Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5
Author
Comment
Re: Belfast

Brendan W. The Mayfair was originally called the Kelvin and played mostly short films, cartoons and newsreels. I can't remember when they renamed it the Mayfair but I think it was after the war. Mauri

Brendan, Maybe you didn't realize it but I used to gamble just as much as Buzzer in those days,don't you remember Tom Haire catching me and I'm not sure who else playing puntoon in the cart shed,the main reason I moved on from the PO. When I was over in 73 I saw Irene and Theo in the Linenhall st building, but never anybody else since. Sammy died in 1971. Mauri

I,m trying to remember the name of the cafe in Smithfield market Belfast where you got a fry for 10p Continental?
Who remembers the Brasserie cafe in the Square in Lisburn? As boys we used to smirk going past as it sounded similar to an item of ladies clothing! Fickle Youth
Donald

Donald, The Continental in Smithfield I remember well. Used to have my lunch there sometimes. Always the same order (thick pork sausages with mash and veg.

Then a wee dander round Smithfield Market, sometimes buying a record. Brought an LP home one time, got out the record player, forgetting that the LP was bigger than the record player. Before I could hear a note, I put the lid down and "smash" went the new record.

Donald
I,m trying to remember the name of the cafe in Smithfield market Belfast where you got a fry for 10p Continental?
Who remembers the Brasserie cafe in the Square in Lisburn? As boys we used to smirk going past as it sounded similar to an item of ladies clothing! Fickle Youth
Donald

Ah yes, I remember it well; as Maurice Chevalier would have said.

Dabbler
Donald

Donald

Ah yes, I remember it well; as Maurice Chevalier would have said.

I MIND THEM BOTH AND GREASY LIZZIES IN SMITHFIELD ALSO

Was The Brasserie below Verneys or some name like that dance hall

Mauri
Brendan, Maybe you didn't realize it but I used to gamble just as much as Buzzer in those days,don't you remember Tom Haire catching me and I'm not sure who else playing puntoon in the cart shed,the main reason I moved on from the PO. When I was over in 73 I saw Irene and Theo in the Linenhall st building, but never anybody else since. Sammy died in 1971. Mauri

wae that Buzzer Topping??

Barney, The cinema you are speaking about originally THE KELVIN later to become THE MAYFAIR and later still, when it started showing news and cartoons (supposedly for travellers passing through Belfast), it became THE TATLER Brendan.

http://www.culturenorthernireland.org/article.aspx?art_id=406&cmd=print

Belfast cinemas

Brendan
The Brasserie was in the Assembly Room buildings, on the first floor, with windows looking out on McCartney,s photo studio and John Nicholson,s statue.
Donlad

Yes Barney, His father ran the Stores pub in
Bow Street. Mauri

I was doing some online research for my son's school family history project and happened across this 2009 conversation. The Trocadero Cafe (later called Cafe Marguerite) was owned by my dad Peter Battisti. I remember the cafe for many reasons - in part because I 'helped' my dad at the counter at a very early age but also because I 'helped' myself to the meat pies, ice-cream, and fish and chips.

Tom
Thanks for bringing me back to read these comments.
Full of nostalgia.

Tom,

That name Battisti brings back happy memories of coming out of the night classes at the Tech & all roads led to The Trocadero for hot pies & peas with vinegar. It was always crowded.

Sometimes we were so carried away with our conversation, the peas were flying in all directions,
the ice cream was popular with the boys mostly.

The cafe was a meeting place for the young, something like the clubs now, only we had food instead of drink.

Lovely to hear from you, a voice from the past, love to hear what happened to the shop, after we "grew up" & moved on from the hot pies & peas.

Pat

hello Pat

The shop closed in the mid-sixties after Tom Battisti Sr. passed away in Omagh. Peter (my dad) opened a fish&chip shop in Belfast which stayed in business until the early seventies when redevelopment forced it's closure. We all resettled in California but my parents decided to move back to Belfast in the early 80's. My dad passed away in 1995. My mum (Marguerite) is still alive and definitely kicking in Belfast. Lately I've decided a return to Northern Ireland would be good for my two kids - Peter and Anna. One day I'll take them back to Bridge Street to see number 17.

Tom

Hi Tom This is a blast from the past I remember the Cafe well Pete then drove a Le Francis which sat outside, not to many of them about, and as for Sunday nights it was hard to get a table as it was mostly a full house, but I wonder Tom do you remember Dessie Douglas who worked in the cafe then, what became of him? I went to school with him, he came from Bridge St I think, nice to talk with you Tom and welcome to the forum. Regards Ted

I remember the "Brasserie'at the Taxi rank near to the door of the "Assembly Rooms'.It didn't last long if I recall,A little bit upmarket for Lisburn at the time. That Cinema opposite Joe Kavanagh's "I buy anything" shop in Smithfield was called "The Central" I think it's nickname was 'The Jampot',I believe you could gain entry ,for two clean Jam-jars at one time,before my time.There also was 'The Lyceum' near Duncairn Gardens,The Clonard,and the Diamond on the Lower Falls Rd.The Alhambra in North St.Had a Bar in the Balcony where you could stand with a Pint and watch the Movie........Frank

frank stewart
I remember the "Brasserie'at the Taxi rank near to the door of the "Assembly Rooms'.It didn't last long if I recall,A little bit upmarket for Lisburn at the time. That Cinema opposite Joe Kavanagh's "I buy anything" shop in Smithfield was called "The Central" I think it's nickname was 'The Jampot',I believe you could gain entry ,for two clean Jam-jars at one time,before my time.There also was 'The Lyceum' near Duncairn Gardens,The Clonard,and the Diamond on the Lower Falls Rd.The Alhambra in North St.Had a Bar in the Balcony where you could stand with a Pint and watch the Movie........Frank

Frank The Brasserie was above a Drapers shop in Market Square, as boys we used to smirk over the name as it was similar to an item of ladies underwear. The Central was nicknamed in my time "The Smithfield Ritz ". I was never in there but some one told me that the seating was long wooden forms. I heard that story about the jam pot as entrance fee but I think you did not give the jam pot up at the pay box, you went to a grocery shop nearby and then jam pots were like lemonade bottles and when buying jam you had to pay a deposit which was returned when you gave the pot washed back.
Reminds me of a chap from Liverpool telling us about his aunt who was addicted to Bingo. When she had no cash she went to a shop where she got credit, got a case of lemonade on credit, came home emptied the contents down the sink and took the empty bottles to another shop where she got the deposit and used this as entrance fee to the Bingo!

Hello Ted

I remember the name Dessie Douglas but alas not what became of him. I recall hearing about the Lea-Francis from my mum and that my dad was a car enthusiast. Then again, if this was the fifties anyone with a car might have been described as an 'enthusiast'. I'm still amazed by the absence of cars in old black and white photos of the day. If my mum knew anything about computers she would be bending everyone's ear about now. Of course I have fond memories of my childhood in Lisburn and this forum's recollections provide evidence I'm not the only one. If my memory serves Harry Eastwood owned a pub almost opposite the Trocadero in Bridge Street. Last I hear Harry (my dad's best man) was living in the South allegedly as a tax exile. Hopefully he's still alive and well. There is one name I recall who's involvement in our lives was infrequent but for some reason his 'name' sticks - he operated a taxi cab I think from the town hall. It could be misspelling or misheard but 'Thanny' was the name. Trivial I know. I'm sure there are still store owners operating today who were in business back then. I'll make it a point to visit this summer.

PS wasn't the Continental restaurant (another thread I know) in Castle Street Belfast? Pity jam jars don't have the cache they once did but then again think how impossibly large one's pockets would have to become.

It was called the News and Cartoon (watched 'Cry the Beloved Country' there as a schoolboy)

Tom Battisti
It was called the News and Cartoon (watched 'Cry the Beloved Country' there as a schoolboy)

Tom
The Mayfair cinema became the News and Cartoon, the Contential Cafe was opposite the GNR Station in Gt Victoria St not too far from the Mayfair cinema, next door to the Crown Liquer Store we used to go there when we had a few bob for tea, bread, butter , chips and beans for 1s/6d in the late 50s.
donald

Tom, Harry Eastwood and his wife are back living in Lisburn once more. Being a lot older, they're hardly how you'd remember them, but still out and about.

Hi Tom The Thanny in ? was Thanny Watters well known Taxi driver on the rank also Davey Fulton, Dermot Murray, Joe Mc Larnon, Dinney Magee,James Thompson, to name a few, the car your Dad had was every boys dream, regarding the Continental in Castle St was owned by Mrs Forte a well known landmark of the 50-60s, As for Harry Eastwood he owned a bar futher down the street just beside the entrance to the old gasworks, Mick Cunninghams pub (Hell's Kitchen) was almost facing your Dads place, Hope this fills a few gaps,another eating place just past the Trocadero was Lucacies (this spelling dosent seem right sorry) there was Albert & Silvano do you remember them?
Regards Ted

The mention of pubs brings me back. Was Eastwoods the one that could be reached from a wee entry going uphill to Bridge Street from the bottom of Barnsley's Row, (The 'holla')? Very near to a bookies. I'm nearly sure that's where Toby Strannicks helped me drink my winnings one day long ago.

Re: Belfast/Ritz

I remember Mrs Prendergast who worked in the ticket office.
She had three daughters Pat, Moya and Maureen,
They lived in a house beside the Infirmary,

Opposite them lived the Lenaghans, Jim, Sheila,I Think there were two other boys and Mona Moran who I think was their cousin

Gerry, Sheila Lenehan is alive and well. She moved house recently from Derriaghy to Dunmurry. I speak to her in town from time to time.

I remember a girl called Moya Prendergast although she would have been older than me. If I'm correct, she had long hair which was kept in plaits.

Another senior moment
The Lido was opposite the GNR in Belfast not the Continental.
Anyone remember the name of the Cafe facing Connelly s paper shop in Castle Street?

Hello Ted

I remember Albert and Silvano Lucchesi. Actually that restaurant was owned by Tom Battisti as well (my grandfather) - never understood why two cafes within yards of each other. Vincent Battisti (my dad's youngest brother), his sister Anna and her husband Hugo Slevin worked there also. Vincent died in January of this year. Albert died years ago but Silvano moved to Enniskillen where he opened (or bought?) the Golden Arrow restaurant. I visited Silvano maybe ten years ago and received quite a welcome. I hope he's still alive and well. I would like to revisit this summer also.

Tom

Mauri,I Googled' The Ritz cinema Belfast NI,'great website,a fount of information.Even The Central in Garfield St.and its Jam-pots gets a mention on one of the sites.I didn't know The Beatles appeared at the Ritz on stage.........Frank

Frank, Laurel and Hardy also appeared on stage at the Ritz Cinema. Apparently, they were "past their best" at this time but still.

1 2 3 4 5