Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
'Turner Cup'

Hi I have recieved this request from Ian Ervine
Vice President Canadian Network Broadcasting

I was curiously looking up something about darts and wondered if you could tell me what the 'Turner Cup' was for darts. The initials BJFL are on the front. It's a small 'medal' looking award. I'm assuming it was darts as apparently my great grandfather Thomas Bann was a champ in Lisburn. I believe he passed away in the 1970's. Just wondering if I should insure this... protect it...

Do any of you dart fiends know anything about this cup or Thomas Bann?

Jim

Re: 'Turner Cup'

Jim
is it possible that The name Bann has been wrongly engraved and should be Baine or Bain which was a much more popular name in Lisburn?
donald

Hi Jim and Donald,

The name wasn't wrongly spelt, it was indeed Bann, Tommy Bann to be exact, and a very good friend of my family. The Turner Cup was a team prize for darts in the old Temperance league in Lisburn,individual players were awarded medals, same as in football.
Tommy Bann started his dart career with "D" Post in the A.R.P.,for you younger ones, that was Air Raid Patrol in the second world war. The captain of "D" post was a man called Bob Beattie from the Hillhall road,he was very well liked by all who knew him. After the war the A.R.P had to find new premises to continue their darts, so,Tommy Bann along with a number of friends built a hall at the top of Graham St.. When Bob Beattie died, Tommy was instrumental in having the new building,renamed, Beattie Memorial Hall and Tommy Bann was the first captain of the newly named dart team.
Incidentally "Mauri" was a friend of Stanley Bann, Tommy's son, they were in the CLB together.

Beano

Beano, I still am usually see him any time I am over there,and he has been over here quite a few times touring around. Mauri

Who was the best darts player in N Ireland during the past twenty years?

Jim, Tommy Bann lived at Saintfield Park in Lisburn. His son Stanley plays golf and was on the Merchant Navy. He is married to Brenda Stranaghan. He is a member of LGC and did play golf with Stanley Howard. Hope this steers you in the right direction. Margaret

Beano, good on ya. You're back again. You can't keep a good one down. Glad you're well.

Hi Billy (Beano)

I second what Ann has said , good that you are back online .
How does your head hold all this information . Know anything about the Housewives Service or Salvage Stewards .Ha Ha
All the best to yourself and Doreen , and family
Tommy

What a welcome surprise Beano, great to see you on line again. Keep well.

Pat

Hello, i was doing a bit of research on beattie memorial hall and came across this thread. I would love to trace the deed holder on the hall as it hasnt been used in many years and i feel it is going to waste. would you have any further info that may help me?

Dabbler
Who was the best darts player in N Ireland during the past twenty years?

not me anyway Dabbler for i could,nt throw aff
a game i never followed

I also have one of the medals, won by my father around the Second World War. He played for Borderers. Tommy McStea was his name.