Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Jim Collins Lookalike

Hi all, as you know this is Headless Chicken Day in our house. My son decided to shower the two dogs this morning, followed by a grooming session. The boss and I lay on until 9 am to let him get on with it. Well, the boss grooms Tess, as she would have a heart attack if anyone else tackled her.

Anyway, afterwards, I had a shower too (once a year's enough) washed my hair, dried and styled it, and then came in and made breakfast. I don't have a sweet tooth as you know, but I took a notion to buy some American style pancakes in Tescos, as opposed to the usual ones. I tried one toasted yesterday and it was gorgeous, so I had one this morning, just with butter. I intend to buy more American style pancakes plus maple syrup. Maple syrup isn't fattening surprisingly enough. Anyway, the rest had a full fry with my own home-baked wheaten bread included. They all said it was lovely and it was. (self praise and all that).

Got ready for Mass and wore my Bunratty suit again. It's very smart right enough and has been admired.

It was the lovely wee young priest this morning, but the one who is boring (to me) and lengthy in his sermons. He's just like a wee boy, you could cuddle him, but he's not very interesting, but then I can't half hear anyway.

Once more, my thoughts wandered and I had a subtle look about. I saw a man to the right of us, a few seats further down. He looked exactly like Jim Collins. I scrutinised him; yes, the hair, the cheeks, the colour - I wondered if it really was Jim, although I did wonder what he was doing at 12 pm Mass in Lisburn. However, Communion time came and "Jim" went up for the sacrament. I knew then it wasn't Jim although it was VERY LIKE HIM. His profile was just a tiny bit different when I saw him full on. I whispered to the boss, "Isn't that man very like Jim Collins?".

That had kept me occupied for a while but now the priest was still talking, reading out death notices, sick notices, parish notices. Now that Jim had been sorted out, my thoughts wandered again. God, I know, I felt hungry. I only had a pancake and butter for breakfast but now my tummy was looking for food. I kept thinking of what I had in the fridge when we got home. I fancied duck pate, which I envisaged with hot toast, accompanied by my own plum and apple chutney; also on the plate Shropshire blue cheese and olives. I couldn't think of anything but that and my mouth was actually watering in chapel.

Anyway, eventually we arrived home - I went straight into the fridge, brought out the pate and, to my shame, ate it nearly all with toasted wheaten bread, the cheese, plum chutney.

Have the dinner on now, but watched two good films this afternoon. Hondo was one, with John Wayne. He said it was his favourite film. The other was Easter Parade and just in case you think I'm a lazy so and so, I didn't watch ALL of Easter Parade but came in and put the dinner on.

Last night we watched a brilliant film called The Illusionist. If you see it advertised, watch it.

Well, going to lift the dinner out, so better go.