Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cecil Walker

Daphne, Just to let you know your cousin Sylvia's husband Cecil Walker has received an MBE in the Queens Birthday Honours. It is for service to cricket and very well deserved. He even cuts the wicket most weeks. Regards Margaret

Re: Cecil Walker

Thanks Margaret for the info about Cecil. His daughter Gloria had contacted me - he certainly deserves the recognition as he has spent most of life involved with the Cricket.

Wonderful news about Cecil and so well deserved. He put a lifetime's work into Lisburn Cricket Club alone. I also think his wife Sylvia should be rewarded as she too put in many hours in the Club providing food etc for the teams not to mention the Club Nights when she entertained everyone with her musical talents on the piano. Congratulations to the both of them. A lovely couple and always make me feel so welcome should I call on them when I am in N Ireland. Next the Knighthood Cecil!

Aldene: I agree with you about Sylvia - she also dedicated her life supporting Cecil. I will be talking with them tomorrow. Hope all is well. Do you remember the night we both went to the Cricket and Sylvia was with us - that was the day that McCullagh showed up with his mother - those were the days my friend.

Yes Daphne, as the song goes 'Oh yes, I remember it well'!
On another note there would be none prouder than Aunt Minnie if she were here today, she absolutely adored Cecil and he her, as you know she lived with them for many years, not something every son-in-law would be happy with.
On another claim to family fame, Tania has been nominated to carry the Olympic Torch in N Ireland in 2012!
Please send my very best wishes & congratulations to Syvia & Cecil when you talk to them.

Hi Daphne and Aldene,

I agree with the comments re.Cecil, he is a wonderful Ambassador for Cricket. Personally I think Sir Cecil Walker M.B.E. would sound terrific for a man so dedicated.

Margaret,

Thank you for letting us all know on the Forum about Cecil's appointment. I know your husband Tom had a long relationship in cricket with the man of the hour.

Beano

Aldene: I just got off the phone with Sylvia and Cecil - they think the celebration will be in September and Gloria and her daughter Jill get to go as well. Yes Aunt Minnie would have been in her glory - both Sylvia and Cecil were very good to her. We talked about them taking me to Portrush as well as to my first formal dance which of course was a Cricket Club dance - that was in 1955 - my first long dress and I felt wonderful. So happy to hear about Tania - this is a wonderful honor indeed. When is it being held.

Congratulations to Cecil Walker & Sylvia. Mrs Elliot (Sylvia's mother) worked in the Examining in Hilden & she was always talking about Cecil & Sylvia, she lived for them & was a very nice lady. I knew them both through her conversations & photographs, tho' I never met them, but knew them to see in town with her.

She would have been so proud of this news. Have a great day, sport deserves recognition. What about Ireland winning the Cricket this year too.?

Pat

Morning

i stumbled across this post and it s areal shot in the dark. I am desperately looking for any contact details for Cecil Walker. I am from South Africa and was in Lisburn just over a year ago to visit him. I have been unable to contact him. I received a card from him recently but there were no contact details on it

I would be very grateful if you could supply me with a telephone number or an email address for him or Gloria

Sincerely
Shaun Bennett

Hi Shaun,

I've mailed Gloria on Facebook. I'll let you know if she gets back to me.

Darryl

Hi Shaun,

I heard back from Gloria and I understand you have made contact directly.

All the best, Darryl