Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Tidy Doffer

Hi Ann .
Regarding your husband and sons going fishing to Fermanagh . My late brother Enver and myself went to Pettigo , Co Fermanagh . I had plagued him to go , and we hired an open boat with outboard engine . The owner advised not to go out on the lough , as the white horses were showing , waves with white tops . But my brother knew i was very keen to go , and did not want to dissapoint me . We set out , and the wind got a little stronger , and the waves seemed to be getting bigger , anyway we fished and did not get a bite , so we made our way back to shore , and then the lough changed into very calm , and it was beautiful . But i tell you i was scared , as we did not have life jackets , and things could have turned out nasty , due to my stuborness . So maybe it was just to be that your Dominic and the boys were not meant to go . There are other days , and more fish to catch .

Thomas, yes, there were white horses yesterday as well. I almost said another word there, as the s is very close to the w on the keyboard. That happened to me in my work one time, in Barbour Threads. I was sending a memo to a Mr Whitaker and, missing the right key, I was sending it to a Mr ****aker, but luckily enough my boss discovered the mistake before the memo was sent off. TRUE.

Thomas, South Pacific was terrific. "Younger than Springtime". "Some Enchanted Evening", "Gonna wash that man right outta my hair", "Bloody Mary" and all the others. Great singing, scenery was outstanding, all the different sets, the house was packed.

On the way out, in the foyer, I met my brother, wife and daughter. Didn't even know they were going. It was a Mother's Day treat. We could have had a box for 5 if we'd known.

Of course Villa Italia was up to the usual standard. Afraid, Thomas, instead of 2 glasses of wine, we had a bottle, followed by two complimentary zambucas - very tasty. Just had to come on the computer in case I missed anything.

Hubby and I are booked for Calamity Jane shortly.

well i learnt to drink mothers milk there .it always was in dark at night, like closed ,to those in the know you parked out the front and slipped in the back door and lo and behold it was full of drinking patrons .,usually after hours ,. there as large as life was billy pressure behind the bar .he was a great guy, i suppose he has passed away by now .???

Hi All.

Anyone who are interested , the photo of The Tidy Doffer , has been kindly entered by Jim , go to Photographs , click on to Tom Mc Kay no3 , at the bottom of the other photos , is photo of Tidy Doffer taken about a month ago .

Ann you must have had a ball with your friend , and getting Pear Drops also , from a good looking doctor . Are you sure he was not a Lisburn Man , with his good manners .
Regarding Barbours Mill , my mother worked there in the Box Making , and i used to listen to her stories , about running down the road to the main gate in the rain , only to be locked out .And had to go back at lunchtime . And we talk about the Good Old Days . She named a man in charge named Jimmy Kavenagh ,away before your time . I had the privilage to visit the mill , and was shown around by the security man . He took me to the Boxmaking room , and it was a little bit sentimental , to think of my mother and others climbing the stone stairs , and working in the large room , to make a life for her family , like others. The place was like everyone had just stood up and walked out through the front gates . Desks , computers and machinery was everywhere . This is progress , and time marches on
The photos of the interior of the mill are on the Photograph section .
All the best !
Tommy

Jimmy Presho passed away this week, I think he was a brother of Billy. Ann my son is in Calamity Jane, not sure what part but will let you know later.

Hi Maggi, don't forget to let me know which part your son has. Will you be going yourself?

Oh yes Ann I will be there!!

Re: Re: The Tidy Doffer

Skippie, I have many fond memories of Preshaws. We used to extend the sing song into the cottage after the pub closed. Brothers Billy and Tommy were great characters, always had a smile and enjoyed a good laugh. Darts were common on Sundays in the barn.
I have only seen the Tidy Doffer from satellite photo’s, and apparently it was very nice, but I think Ravarnette lost a bit of history when Preshaws closed.
Terry

Maggi, will have to check our tickets but I think we go to the Saturday matinee. It's good at that time because then afterwards we can go for a meal and it's still not too late.

I'm only stupid looking you know!!!!!!

Wonder can I coax hubby to go to Villa Italia? For me, it's the tops. Only thing is, with me being a good cook, hubby is spoiled and likes ME to make the meal. Wil have to work on him that week!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi I know this thread is years old but came across it looking for an old photo of the pub my great granda ran. Its great to see people speak so warmly of the place that I spent so much of my childhood in even if Presho keeps getting spelt wrong. My great granda Billy who ran tje bar is still alive and well but his wife Doris unfortunately passed away in Feb this year aged 91.

Hi Gillian,

I remember your great granda very well, he used to call me up to sing anytime I was there. Incidentally Billy's brother Tommy was married to Kitty Dickey who was a full cousin of my father. It is great to know Billy is still around.

Beano

Hi Billy (Beano)

Was Presho's the Tidy Doffer ,?
Hope all are Well in the Hanna family .
Regards!
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

You got it right first time, Presho's and the Tidy Doffer are the same place. Presho's was know as "The Perseverance Inn", you would be very lucky to get a seat in it on a Satuday night, it had to be knocked down to build "The Tidy Doffer". Incidentally Billy had sold the property to the group that owned the "Hillside" in Hillsborough.
Hope all is well in Glengormley, best wishes to Evelyn and yourself.

Beano

Hi Billy ( Beano )

Many thanks , you are like Dabbler , a walking ( billy's weekly liar ) Do you remember it ? or should i say Encyclobetia , i hope that is how it is spelt .
All best wishes from old Glengormley !
Regards!
Tommy

Tommy, I am suitably insulted. I know nothing about The Tidy Doffer, so I cannot write about that. I know even less, if possible, about Hillsborough. I am not sure whether or not I have told lies online. None were intentional. But I used to tell the priest sins I had not committed, just in case God had a better memory than I had.

Dabbler,

You were naughty as well......that was funny..I mean the memory bit.

Beano

I can't sleep, Beano. Guilty conscience, perhaps. I really did tell the priest that I lied and swore, though I was fairly certain I was in a 'state of grace'. I doubt if even the naughty boys, and I was not one, committed sins every week,