Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
Jim Keery (Isaac)

Hi I have received an email from a Brian Madden who is writing a book about Jim Keery he would like some information:
Jim, I am working on my second boxing book (my first one was Yesterday's Glovemen) and I was wondering if you would know if Jim Keery (Isaac) has any relatives still residing in Lisburn. In my own research, I have found out that he was born in Tullynacross and that his father was John, a labourer, and his mother was called Winnie, (nee McGivern). I need to know what school he went to - simple things like that. Information on the history of the club - who founded it, etc.

Re: Jim Keery (Isaac)

Jim I saw this post and asked my father(Bob Harrison)what he could tell me about Isaac Keery? My father is 89 born on Barnsley Row and lived there, Ridgeway St, and Spruce st.We came to the States in 1966. He said he knew Keery. Kerry lived on Hilden Ave. He may have gone to Hilden or maybe there was a school in Tullnyacross then..he is not sure. He said Isaac was one of the best Lightweight boxers ..maybe in the world at that time.The rest of this is about Isaac. He trained sometimes at Billy Robinsons. The ice cream shop at the bottom of Seymour St..across from the Methodist Church.He was managed by Jackie Gorman and Frank Kennedy. Gorman worked at Hilden Mill where my Dad served his time as an apprentice plumber.He doesn't remember a "club" but there was a "club" on Lemington Way that Isaac was associated with.Sandy Sadler was lightweight champion of the world at that time. He came to the UK looking for a fight and no one would take him on. My dad says Isaac took him on, saying he would go at least two rounds. Dad doesn't remember how the fight went.Dad remembers that Isaac fought a Jerry Smith several times..some at the Kings Hall, in Balmoral. He said the fights were always sold out.Hope this will be of some help? I haven't seen my Dad this informative in quite some time. A ps, my dad played football at Hilden Rec. also cricket. I have several photos of teams of that time and would like to know how to post them. Please let me know. Carolina.

Re: Re: Jim Keery (Isaac)

Hi, I was interested in the ice cream shop as I dont remember it..I do know there always was a shop there but can only remember when Vaughens owned it. I remember the butchers and Whitcroft chemist..but my husband says I went around with a bucket on my head till I was 16...We lived on the Belsize Road then. I left home in 1964.
Vera Hall

Re: Re: Re: Jim Keery (Isaac)

Hi Vera, your name is familiar to me. Robinsons was not an "ice cream shop" he sold some great ice cream. It was more of a "convenience store" as we would say today.They sold cones and "ninteny nines" anyone remember them?? That was a cone or "slider" with a cadburys flake in it. I lived on Llewellyn Ave. and had a good friend on the Belsize Rd, Kenneth Semple. Mr Samuel's son. Also the Chidicks lived there. Robinsons was taken over.. or bought by Ivan Vaughan about 1962. His son Kenneth was also a friend of mine. dO not know what happened to the "shop" after that? Whitcrofts was also there and the butchers shop. Maybe this will help...there was also a row of houses before you got to Wallace Ave? About five or four of them. Carolina.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Jim Keery (Isaac)

Carolina,
Did you know the Wisemans from the Belfast Road? or the Doorys who lived in the Wallace Park?
My name was Mcclatchey back then.. Gwen Doory was a good friend of mine. I still visit her in California.
I knew all the people you mentioned Also knew the Chitticks they lived almost facing us. I believe they are all younger than me. They still sell ninety nines.. Montgomerys was a good ice cream shop. Also the one in Smithfield. Vera

Another daft sounding question from yours truly:
Did Billy Robinson have a sight problem?
Just a thought from a very long ago story I was told as a child.

I lived in the first house in Hilden Ave., Issac lived in the last house with his bros, and Mom& Dad, one bro. was called Sammy, their house was next to Leathems, Vera, do you recall Brian Stevenson, Kenneth Cathcart? the wisemans used to live in Riddles old house in Wallace Ave., I lived with my Aunt Sarah Fraser, last house every now and then , corner Wallace Ave. and Seymour St. 4 houses down from Billy Robinsons shop, Billy had 2 sons. Robinsons had a big yard at the back of the shop plenty of room for issac to work out, will try to find out more info on Him.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Jim Keery (Isaac)

Hi Carolina, Did you know Mildred Lord or Tommy Allen who lived in LLewllyn Ave,? when I was going backwards and forwards to Lisburn in the early 60s a bunch of us used to sometimes finish up in Tommy's house for a party. Mauri

Fraser
Isaac Keery, as was mentioned once by Beano, fought the great Sandy Saddler, and quite a few other top boxers, as can be verified on Boxing Records online. So it is interesting to hear of his early days in the old town.
As you knew Billy Robinson, can you answer my question? Did he have any problems with his eyes?
Thanks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jim Keery (Isaac)

Vera, remember a while back I said your name was familiar to me. It still is. Don't know why.

However, you mention the Wiseman family who lived on the Belfast Road. Well, their mother was friendly with my next door neighbour, the late Lena Corkin. She used to visit every Monday morning. My children were only toddlers at the time. Mrs Wiseman is still alive and living in the family home. She's over 90. I was speaking to her daughter-in-law last week.

I worked with Jimmy Wiseman (the father) in the Research Dept, Barbour Threads. Jimmy was a dyer.

Maybe I heard the name "McClatchey" through Mrs Corkin.

Did you know the Corkin family at all?. The two girls and their late brother attended Wallace High. Both parents are now dead

Hi all, I am of no help at all regarding Billy Robinson's eyes. However, I was in his shop plenty of times and never noticed anything strange about his eyes. But, I was very young then.

I do remember the lovely ice-cream with red syrup topping.

There is a second-hand shop there now. It's quite good. I bought a nice tapestry pouffee in it for a fiver.

Thank you, Ann. That answers my question. When I was young, perhaps twelve, my mother referred to 'Blind Billy Robinson', and my dad corrected her, saying that he had one eye. The Billy Robinson to whom they referred would have been born around 1914/16.

Re: Re: Re: Jim Keery (Isaac)

Fraser,I know both Brian Stevenson and Kenneth Cathcart. Brian lived in # 19, Kenneth at # 42. Kenneth's Mother was my piono teacher for ten years. He had a sister named Roberta I lived at # 38, next was Johnny Waring..# 40. Across the street was John Mc Niel, #21. I also "ran with" Jim and Gordon Wiseman. Then there was Kenneth Vaughan, he was good friends with the wisemans. They all went to Methody. Norman Stephens and Maurice, his brother, lived in # 15.I am amazed at what "Isaac" has stirred up.

Vera, the McClatchey did it. Yes I knew you. Knew the Wisemans,Jim and Gordon. I knew who the Doory's were, the father used to chase us out of the park after dark.Thanks for correcting my spelling of Chitticks..wasn't sure.Didn't the Father have a clothing store in town? Finally, Montgomery's was the best. I have been searching the world over for their butterscotch..and have NEVER found it.

Hello all,
Re: Billy Robinson,
I can assure you that Billy was not blind, in fact he had eyes like a hawk.
The shop was primarily an ice - cream shop.
I was not allowed to buy his ice cream on pain of death from certain other ice cream makers.
He also sold home made ice lollies that left your mouth area looking like you wore lipstick.

Re Isaac Keery.
I think Beano may well be the best informant here.
I can tell you that Isaac trained for a long time at the club situated in a big black shed behind Billy Bell's house in Bap Row (KK and Limerick Lil will no doubt be able to fill in more details).
There is a photograph of the East Down club on the forum.
I remember Isaac and Billy Thomson as a very young boy (me that is, not Isaac and Billy) but have no knowledge that would be of any use to someone compiling a book.
BTW as this thread has already gone off track may I divert it even further by recounting a Christmas poem.

'Twas Christmas Day in the workhouse,
The snow was falling fast.
We don't want your Christmas pudding

Take it to Belfast.
With apologies to wordsworth.

Hello all,

Just getting time to look in after a hectic time visiting & being visited by sons & grandchildren (well no longer children). Between cooking & shopping & wining & dining & late nights, I am tired out & looking forward to a day's rest on Christmas Eve & dinner in Sheena's on Christmas Day.

Joe caught a virus after coming from Lisburn (everyone there had it ) & spent the last few days in bed, coughing & sweating & drinking hot rum & blackcurrant. He is on the mend now after antibiotics & swears that's the last time he is travelling from the Cottage.

We had a great welcome everywhere & enjoyed the break so much, that we are off dinners for the next few days in preparation for Christmas. Too much rich food & good wine & spirits, we have had our Christmas already. Can't stick the pace now.

Glad to be back & see Jim Keery has come into focus. One of the famous Low Roaders. Funny, when in Lisburn reminiscing about old pals, B.B. & I were discussing Sammy Keery, who was a character & a little older than us, but always at the corner of Leamington acting the clown. Isaac was his brother & we heard of his boxing prowress often, but I did'nt know much about him.

We lived 2 doors up from Billy Bell in East Down View & knew of the boxing club at the bottom of the street, was it Rickard's old big black shed. I knew Annie Keery & her sister (Sarah?) by sight, their brother Issac was reported to have gone to America, late 40's . He was supposed to throw down his trowel on the scaffold one early Spring day on the job there & say "The bluebells are blooming down the 41's now."

The last we heard of Sammy was him & George Alister on the Channel boat with a crate of beer each, throwing the empty bottles over the side. We never heard of Sammy again. He was a real character. I think Sammy must have been the youngest.

I know Annie is dead this years, she married Ernie Graham , who used to hod to Joe. I think he moved from the Low Rd. to Jubilee Avenue , we met him years ago in Lisburn.
Pat

Low Roader,

Glad to hear from you again BUT who is "Limerick Lil"??? Not me, I hope ,as I live in Clare, far removed from Limerick in every way. The last time the boundary was moted to be moved was the cause of another uprising here a couple of years ago.
Limerick is a city with all that entails wheras Clare is a county, the Banner County, to boot, never to be confused with Limerick. Like saying one came from Leamington instead of East Down View.!!"!"!

Pat

I couldn't think of anything to rhyme with Clare and it is such an isignificant county I really did not try very hard.
Probably should have stuck to The Bap Row Rascal - it is more apt methinks.
I will have to ask Kk her opinion.

Clare is the nicest county in Ireland & has no need to advertise itself, if you ever drove slowly down Corkscrew Hill or visited the Burren or Alwee Caves or the magnificient Cliffs of Moher, to name but a few, you would be a Clare visitor every year

Call me what you like, as we used to chant in E.D.View.... "Sticks & stones may break my bones
but names will never hurt me."OR
the old football slogan Arthur Sloan told me....

"The mice, the rats, the Longstone brats,
But the Low Road boys forever."

Pat ( Clare Colleen.)

p.s. As for asking K.K. "Birds of a feather.."

You may be surprised to know that I have indeed had the doubtful pleasure of visiting Clare.

It was some time ago and in addition to visiting the Caves (what a let down) I also walked the walk up to the edge of the Cliffs of Moher.
I have to honest and say that standing at the top of McConnell's Hill looking down on to the beautiful Lagan Canal and river was infinitely more exciting and certainly more picturesque.

As far as the Burren is concerned, I can only hope that they have used some of the rock, which was going to waste to make some roads which, I am afraid to say, were almost non-existent.

Now Lisdoonvarna is mind blowing.

Sorry Carolina, I got my Tommy's mixed up, it was Tommy Johnson whose house I was thinking of, Tommy Allen was another friend from that end of town as well who used to go to William Foote School. Mauri

And I may as well tell you the story behind my asking about one Billy Robinson. The fact is; and again, none of my siblings will ever remember hearing this; my mother teased my father about 'Blind Billy Robinson' having a fight with him, over her, when she and my dad were nineteen or so. She laughed and said that Billy 'bate' my da all the way round the block from Railway Street, Batchelors Walk, back to Bow Street. My indignant dad said that Billy was not blind, was a bloody good fighter, and that he had forced my dad to back pedal, but they had agreed to settle for a 'no verdict'. Sorry that I only have these fighting, drinking memories, but I don't make them up.

Dear Low Roader,

Beauty is indeed in the mind of the beholder. The roads now in most of Ireland are A1, thanks to the E.U. Our lane leaves a lot to be desired, as do other side roads & lanes but that again is their attraction. (Remember the lonies)?
Maybe your visit was a long time ago, at any rate I can find no fault with the tourist trails in Clare. My favourite spot though is Gougane Barra in Kerry, out of this world for peace & tranquillity.
Hope you go to Google for a look around our scenery.

By the way Mc Colin's Hill is almost non-existent now, the fields around it are incorporated into one big, big green space making the "hill" disappear. The overfalls are slower, hardly any noise or rushing over large boulders etc, not the same effect. The years have made changes, some good, some disappointing.

Leamington is all big windows now & upgraded houses, B.B. got the old front door of my Dad's childhood home, the last one in the row, he has it in his back garden - the rub is now, what to do with it...firewood.? All the old landmarks are being eroded.
Pat. (Cute Clare H..r) as the saying goes in Limerick.

jim was trained in his later boxing days by stanley orr of lisburn amateur boxing club,his fights with gerry smyth who sadly was buried yesterday,and mickey oneill were classics and aways packed the kings and ulster halls,he beat billy thompson british light champion and peter waterman british welterweight champion that was how he got the match with sandy saddler as waterman was lined up to meet saddler,
saddlers manager wanted jim to go beck to usa with them after that fight, jim finished up fighting at middleweight,he then went to canada and died there

here is issac,s record

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=33001&cat=boxer

boxer: Jim Keery
Global ID 33001
sex male
birth date 1921-02-03
division lightweight
nationality United Kingdom
residence Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
birth place Lisburn, N.Ireland
won 81 (KO 37) + lost 35 (KO 10) + drawn 12 = 129
rounds boxed 817 : KO% 28.68
biography

bouts
Lb St Kg date print

page: 1 | 2 »
date Lb opponent Lb W-L-D last 6 location
1953-03-21 141 Tommy Robinson 147 18-9-1
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L TKO 7 8x3
1952-12-10 143 Jimmy Brogden 145½ 13-7-1
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L TKO 5 8x3
1952-11-01 Fred Archer 19-7-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 1 8x3
1952-10-04 Jim Stimpson 4-6-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L TKO 4 8x3
1952-05-24 Harry Warner 28-23-1
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom D PTS 8 8x3
1952-05-10 Phil Mellish 22-23-5
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W PTS 8 8x3
1950-10-07 138 Harry Hughes 136 44-17-3
Kings Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L PTS 10 10x3
1950-06-16 Mickey O'Neill 19-9-0
Kings Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L TKO 12 12x3
~ BBBofC Northern Ireland Area lightweight title ~

1950-05-08 John Parry 0-1-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W KO 4 10x3
1950-02-22 138 Mickey O'Neill 138 19-7-0
Kings Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W PTS 10 10x3
1949-09-30 135¼ Ivor Kid Germain 134½ 10-2-0
Kings Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L KO 1 10x3
Left hook to the solar plexus

1949-09-06 Tommy McGovern 20-8-2
Harringay Arena, Harringay, London, United Kingdom L PTS 8 8x3
1949-06-02 134 Sandy Saddler 129 93-7-2
White City Stadium, White City, London, United Kingdom L KO 4 10x3
Keery was down once in the 3rd, and twice in the 4th.

1949-05-04 Des Garrod 15-2-1
1949-04-21 Peter Fallon 50-12-2
The Stadium, Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom W KO 6 8x3
1949-03-01 Billy Thompson 35-5-2
Kings Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W DQ 4 8x3
1949-01-25 Gerry Smythe 10-11-1
Kings Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 3 8x3
1948-12-25 Mick McAloran 1-3-1
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W PTS 10 10x3
Eliminator BBBofC Northern Ireland Area Lightweight Title

1948-11-20 Billy Barton 40-49-4
1948-10-23 Tommy Daley 12-9-1
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W PTS 8 8x3
1948-09-28 Gerry Smythe 8-8-1
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 4 8x3
1948-09-11 Gerry Smythe 7-8-1
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L KO 3 8x3
1948-08-21 Paddy Dowdall 25-14-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 7 8x3
1948-08-14 Alf Phillips 1-7-1
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 1 10x3
1948-05-29 Jackie McGouran 16-6-1
1948-04-24 130½ Jimmy Dunn 129½ 17-10-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 2 8x3
1948-03-20 Bernard Pugh 25-17-0
1948-02-21 Jimmy Smyth 0-0-0
1948-01-31 Dempsey Brady 5-4-1
1947-01-25 Jackie King 0-0-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L PTS 8 8x3
1946-12-21 Paddy Trainor 0-0-1
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 3 8x3
1946-11-30 Dempsey Brady 4-1-1
1945-08-14 Mick Gibbons 69-32-10
Queensberry Club, Soho, London, United Kingdom NC NC 8 8x3
1942-05-25 Jimmy Smith 0-0-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L PTS 8 8x3
1942-05-16 Jim Young Josephs 3-1-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W PTS 10 10x3
1942-05-02 Mick Magee 2-3-2
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L PTS 10 10x3
1941-12-26 Tommy Steele 11-9-1
1941-12-06 Tommy Steele 10-9-1
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L DQ 6 10x3
1941-11-26 Fred Nipper Morris 9-22-3
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L PTS 10 10x3
Date uncertain

1941-11-12 Vic Andrews 0-5-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 6 10x3
1941-11-01 Dennis Cahill 6-4-2
1941-10-18 Tommy Steele 9-8-1
1941-09-27 Tommy Steele 8-8-1
Date uncertain

1941-09-20 Dennis Cahill 6-4-1
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom D PTS 10 10x3
1941-01-19 Vic Andrews 0-2-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 2 10x3
1940-12-25 Vic Andrews 0-1-0
1940-12-14 Taffy Davies 1-2-0
Date uncertain

1940-12-07 Vic Andrews 0-0-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 5 10x3
1940-11-18 Al Lyttle 13-3-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L PTS 15 15x3
Northern Ireland Lightweight Title

1940-08-01 Taffy Davies 1-1-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W KO 9 10x3
Date uncertain

1940-07-01 Taffy Davies 0-1-0
Date uncertain

1940-04-22 Jim Spider Kelly 13-6-2
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 4 12x3
Billed: Northern Ireland Featherweight Title- Keery overweight

1940-04-06 Tom Smith 68-6-3
Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom L PTS 10 10x3
1940-03-04 Billy Doherty 7-5-0
Grosvenor Park, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom D PTS 10 10x3
1940-02-07 Harry Parkes 2-3-1
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 8 10x3
1939-12-26 Frank Kenny 32-13-7
1939-11-02 Billy Doherty 6-4-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 1 6x3
1939-08-03 Charlie Fox 130 10-6-0
The Stadium, Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom L PTS 8 8x3
~ referee: Dave Richards ~

1939-07-01 Jake Carr 7-5-1
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W PTS 6 6x3
Date uncertain

1939-06-10 Bob Bates 11-17-1
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W PTS 6 6x3
1939-05-01 Billy Hamilton 4-5-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom D PTS 6 6x3
1939-04-19 Pat Kelly 5-2-2
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W KO 2 10x3
1939-04-05 Bert Nichol 3-5-2
1939-03-28 Chuck Flanagan 4-4-4
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 4 10x3
1939-03-21 Harry Godfrey 0-0-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W KO 1 10x3
1939-03-06 Dick Levers 2-2-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 4 10x3
1939-02-18 Mickey Tracey 1-3-0
1939-02-11 Tommy Ballard 0-0-0
1939-02-01 Jack Wally 0-0-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 8 10x3
1938-12-26 Al Pedlar 8-1-2
1938-12-14 Joe Gale 1-0-0
1938-12-01 Billy Armstrong 8-4-1
The Stadium, Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom D PTS 8 8x3
1938-11-17 Herbie Clarke 22-10-2
The Stadium, Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom L PTS 10 10x3
1938-11-12 Vic Warden 0-0-0
1938-11-01 Bob Bates 8-11-1

page 2 of his record

boxer: Jim Keery
Global ID 33001
sex male
birth date 1921-02-03
division lightweight
nationality United Kingdom
residence Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
birth place Lisburn, N.Ireland
won 81 (KO 37) + lost 35 (KO 10) + drawn 12 = 129
rounds boxed 817 : KO% 28.68
biography

bouts
Lb St Kg date print

date Lb opponent Lb W-L-D last 6 location
1953-03-21 141 Tommy Robinson 147 18-9-1
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L TKO 7 8x3
1952-12-10 143 Jimmy Brogden 145½ 13-7-1
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L TKO 5 8x3
1952-11-01 Fred Archer 19-7-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 1 8x3
1952-10-04 Jim Stimpson 4-6-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L TKO 4 8x3
1952-05-24 Harry Warner 28-23-1
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom D PTS 8 8x3
1952-05-10 Phil Mellish 22-23-5
1950-10-07 138 Harry Hughes 136 44-17-3
Kings Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L PTS 10 10x3
1950-06-16 Mickey O'Neill 19-9-0
Kings Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L TKO 12 12x3
~ BBBofC Northern Ireland Area lightweight title ~

1950-05-08 John Parry 0-1-0
1950-02-22 138 Mickey O'Neill 138 19-7-0
Kings Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W PTS 10 10x3
1949-09-30 135¼ Ivor Kid Germain 134½ 10-2-0
Kings Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L KO 1 10x3
Left hook to the solar plexus

1949-09-06 Tommy McGovern 20-8-2
Harringay Arena, Harringay, London, United Kingdom L PTS 8 8x3
1949-06-02 134 Sandy Saddler 129 93-7-2
White City Stadium, White City, London, United Kingdom L KO 4 10x3
Keery was down once in the 3rd, and twice in the 4th.

1949-05-04 Des Garrod 15-2-1
1949-04-21 Peter Fallon 50-12-2
The Stadium, Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom W KO 6 8x3
1949-03-01 Billy Thompson 35-5-2
Kings Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W DQ 4 8x3
1949-01-25 Gerry Smythe 10-11-1
Kings Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 3 8x3
1948-12-25 Mick McAloran 1-3-1
Eliminator BBBofC Northern Ireland Area Lightweight Title

1948-11-20 Billy Barton 40-49-4
1948-10-23 Tommy Daley 12-9-1
1948-09-28 Gerry Smythe 8-8-1
1948-09-11 Gerry Smythe 7-8-1
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L KO 3 8x3
1948-08-21 Paddy Dowdall 25-14-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 7 8x3
1948-08-14 Alf Phillips 1-7-1
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 1 10x3
1948-05-29 Jackie McGouran 16-6-1
1948-04-24 130½ Jimmy Dunn 129½ 17-10-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 2 8x3
1948-03-20 Bernard Pugh 25-17-0
1948-02-21 Jimmy Smyth 0-0-0
1948-01-31 Dempsey Brady 5-4-1
1947-01-25 Jackie King 0-0-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L PTS 8 8x3
1946-12-21 Paddy Trainor 0-0-1
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 3 8x3
1946-11-30 Dempsey Brady 4-1-1
1945-08-14 Mick Gibbons 69-32-10
Queensberry Club, Soho, London, United Kingdom NC NC 8 8x3
1942-05-25 Jimmy Smith 0-0-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L PTS 8 8x3
1942-05-16 Jim Young Josephs 3-1-0
1942-05-02 Mick Magee 2-3-2
1941-12-26 Tommy Steele 11-9-1
1941-12-06 Tommy Steele 10-9-1
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L DQ 6 10x3
1941-11-26 Fred Nipper Morris 9-22-3
Date uncertain

1941-11-12 Vic Andrews 0-5-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 6 10x3
1941-11-01 Dennis Cahill 6-4-2
1941-10-18 Tommy Steele 9-8-1
1941-09-27 Tommy Steele 8-8-1
Date uncertain

1941-09-20 Dennis Cahill 6-4-1
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom D PTS 10 10x3
1941-01-19 Vic Andrews 0-2-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 2 10x3
1940-12-25 Vic Andrews 0-1-0
1940-12-14 Taffy Davies 1-2-0
Date uncertain

1940-12-07 Vic Andrews 0-0-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 5 10x3
1940-11-18 Al Lyttle 13-3-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L PTS 15 15x3
Northern Ireland Lightweight Title

1940-08-01 Taffy Davies 1-1-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W KO 9 10x3
Date uncertain

1940-07-01 Taffy Davies 0-1-0
Date uncertain

1940-04-22 Jim Spider Kelly 13-6-2
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 4 12x3
Billed: Northern Ireland Featherweight Title- Keery overweight

1940-04-06 Tom Smith 68-6-3
Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom L PTS 10 10x3
1940-03-04 Billy Doherty 7-5-0
Grosvenor Park, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom D PTS 10 10x3
1940-02-07 Harry Parkes 2-3-1
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 8 10x3
1939-12-26 Frank Kenny 32-13-7
1939-11-02 Billy Doherty 6-4-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 1 6x3
1939-08-03 Charlie Fox 130 10-6-0
The Stadium, Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom L PTS 8 8x3
~ referee: Dave Richards ~

1939-07-01 Jake Carr 7-5-1
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W PTS 6 6x3
Date uncertain

1939-06-10 Bob Bates 11-17-1
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W PTS 6 6x3
1939-05-01 Billy Hamilton 4-5-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom D PTS 6 6x3
1939-04-19 Pat Kelly 5-2-2
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W KO 2 10x3
1939-04-05 Bert Nichol 3-5-2
1939-03-28 Chuck Flanagan 4-4-4
1939-03-21 Harry Godfrey 0-0-0
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W KO 1 10x3
1939-03-06 Dick Levers 2-2-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 4 10x3
1939-02-18 Mickey Tracey 1-3-0
1939-02-11 Tommy Ballard 0-0-0
1939-02-01 Jack Wally 0-0-0
1938-12-26 Al Pedlar 8-1-2
1938-12-14 Joe Gale 1-0-0
1938-12-01 Billy Armstrong 8-4-1
The Stadium, Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom D PTS 8 8x3
1938-11-17 Herbie Clarke 22-10-2
The Stadium, Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom L PTS 10 10x3
1938-11-12 Vic Warden 0-0-0
1938-11-01 Bob Bates 8-11-1

Brendan

Thank you for this, I found it very interesting. My dad Billy Thompson was fly weight. He was very well know in boxing circles, but the Billy Thompson mentioned in the records isn't him. This man, when I looked him up, was a Yorkshire man, who strangely enough has just died on 4th January 2009.

Thanks again

Liz

Brendan
That boxing records site has improved enormously over the past few years. I often look up names. Rinty Monaghan, of course, and Bunty Doran, as well as Spider Kelly, John McManus, and all the old names from Ireland.

i looking up a site for keerys photos heres 1 anyway

I have the records of most of the Belfast Boxers and a good collection of photographs which I will be only too glad to share. Here are six of the best from L-R Spider Jim Kelly, Jim Keery, Tommy McMenamy, Bunty Doran, Gerry Smith and Freddy Webb. (Freddy was the older brother of Willie Rea from the Market area)did,nt come up will try and sort it out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

irish boxers six copy.jpg (40.92 KB, 454x304 - viewed 294 times.)

irish boxers six copy.jpg (40.92 KB, 454x304 - viewed 290 times.)

will send you site its BELFAST FORUM GO TO BELFAST HISTORY THEN BELFAST BOXERS IN THE PHOTOGRAPH KEERY IS SECOND FROM RIGHT AND NOT LEFT AS IT SAYS BELOW PIC

1 2 3 4