Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beautiful Sunday

Hi all, having had a restless night with IBS, and being up 2 or 3 times, and in pain, I was quite tired this morning. Decided I wouldn't go to church - God wouldn't mind. Hubby made the breakfasts and I had a cuppa and a round of white toast (as opposed to my usual high fibre brown). Of course, they all had "fries" except that everything, except the eggs, are grilled. The "home made" wheaten bread went down a treat, praise indeed from all concerned.

Had a shower, washed my hair, dressed myself in a great old cream skirt I bought for next to nothing years ago. I love it, comfortable, sort of cotton/jersey material. Took some more paracetamol. Looked outside and the sun was shining in a clear blue sky.

Took myself out into the garden and sat in the sun, which was warm. Hubby had very considerately gone down to the shops and bought a Sunday paper for me to peruse while he was at Mass. The garden was lovely, the rockery coming into bloom with blue and purple flowers. The hydrangea is also coming into bloom - palest pink, also in the rockery. Sat on the deck, raised my face to the sun, heaven, although I was still suffering (I'm used to it). The wee dogs ran about the grass, play fighting with each other and barking at our neighbour's well-behaved dog Jester, who does nothing but stay in his own garden.

Eventually, hubby arrived home and I made another cuppa and two hot-dogs, no, not for me, but for No 2 son and hubby, son's with onions.

We sat out most of the afternoon on the deck, which badly needs re-staining, soaking up the rays. Made numerous cups of tea, took more anti-spasmodic tablets. Not paracetamol. No 2 son said he would cut the back lawn as hubby's knee is sore again. I watered the tomato plants (not too liberally I hope) and lifted the tubs of flowers which are in the greenhouse, out for an airing. Our cat took herself into the greenhouse and stretched down on the soil. Had to remember to take her out later, which I did.

Hubby and son had ice cream, drinks of Coke and I went on reading my book.

Then hubby decided to go fishing, to Corbett Lake near Banbridge. He's still there. I have made dinner, which will be here when he returns. He does have a great appetite, likes nothing better than a "good feed".

Read more of my book, which is very interesting, and then decided to look into the Forum. So there, that's me up to date. Almost 7.30 pm, me still waiting to have our dinner, sons had theirs earlier, but I'm really not hungry.

Good programme on at 8 pm about Jane Austen so will watch that definitely. It's called "Jane Austen regrets", but it is fictional. However, I'm sure it will be based on fact.

That's my day, a beautiful, relaxing day, sunshine with heat. Maybe the summer is coming at last. Having said that, the weather forecast is not good, rain all week and cold. As I say, make the most of the good weather, we don't get it for long.

Re: Beautiful Sunday

Lovely morning here, but rain came in the afternoon. ,The Choir this morning sang "All in an April Evening! very nostalgic, thinking of other April evenings & friends who are no longer with us, then said a prayer for them & for the new friends on the Forum. Went to buy Piz Bun for Spain, it was reduced to half price, then home for a cuppa & a slice of apple tart. Had a read of the paper, it would take all afternoon to read a paper, all bad news too, no wonder we never hardly buy one, no time. Then tidied up, made Joe's usual lunch & then prepared dinner, which we have just finished, Joe is asleep in the rocking chair, must be the red wine & food. (what's new). Waiting now for family visitors who will arrive soon, so it's Goodnight from me until tomorrow. Rain is now over, probably moved to Lisburn by now. Roll on Tuesday & some sun.
Pat

Pat, the rain hasn't reached us yet, but I'm sure it's on the way.

Hubby has just arrived home, no fish caught. Anyway, we have enough in the freezer to do us for a while.

Anyway, better go on and watch Jane Austen. 'night all.

Hi Ann and Pat,

I wish I could describe everything the way you two can,I guess you either have it or.......not.

We had a nice break in B.C. with Doreen's Sister and Brother-in-Law, lots of TLC.The weather was very seasonal 12c,lots of sweatshirt weather. The Rocky Mountains as seen from the Island are unbelievable,all with snow caps.......terrific. We are both glad to have made the break, and it has helped us a lot.

Pat,
I did know Dermot O'Brien, so sorry to hear of his passing,he was a wonderful character. Sorry also, to hear of the death of Leo O'Neill,another great guy Last time I saw Leo was in a pub in Smithfield,he wanted to stand me a pint.I hadn't seen him for over thirty years at that point,my Brother Bobby took me in to see him. The first thing he said to me was......... Beano what the heck are they feeding you on in Canada,you're twice the size from I first met you, I think I was 16 then,unfortunately he was right.
Pat,I must have met your husband Joe along life's path,if he played football in Lisburn, I played for the Lisburn Strollers,Joe probably doesn't remember them, that's how "good" we were.

Ray,
Thank you for pointing the way to "Virtual Earth" it is fantastic, for me ,it takes a bit of work,it is well worth it.

Paul McKeown.... is he a brother of Junior, Terry, Margaret,Anne and Sheila (Twins)who used to live at the top of Mercer St. around 1950, I know they moved to the Low Rd.area.

Welcome to all the new people on the Forum. Great to get a new perspective on "The Oul Town"(City).

Maggi,
Congratulations on your musical family, I am sure your Dad would have been very proud as well.

Beano

Hello again Beano, you sound in great form. The holiday has done you and Doreen good. Glad you enjoyed it.

In answer to your mention regarding my cousins, Margaret, Junior, Terry, the late Ann, Sheila and Brian McKeown, they moved from the Co Down to Tonagh. Paul is from a different family, also cousins, who lived in Church Street.

Ann, one of thw twins, died a long time ago now. I see Margaret and her husband every Sunday. I occasionally still see Junior, Terry and Brian, also Sheila.

I'm on here in the middle of the night because of my old, hated friend IBS. Having a cuppa, two paracetamol and have started an antibiotic. Might as well sit here as lie in bed tossing and turning in pain.

Hope I make it to the meeting tomorrow.

Beano,

Great to have you back and you seemed to have had a lovely time with Doreen, her sister and husband.
Hope you keep feeling well.

I asked my hubby if he played against the Strollers and he replied of course he had many a time.

Here are some of the players who played with hubby over the years.

L.& O. O'Neill, G. Skelton, J. Spiers,
S. Potts, R. Burns,(Joe's brother)G. Stewart,
E. Gorman,N. McConnell, J. Caroll, H. McGrogan,
M. Fitzsimmons, J. McDermott, E. Kidd, J. McMullan

Beano do you remember any of the above and who they played for?

Hubby says your team was run by the twin Grahams' is that correct?

Katie

Katie

Beano,
Glad to know you can access Virtual Earth, enjoy it. Did you notice that Ernie McCarter's house and factory on the Ballynahinch Road has disappeared?
My paternal grandparents and father John McKeown lived in Mercer Street (might have been No. 21). The Morrison's in Mercer Street were all brothers of my grandmother. She also had two sisters living there as well, one of whom was Freddie, Annie and May Boyd's mother.
Raymond

And, Ray
Hope you have a nice holiday!

Re: Re: Beautiful Sunday

Hi Ann,

It was the Rooney's who moved from that house at the top of Mercer St.to the Low Rd.The McKeown's took over the house from the Rooney's,I remember when the McKeown's moved to Tonagh. The boys were friendly with my youngest brother Alan (deceased),I did hear that Ann had died,way too young.

Beano

Hi Katie,

Thank you again for the welcome,you are right on, the Strollers were run by George and Francie Graham. I remember a number of the players you mentioned, foremost Leo and Oliver O'Neill,Gerry Skelton played for Lisburn Celtic along with Joe Spiers,I think Hugh McGrogan was the Goalkeeper. The other names are also familiar,especially Sam Potts,he played for the Strollers when he was only 14. Eddie Kidd and John McMullan both played for Barnsley Star, you are really testing the old memory box.

Beano

Beano,

Got it in one, hubby played right back, E. Kidd,
J. McMullan and S. Potts played with them also on occasions.

Don't I know it, many a time I had to wash all the kits.

Katie

Hi Ray,

An alarm bell just rang......I now know who you are,the McKeowns and the Morrison families were original residents in Mercer St. Freddy Boyd was a chum of mine and his sister May ran around with my young sister Elizabeth and Frances Totten. I had a good chat with your Aunt Margaret last time I was home,I forgot to ask her about your cousin Kathleen Keery,is she still in Lisburn?. I can't ask you about all the families,it would take up too much space.....

Regards,
Beano

Katie,

I know Doreen would not have envied you washing all those kits. My old buddy Joe Shields was the Goalie behind your husband. I also remember George Elder,Ernie Coard,Norman Coulter,Robin Patton,Bobby Spence and Norman(Heck)McAllister playing for the "Star" there was a great rivalry between them and "Celtic" two very good teams in their day. Memories are made of this, I bet the "Dabbler" will know a few of those names.

Beano

Morning Billy/Beano
Nice to hear you're enjoying life; and yes, of course, I know most of those names. Woder if all/any are still living?
I was flattered when you wrote some time ago that you thought I had come a long way since starting life in the mill. Not quite correct, but your name conjures up a vivid memory of The Island, and the workmates there.
Slightly confused, too. All that have shown you is my ability to write a few verses that rhyme.
You are the one who has achieved a great deal.
What do you consider to be your greatest achievemenbts in life?
Same questioon to others who may care to reply.
Joe/Dabbler

Dabbler/Beano,

As you both worked in the Island Mill, I wonder do you remember mills called "Lagan Valley" and "Lisnagarvey",
I was speaking to a cousin (88 yrs) who lives in Wales and she told me she worked there when very young in the "Lagan Valley Mill" as did her brother and mother and my mother.The mills were on the road Altona is on.
I know you both would be too young, but did you know they had existed, as I had never heard of them.

Beano,

Hubby and I new all the names you mentioned, I remember Alex Elder living beside Craigs, and Rush families, do you remember a lad living with the Elders called Martin, I cannot remember his Surname, I think he became a Minister in the church.

Katie

Katie

Dabbler, re your question of greatest achievements in life. Without giving it any thought, I think I would have to say giving birth to my 4 children as a big number one.

I have pride in other things which I've achieved. Namely, going back to evening classes as a mature student and gaining a number of O levels and 1 A level. That was at a time when I was working full-time with 4 children at school. Mind you, I couldn't do it now and I'm not even working. Glad I did it at the time.

Also proud of all the ballroom and latin medals we achieved over the years. Made great friends and had super times, never to be replaced.

Glad I did all those things when I was able.

Hi Joe/Dabbler,

My greatest achievement without a doubt was marrying Doreen, who in turn has given me a wonderful daughter and son, that is no.1.
No.2 was coming to Canada,the achievement part was persuading Doreen to make the move,the "Troubles" were in high gear and neither of us wanted any part of it, we haven't looked back.

I get the feeling Joe that we would have been good friends, had things turned out differently for both of us. As to your writings it's not just the poetry,you have a way of expressing yourself in a very Journalistic way........keep it up.

Billy (Beano)

Hi Katie,

I don't remember any of those Mills you mentioned.

Martin Davis is the name you are looking for.The Elders use to live in the Island House beside the gate and looking out on the Lagan before moving over to the "Greenwood "estate. I understand Martin was living in Canada,somewhere in the mid west.

Ask hubby if he knows of the where abouts of any of the players we mentioned before. I do know that Joe Shields had passed away, I saw a write up in the Star about Joe, after he had died.

Beano

Billy
I wholeheartedly endorse your opinion on the probability of us being friends, despite huge difference in ideas about religion.
My thoughts on achievements also closely match your own. Producing two sons was the easy part. Rearing them was the achievement. My wife did all the hard work in that respect. Her example, showing fortitude and determination in adversity, was what dragged me up from being a selfish little lout on the borders of criminality to becoming a fairly decent wee man with deep regrets for wrongdoing, and who managed to throw together enough effort over the ensuing years to gain the love and respect of all the people who matter.
Ann
You are a nice woman.

Along with my wife, I'm going to spend most of the day, like yesterday, clearing brambles and rubble at the back of our garden fence, and repairing same. Have a nice day.

Billy,

Thanks for replying about the mills, I tried to look them up on the internet, but it said the mills were not there anymore. Hubby thinks one of the mills was facing the white house with a high wall around it.(road to Altona).
On the right hand side, were a little row of grey cottages, with a bit of lane which maybe lead down to the mill. (my cousin said weaving mills)

Hubby says he only sees, Ted Murphy, Duggie Dowling,
Sammy Potts,Oliver O'Neill, Rocky Burns,Hugh McGrogan, Gerald Skelton, all retired, Eddie Kidd died a few years ago, he was a nice fellow,he still see his brother Neville, who is married to a County Down girl,and a good few are dead.

Hubby says, like him they are all on the runway, waiting on the big plane coming, but he hopes it is not too soon.

I was speaking to Duggie and Ted two weeks ago, they are gentlemen of leisure out for breakfast and walking down the mall, eyeing the talent, though I am sure they would'nt dream of looking.

By the way Beano, when very young I use to have a notion of Martin Davis, a very shy person just like me.

Katie

With regards to the Martin Davis you refer to.
Did he have a slight stammer and attend the Tech?

Hi Low Roader,

That was Martin Davis,he was in the CLB(JTC)along with me,it is over 50 years since I last saw him.

Beano

Hi Beano,
Thank you.
Martin was in the same class as me at the Tech.
I have not seen him since then.

Hi Beano,

How did you know Leo O'Neill?

Ann, you paint a wonderful "picture" of what I miss most.
A breakfast fry, on any morning.
My off to school breakfast as I went through the Wallace Park
was bacon on two pieces of fried soda bread, while riding a bike.
My uncle Norman Allen, could always find bacon even (as I have been told during the "war")
CI

Hi Peter,

I only knew Leo through the football. One time when I was back home he set me up a drink in Neeson,s pub in Smithfield.

Beano

Carolina, I notice that some of or exiles appear to be picking up topics from years ago and adding to them. Nothing at all wrong with that, but it confused me for a moment or two. Yes, the Ulster Fry is what most people miss. The wheaten and soda breads, potato farls, pancakes, the lovely Irish bacon (I remember in USA you could only get streaky bacon) not to mention the sausages. There's nothing as appetizing as bacon sizzling away in the pan. My youngest grand-daughter was here the other day. She's not a good eater, refuses to eat veg. She's 19 and in her second year at uni. She called here on her way home from her part-time job. I asked her if she wanted anything to eat. She said she wasn't hungry. However, I fried several slices of back bacon and made her a bacon butty with brown sauce.. (she doesn't eat eggs either). She wasn't long finding her appetite. Even as I type this, I feel hungry and can almost taste the bacon. Better get the breakfast started. Porridge and toast with honey. Fries are for the weekends only.

Do you remember much about him?

Hi Peter,

The only thing I knew about Leo was as a footballer, as steady as they come. I think he played a little bit of cricket for " TILRO" which was Orlit the prefab building company spelled backwards.

Beano

Thanks for responding. He played a bit of golf too :)