Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Memorial Service

Well yesterday I attended a memorial service at the Korean wall of Rememberance in Brampton. What a turn out must have been about four hundred veterans both marching in the parade or just standing or sitting as spectators. It was a stinking hot day about 31oC plus the humidity and several were overcome by the heat. The usual salutes were made, Last Post Reville,prayers etc.then a flock of doves were released which I thought was very moving. There are five hundred and sixteen names of Canadian servicemen killed in the Korean War inscribed on the wall. Afterwards we attended a luncheon put on by the Korean Embassy at the new Mississauga convention centre which is a beautiful building and were entertained by several Korean dancing troupes, we were also presented with souvineers from the Korean Government to mark the occasion which was the 57th anniversary of the cease fire. All in all quite a day and to think I was only 21 during my first tour of operations in Korea, yet seems like only yesterday.???? Mauri

Re: Memorial Service

Mauri, the service yesterday would have been very moving I'm sure. When we think about memorial services for the different Forces, we here are inclined to forget that other countries gave of their young too in the strive for peace. I'm only speaking personally of course, but we're inclined to forget the young Canadians, Australians and the rest. May they all rest in peace.

Mauri, on another subject but one which you briefly mention in your posting, ie. the weather. We over here are having a very poor July. As I speak, another dull, damp day looms. I for one am a bit fed up with it all. I mean, the nights are on the change already and we haven't really had a summer. I suppose we should be well used to this, but could God not give us a wee treat for a change. No more lying in the back garden in my bikini.

I'm in a reading mood at present. It wasn't actually raining for a while yesterday. I took my book and went out for a sit on the deck. I had only sat down 20 mins or so, and was enjoying my read, when a fine drizzle sent me scurrying inside again.

At least I have several books to read and I suppose if I was houseproud I could find plenty to do in the house. I'm not houseproud, however, so a quick hoover and polish suffices to keep my conscience clear on that score.

Mauri, enjoy the sun. Wish I was there.

Ann, Yes we have been having a really nice summer up to now, although we have also had a lot of rain via thunderstorms which is good for the lawns. Yesterday Joy and myself drove up to the little town of Penatang which is about thirty miles north of us,usually it is a lovely drive up a twisty highway partly along side a lake, however as we were about half way there the heavens opened and visibility was vastly reduced so we had to slow down However on the way back a few hours later the sun was out again. We had gone there to go to a little theatre sitting right by the water to see a comedy called "See How They run", which we both enjoyed.
I know how you feel about the weather, when its nice Ireland ranks among the most beautiful places in the world but when you get that cold drizzle and real damp weather, "Yucks", I remember way back in January 1958 I was living in Florida and flew home to attend a relative's funeral,even though I was muffled up at the funeral with great coat scarf and uniform hat I nearly froze in the walk from the top of the Longstone to the cemetary on the Dublin Road. I was really glad to get back to the warm climate. Mauri

Mauri, Joy and yourself visiting a theatre by the river sounds wonderful. You make Dominic and myself feel like a stuffy old couple by comparison.

Ann & Mauri,

I find in Canada there is not as much attention paid to age as here. The Seniors have a full life going out often & driving miles to holiday. They stay younger in heart more, are more independent & enjoy life to the full. Mauri is a great example of this, he could be 40 by his outlook on life.

They have that pioneer spirit, found here only in the far West of Ireland where farmers over 90 still toil at the farm every day, some living on their own. I admire them all.

No wonder I love going to Canada. Ony thing is I can't keep up with the "young ones" there.

Pat

Mauri,

July has indeed been a rainy month, today it is another wet one & this is our holiday w/end.!

Will spend it getting the ironing done & tidying the house for family visitors, no doubt there will be some in the rain, when sea & sand is out.

2 weeks off for the workers now, so hope August brings the sun back & usually September & October are quiet months, before the Winter is "in on us" as the Lisburn saying goes.

This year seems to have flown or is it just my age? Pat

Ann & Pat, "Geez". You guys really make a guy feel young.? Holiday week end here as well this week-end we are spending a quiet one at home and having the neighbours over for a BBQ. The big event in Toronto is "Carabana" which is a West Indies carnival and parade with lots of steel bands and colourful costumes, however over the years problems have arisen with drugs and booze as the participants gather on Toronto Island, I went to it one year and that was enough. Hope you guys enjoy your weekend and that the weather has improved. Mauri

Pat, I meant to say that I agree with you about the time slipping in, didn't somebody once say that life is like a toilet roll.once you get near the end it seems to go faster.???. Mauri

Mauri,

Maybe it is because we appreciate each day more now & savour each one that time becomes so elusive.

As regards the w/end the weather is misty & drizzly this morning, so stayed at home. We have two adolescent grandchildren staying for the w/end, so plenty of young company, the inflatable bed is in use again.

I am looking forward to the wedding end of August in Marbella, hopefully the weather willl be sunny & warm.

Pat, 'the inflatable bed is in use again'

THE MIND BOGGLES.

Ann,

Pat

Hi Mauri,

I just read your account of the Korean War Memorial Service, I saw a lot of it on television. City TV gave it very good coverage, and not before time.
I remember Billy Mercer from Gregg St was a P.O.W.,in the Korean conflict. He served with the Kings Own Scottish Borderers, when he came home, they had a great homecoming welcome for him,I think the whole of the Co.Down turned out for it.

Beano

You Know Beano, the name Billy Mercer rings a bell with me but just can't place him. I had a good friend in Toronto that I worked with years ago who was also in the KOSBs his two young sons got involved with drugs in Toronto so he and his wife took them back to Berwick on Tweed where one of the sons committed sucide not long after they returned, was very sad. Of course the KOSBs also had Bill Speakman who was awarded the VC. Did you know Jackie Bustard from Smithfield who was in the Royal Ulster Rifles and was killed in Korea?? How is the physical condition,improved I hope. Mauri

The Bustards I knew, and who are now a very distant memory, were from Lambeg.
Billy, Stanley, and, I think, Emma.
I wrote in here, already several years ago, that on one occasion Tommy Lewis visited the court rooms in Lisburn to see Billy plead not guilty to a charge of assault. " Jaze!" exclaimed the boul Tommy, on noting Bustard's black eye; " I wouldn't like to see the other fella."

Dabbler, I think we went through this before,? I don't think the Bustards in Railway View lambeg were connected to the ones in Smithfield,though I could be wrong. Jackie had a sister called Helen who went to school with me, in fact was in the same class,and the reason I know the address of the Lambeg ones is because I delivered a few telegrams there during the war, "How's that for memory"?. Jackie was a year or two older than me and joined the Army not long after I joined the Navy. Mauri

Mauri
I can't remember what I wrote five minutes after I write it.

Dabbler, Welcome to the club. Mauri

Mauri

How wonderful to read! Helen Bustard is my great aunt