Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5
Author
Comment
Re: Belfast/Ritz

Lorna

Pat
Beth Mercer, my sister-in-law, is alive and well and living on the Isle of Man with her husband,children and grandchildren

Lorna,

Small world. Glad to hear Beth is alive & well. She was a lovely wee girl, we were all about 8 or 9 then and she used to be in the shop with her parents.

A lovely family. Give her my regards & say I remember Mercer's with fondness, with the smell of the oranges & Kemp apples & that special wee window at floor level.

Pat

Lorna, Eileen died in Australia in 1991 I think it was,her ashes were returned to Lisburn as per her wishes and interred in Lisburn cemetary, like you say she really was a lovely lady and more like a brother to me than an aunt. Mauri

I just found this on facebook... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-back-montgomerys-butterscotch/245075995575374 "Bring back montgomerys butterscotch"!

Is there anyone who knows the recipe? Has it been handed down? :-)

Darryl, Montgomery's ice-cream was delicious. Inside the shop, there was a snug little pink and grey tiled parlour, with small circular tables where we ate our ice creams. I never saw so many dishes of accompaniments - chocolate flakes, chocolate dips, jellies of all colours, coconut, butterscotch; so many, I cannot now remember them all, but maybe someone else will.

An ice-cream parlour would do well in Lisburn, even today.

Montgomery's was also spotlessly clean. The ice cream making process was on display for all to see, and the ladies who served were spick and span.

Ann

I remember the butterscotch milk shakes made with lots of ice cream. I have never tasted the like since. Hope they will be in heaven!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm - they will.

I don't remember their butterscotch, but clearly on Facebook some people do! Would love to try it.. :)

Darryl,

If you tried it once you would be addicted to it. Delicious! Montgomery's & all the old shops in Lisburn (like the bakeries) were full of good produce. Although the shops were small they were big in customers. Quality before quantity was the answer.

Pat

Hi

My great auntie owned Montgomerys. My grandpa worked in the fish and chip shop. My dad told me aunt Lena borrowed 10,000 quid to buy icecream machinery. My dad and his cousin used to go down the south with their uncle to get the sugar on the black market. Would you have any pics of it in its heyday. Thanks, Kerry

Hi, Stewart Topping was my grandpa. Aunt Lena who owned Montgomerys was his sister, Regards, Kerry

Kerry Hart
Hi

My great auntie owned Montgomerys. My grandpa worked in the fish and chip shop. My dad told me aunt Lena borrowed 10,000 quid to buy icecream machinery. My dad and his cousin used to go down the south with their uncle to get the sugar on the black market. Would you have any pics of it in its heyday. Thanks, Kerry
Kerry
I remember Montgomerys for their fish and chips,best in town. Kitty Molly was renowned for her ice cream.
donald

Montgomery's had the best milk shakes I have ever tasted. I went to the Tech but could only afford to frequent Montgomerys once a week!

Re: Belfast

Hi Tom,
Tracked you down al last! Long time since we were in Kheitan in Kuwait at the New English School. When you get this contact me via my website avizent dot com Thanks Richard Page

1 2 3 4 5