Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dan Gorman

Hi I am looking some information or photos of my grandfather Dan Gorman, he had his own barber shop in Lisburn where McCalls is now. Thank you

Re: Dan Gorman

Hi Monica,

I have read your grandfather's name on the Forum a few times, I hope some of the regulars can help you.

Beano

Monica, your grandfather, Dan Gorman, was an uncle of my husband, Dominic. He married Lily McCann (a sister of Dominic's mother) and they had 8 children I think. They lived in the Tonagh Estate. Dan had a thriving barber's shop in the spot you mentioned. Later, his son, Donal, worked there too.

I was trying to work out who you might be and I have come to the conclusion that you may be a daughter of the late Gabriel Gorman. Gabriel is the only one of the family who lived away from Lisburn.

I hope this is of some small help to you. I can give you a lot more information if you are interested.

Best wishes.

This reference to Dan Gorman sends me back to one of my first posts on the forum, when I wrote about Patsy (Wobbler) Bradley working in a local barber shop. Donal Gorman did the same job, 'wobbling' the lather unto the chins of those about to be shaven. My memory of these is very slight and distant, but Dan did cut my hair, as did Marshall Bleakley, and the one in Piper's Hill. And Jimmy Collins, Bridge Street.

Monica, Could you please email me @ tomasmccann2014mc@gmail.com. Dan Gorman was my father's brother-in-law, his wife (Lily) being his sister. I am working on a McCann family tree and may be able to help you, and , perhaps, you me! Thanks, Tom McCann, Launceston, Tasmania.

Ann, your husband Dominic is my cousin. Dan wife Lily, and his sister Evelyn were my father's sisters. My father was Joe McCann. Could you please email me @ tomasmccann2014mc@gmail.com. Thanks, Tom McCann.

Tom I e-mailed you this evening. Let me know if you received the e mail please.

Donal Gorman lives opposite me. If you want to contact him I will give him a message. His wife Mary and he have four children, Elizabeth, Donal, Owen and Karen. They are all married and have children of their own. Hope this helps Margaret

Thanks for the information Margaret. Yes, I would love to be in contact with Donal. Could you please pass on my email tomas2014mc@gmail.com. Tom McCann

I have given your Email address to Donal who will get his daughter Karen to help. All the best Margaret

Nice to see how family can be linked up on this site.

Thanks, Margaret. I really appreciate your help. Looking forward to be in touch with Donal from the other side of the world, Tasmania. Cheers, Tom

Hi,
Have you seen the poem re your granda Dan Gorman Barbour shop?

Helen