis don't know yer livin'.

Hi all,

Talking about womens' equality Joe remarked that he does not see many of them canvassing for work in the building trades or any other entailing hard work!!!!

Pat

Religion was the main reason I went to England. When you went for a job in Lisburn in the 1950's the first question was what school did you go to.
If I had stayed in Lisburn I would have been a builders labourer all my life,
but thanks to Hilden school I was well versed in the three R's and soon got a good job in England.
Religion caused another problem.I had a girlfriend from over the bridge, one sunday evening in late June or early mad month. like we did in them days a few of us boys and girls walked down the fly side to the bottom Fuscos and then up the other side.
We were passing the chemist shop when a woman ran out of the hallway and got hold off my girlfriend and yelling at me ,fenian pig keep away from my daughter, caused a right scene. I am sure some of you who write on here will remember this or have heard about it.
Anyway it all turned out for the best, I met my wife and lived happily ever after. And she was a prod.

Leo,

I think Noriron will never change, it is maybe behind closed doors now, but the old problem is still there, them & us.

I remember a Mother saying to her daughter, a friend of mine, who was going out with a boy from the Longstone, "He'll have you up there soon & the priest will be throwing Holy Water over you.!!

Needless to say these were only youthful fancies for us, the boyfriends, I mean, we were innocent of bigotry, it is the parents who pass it on with words & actions.

I believe the saying "Ireland unfree will never be at Peace" is true.

Pat