Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A wee visit to the cemetery.

Hi all, not being morbid in the least. However, my older brother's anniversary is coming up soon and we decided to bring some flowers to place on his grave. He died in March 1968, aged 30. We brought 3 lots of miniature daffodils for 3 graves - my parents', where 2 of my brothers are also buried; the boss's parents and my grandparents.

It was a sunny, but cold day and after we'd left the flowers, we had a wee wander around the cemetery.

This is the bit I want to mention. A while back some of us were discussing John Cappa's drowning accident years ago. All the times I've visited the cemetery, I've never seen his name. Today, I just happened to look up and there it was, I wasn't even looking for it. John died in May 1968. Thought someone might be interested to know that.

Looked around other graves and I must say most of them are well looked after. However, just from walking over the grass, and it being so very soft, I know that I was tramping over graves, long forgotten. I asked the boss if I could "fall in" but he said they were too old. Anyway, the ground was extremely soft and I wouldn't like to chance it too often.

The only thing is there are more and more familiar names.

As my cousin always says on meeting me, "Were in the departure lounge but the plane has been delayed". Hope it stays delayed for another wee while.

Re: A wee visit to the cemetery.

Should read "We're in the departure lounge". Notice what a difference punctuation makes?

Re: Re: A wee visit to the cemetery.

Ann, hard to believe John died 1968, knew him well as we played together in Barley Hill, and the field at the bottom of old Hilden Ave., all were fields then.

Re: Re: Re: A wee visit to the cemetery.

Fraser, I remember the fields too.

Yes, 1968 seems a very long time ago in some ways but memories of my late brother, Malachy, are as fresh as ever. I can still see John Cappa to, with his mop of thick, curly hair. God rest them both.

Re: Re: Re: Re: A wee visit to the cemetery.

Oh dear; to, which should be too.

Does nobody else notice these things? I know Low Roader would if he wasn't sunning his ass off in Tenerife. No doubt he'll be back with a vengeance.