Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GDP plunge sparks double-dip recession fears

This headline refers to the UK economy. Wearing my 'SEER' hat, I predict this will not happen. Not that the 'working classes' will notice, but the economy is on a gradual uphill run. A few dips will be encountered on the recovery road, but the actions that have been taken, by both governments in the UK, and by Western countries on the whole, will prove adequate in turning the world economy round - slowly.
It would not have made much difference which Party was elected in Britain. The economic endgame wold have been the same. The Weatern governments, in a Capitalist world, had no choice but to plough billions back into the banks. Not to have done so would have caused the collapse of Capitalism. As an eighteen-year-old, I would have thought this a great result. As an old man who has seen the collapse of Communism in the Soviet Union, I see our system as the better option. 'The workers', as opposed to the 'Industrialists and Bankers', always have and always will, suffer most in a downturn, starting out as they do, from a much more impoverished position. Staunch Conservative supporters will, wrongly, blame the 'recession' on Labour policies. It is possible that a Conservative government, by making severe cuts in Public Spending, would have kept the country more viably solvent. Militant Labour supporters would probably be correct in believing that severe cuts in Public Spending (less borrowing), would/will be reflected in a lower standard of services in general.
For the lucky people who have sufficient funds, and a reasonable life span ahead, you would do well to invest now in stocks and shares, including Banks. It will not be a smooth upward rush, but, with sound judgment and a strong heart, you'll be richer in a few years time.