Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Visiting Tescos (again)

Hi all, nothing exciting this weather at all. Very mild today although wet. Had to visit Tescos this morning to buy ingredients for my home made stuffing. I make some for the daughter as well, although she asked me not to add just as much garlic this year. (I tend to overdo the garlic right enough).

Couldn't resist buying a frozen Norfolk turkey. Mind you, I had intended to buy fresh but Delia had been raving about them earlier in the week, said they were black feathered birds as opposed to white, and that they tasted a lot better, so I thought I'd try one this year. Mind you, she was referring to fresh ones. Showed them on TV and all.

Bought some wine for the two GPs and got the receptionists two bottles of Bucks Fizz. They are all kept very busy so always give them a wee "thank you". They appreciate it too, would snap the hand off ya. (the GPs, not the receptionists). Always say, "There's no need", but I know they are pleased. I mean, if I was lying dying, I hope they would remember the bottles of wine I have presented to them over the years and be kind to me in my last moments. (Ahhhhhhhhhhhh). Aye, right mate.

Spotted two lovely lemon sole in the "bargain aisle", so snapped them up. Came home and grilled them for lunch - they were absolutely gorgeous with wholemeal bread and butter. The boss thought so too.

Purchased good Parmesan, not the shavings. My Italian relatives advised me of the difference; also two lots of smoked salmon which I froze. I know it's early yet but I also bought some cheeses which don't expire until the middle of January. I love Stilton (nothing is more fattening), also Stilton with cranberries, Canadian cheddar (mouthwatering), goats cheese and Wensleydale. The latter is particularly nice with fruit cake or fruit loaf. I'll probably get Brie later on, but I find it very bland. As my mother used to say, and I agree with her, "I love a cheese that would cut the throat out of ya". Strong, you know. You Canadians, take note, I absolutely love Canadian Cheddar. Gorgeous. If I had to have only one cheese I think I would choose Canadian Cheddar. Maybe some of you Canadians would advise me why it is so beautiful, strong, zesty, tangy.

Bought eldest a thick rib eye steak which he proclaimed "gorgeous" just a while ago. That's a rare compliment. Served it with mash and butter beans. Youngest is working late tonight and doesn't require a dinner.

Earlier I lifted a frozen dish from the outside freezer. Presumed it was chicken pasta, defrosted it and placed same in the oven to cook. Didn't honestly think the boss would be hungry just yet after his late lunch. (1.45 pm). Anyway, boss enters the kitchen, oldest is wiring into his dinner. The boss looks at me as I clear up the mess I'd left from making the stuffing. I says to him, "You're not hungry yet, are you?" thinking I would get a minute or two to sit down. "Actually", he replies, "I am". Honest to God, he would ate you alive.

When I lifted the "chicken pasta" from the oven, it turned out to be shepherd's pie. Ok for the boss but I can't eat that. Anyway, he took an enormous plate of it with the remainder of the butter beans. Where he puts the food I'll never know. AND there's not a pick on him.

All the men fed and gone from the kitchen - what's new?

Here I am, all alone, Pat in a luxury hotel being pandered to. There's no justice in the world, I say there's no justice.