Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A new party

We were invited to a new type of party, sign of the times..... A Redundancy Party. My daughter-in-law took early retirement from Guinness's on 31st Oct. at 50. Arthur offered a family party for free, so we were all gathered in an Italian resturant on Saturday, both sides of the famiily & a few workmates & friends.
The food was delicious, a 4/course meal with wines & Guinness flowing. We toasted Arthur many time as the glasses were filled..

As it is not often all the family are together in one place, we finished the revels a 3.00a.m. (I retired to the cries of Cinderella at midnight). No one had a hangover next day, so after a hearty breakfast, we left for home, the stragglers staying for shopping in Dublin & Kildare Village.

My daughter-in-law got a great deal, both working for Guinness & on retiring, getting 6 weeks pay for every year, plus many other perks, including the farewell party at work & one for the family. She can return on a contract basis if she wishes to take up employment again.

While working there she had free private medical care, good holiday & sick days, good recreational facilities, 2 pints of Guinness a day or 2 bottles of wine per week, plus many others I can't recall. So God bless Arthur Guinness for an employer, there are not many like him now.

After all the rain, which is still with us, we had a sunny w/end, hope you all had a good one too.

Pat