Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lapse's of Discipline

A couple of us have mentioned incidents where pupils had had enough of upopular teachers and McMinn the attendance officer. I would like to relate a couple of incidents that happened in the Royal Navy where discipline was pretty strict and punishment for violations of it severe.
In the first incident an admiral called Eaton who incidently was my captain in the Boy's training establishment where I spent a year was coming on board his flagship and was being welcomed by as was customery a piping party (boatswains whistles not bagpipes) one member of this party was from Nothern Ireland, he was really ****** off because his shore leave had been stopped so that he was available to take part in the ceremony. As Admiral Eaton stepped from the ganway on to the ship this individual broke ranks and hit the Admiral knocking him back into the sea where he had to struggle to stay afloat, being fully dressed in ceremonial rig including sword etc.
The assailment was at the same time screaming abuse,it took several men to hold him and eventually he was court martialed and received two years in a navy prison and a bad conduct discharge.
The other incident happened on the first ship I was on when we were stationed at the RN base in Simonstown South Africa. We had several South African guys on board who had joined the Royal Navy trained in England and then were drafted to ships on the South Atlantic station. The guy involved in this incident was named Le Roux and was from Capetown, He was continually in trouble and as a result of being absent without leave was up in front of the Captain for punishment. When the Captain read out the punishment Le Roux glared at him and then lunged across the table and knocked the Captain on his ass, he was of course immediatley arrested and subsequently received a bad conduct discharge. He didn't get any gaol time simply because there was no British military gaols in South Africa and to send him back to the UK was too expensive and I guess they thought seeing as he was South African it was better to get rid of him there. Mauri