Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Dixie Munn [the artist ]

I have a painting of Dixie munns,he painted it for me as a Wedding Present in 1962.It is of an old Cottage in the Glenties Co Donegal.

Hi Darryl & Dennis.

If either of you would like more information on these paintings.

Please Email me your Email address.

johndunlop@sympatico.ca

John

Dennis, would you be the author of the Slemish book. I have just lent my copy out so can't look up the title. I have just recently read it a second time and lived every moment of it. I was trying to place the house you lived in opposite the Barber playing fields, and I think I remember it. I loved especially the report of what the "gang" got up to, so beautifully written and one of my very favourite books, so true of life then and made me think much, and brought a tear to my eye.

Thanks for your kind words about Climbing Slemish. The house you refer to is Walterville - it is still there, a block of two semi-detached rather solid houses just across from the Playing fields. I think the name Walterville is still there, on a plaque on the front. That was where my parents, and elder brother, lived for a couple of years. I was born the year they moved to Causeway End - 1936. If you need a replacement copy of Climbing Slemish - get in touch.

Dennis

Jim
John
Dixi was very frequent customer in the Grocery shop, nearly every day. I delivered grocery's to his house, which was a whitewashed thatched cottage, many times which was on the Causeway end road, now all knocked down to make way for the houses and estates that are there now.
He was born with no arms his hands were connected to his shoulders and he held the paint brushes in his mouth, and as you know from the pictures Jean has, was a very component artist especially landscapes we also had a picture of the Mourn Mountains but I don't know where it went when my parents passed away. I believe his paintings are valuable now.

He was only one of the characters that were customers like Jimmy McCormick who called for his plug of tobacco every morning on his way to the Causeway end where he carried the drinking water from the pump to a lot of the houses there who had not got running water and he would do a little jig if asked he hated to be told he was late he nearly went mad Artie (Jean's husband) and Sidney Bryans used to keep him going.

Another was Kitty McConville who lived across the road from the shop in the old cottages, that were knocked down to build the banks etc that are there now, beside the McKees (Sparrow, Norman Etc) and Billy Lilley on one side and McMullens on the other. She worked in the mill and walked there every day in bare feet and wore an apron made from a sugar bag from the shop. There were many more too many to write about. Changed times
Will talk to you soon.

just seen your post dixi was my great uncle i have the last painting he ever done not signed even my dad took it of the easel lol, many happy memories of the causway end road

1 2