Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BIG 'P' and bits and pieces.

Went to Tescos today for the weekly shop. Left the painter in charge of the house and my wee dogs, who I had to lock in the kitchen in case they would rub against the paint.

Dominic and I were walking around Tescos minding our own business when I suddenly got a dig in the ribs. It was a HARD dig. On turning round, there was my great friend, Big P. She's not big at all, well she is tall, but has a "to die for" figure as I've mentioned before.

She told me that a certain Brendan Matier keeps her informed of the chat relating to her on the Forum. I assured her it was all complimentary. She's a great girl, has a brilliant sense of humour and covers us both in kisses and hugs when she meets us. Her husband is quiet but a lovely person nevertheless. Like myself, his hearing isn't too good. Like myself, he smiles a lot to try and cover up his hearing deficiency. We're kindred spirits.

Peggy was 80 years of age recently and hasn't stopped celebrating. She was cooking a dinner tonight for some friends. The full works - starter, main course, dessert and cheeseboard. When I enquired what her main course was she told me it was Beef Bourginon (wrong spelling). I tried to give her tips on cooking it. Peggy wasn't having it. She told me in no uncertain terms that she KNEW how to cook, that I was "putting her head away" and insulted me as best she could. ALL IN GOOD HUMOUR. I called her "Mrs Bouquet" and we left with tears running down our cheeks. I sincerely hope she has a great night. Knowing P there's no way the night will fail to please. She definitely is a one-off. I cannot believe she is 80, she would pass for 60 and has the figure of a teenager PLUS she is SO fit.

Dominic was cross about the bill - I daren't tell you what it came to, but I comforted him with the fact that next week it will be less. Tell them anything.

When I came home, I cooked a beef stew, a very large one, very slowly, to use next week. Well, it will provide at least two dinners, so I will freeze one. Made a pot of Irish stew with neck of lamb, which was on offer. Made spag bol for the childer for dinner but oldest tasted, turned down the sauce, and that was thrown out. Talk about a spoilt child, only he's 47.

Dominic and I are having breaded fish with oven chips and peas.

I bought smoked salmon, half price, which I love. Made myself a delicious smoked salmon, with capers, sandwich when we came home, on wheaten bread. Of course, no-one will eat the smoked salmon but myself.

I think I've kept you up to date. What are the rest of you doing?

I can't help but reflect on my Low Road upbringing. Smoked salmon, beef stews, spag bol - unheard of. Are we any better off?