Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Other Schools

In the forties/fifties, which school did these boys attend:
Edward and Neville Kidd, Tom (Tit) Logan, Harry McVeigh, John Herron, Richie Neill.

Re: Other Schools

Dabbler,

Hubby says, Lisburn Central he thinks.

Re: Other Schools.

Dabbler,

Harry mc Veigh went to Lisburn Boy's Chapel Hill. He had a sister called Mary.

Joe

The end of an era:

http://www.lisburntoday.co.uk/news?articleid=2987081

Ballyskeagh/Drumbeg will never be the same.

LR here are two other links about Charley Memorial

http://www.lisburn.com/information/2007news/closure-of-primary-schools.html

http://www.lisburn.com/churches/church-news-2007/charley-memorial-primary-school.htm

Iwent to William Foote primary and was lucky enough to be home the year before they pulled it down oh the memories.
Gordon

Jim,
Thank you for the info.
LR

Re: Re: Other Schools

Hi Gordon,
I also went to Willie Foote. What time frame were you there? It was sad to hear that it had been torn down.
I have a book that contains a short history, compiled by Pearl Reynolds. My cousin found it at the linen center. Would love to hear from you.
Sylvia.

K and J, thanks for the info.

The William Foote School Lisburn
A Short History and School-day Reminiscences

http://www.lisburn.com/books/william_foote/william_foote.html

Hi all,the greatest crime in any school was at the Convent, young girls were subjected to horrible times by the Nuns, it has caused deep trouble in the life of my wife, scared her forever and if I could hire a Lawyer I would sue the Church.

Hi Sylvia
I started in 1957 from memory the first and second years were in the church hall next door and there was a big curtain between the two classes and we used to play outside with bean bags and hula hoops.The teacher I remember the most was Mr Norris he used to send me to the shop on the other side of Castle St for his block of tobacco he always smoked a pipe.

Regards Gordon

hello
re schools. does anyone know if brownlee is still operating? or any small histories available for instance where does the name come from?
regards to all tom

Tom
If you enter 'brownlee' in the google search box on the top right of lisburn.com front page and click on search site there is quite a bit of information about brownlee.

Jim

Gordon,
I remember that big curtain in the church hall. Thats where infants and baby infants were. The teacher was Miss McCracken. The girls also had her for sewing, all by hand. I don't think I'll ever forget how to hand sew a seam. I really did'nt care for her too much, she was quite mean. My favorite teacher was Mr. Nelson, 4th class. Andy Norris was ok, I think he taught 6th in Wallace park? Am I correct on this. Leinster loved to cane the boys, sometimes for no reason, but was a good teacher.
I was there in 53/54 if memory serves me right. The book I refered to has pictures of some of the students, and teachers as well.
Sylvia.

Re: Re: Re: Other Schools

Anybody remember Mrs Uprichard at William Foote? When and why was it torn down?I was there from '50-56..57!!I remember all the teachers aforementioned.Miss McCraken walked me to baby infants sometimes. I lived on llewellyn Ave, remembered having to learn to spell where I lived...thought I'd never get it?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Other Schools

I was in Miss Uprichard' s class. I remember she played the piano poorly. She has been referred to as the grandmotherly type, but she could be pretty mean too.
I must have been there same time as you, my class mates included Margaret Boyd, French Gilpin, Doreen Lyness, Muriel Chestnutt, Gwen Doory, Hilary Bromley,
boys were Sam Braithwaite, Tommy Graham, George Reid to name a few.
Sylvia.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Other Schools

Sylvia, thanks for the response.I remember Mrs Uprichard as pretty mean. She carried a 6 inch rule and she never forgot which knuckle she had rapped, even after 10-15 minutes. She was always able to rap it again...never knew if it was necessary or not? I remember a couple of the names you mentioned. Somehow I can't recall students at William Foote. I left in '57-'58 and went to Wallace.I was given NO chance to pass the 11 plus...somehow I did. Again ...why was it torn down? I was last on the Low Road in 1999 and it was still there. I lived on Spruce St, after I started Wallace.I do remember a Sylvia and you would be the Sylvia I remember because I have never met another Sylvia.Going back to Mrs Uprichard, I remember she was the one that made the morning coffee for all the staff. Coffee was unusual but I remember the aroma!Also I think her son or nephew was the goalkeeper for the N.I. football team? Anybody know? ah.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Other Schools

Hi all,
Thank goodness things have changed and teachers are not allowed to put their hands on you or take a cane to you. We had a teacher in Largymore, Mr Clark, and he hated children. One of the girls who wasn't too smart got a caneing for every spelling word she got wrong. Then there was the boy he loved to hold by the front of his tie and tip up the chair. What a tyrant that teacher was. I'd love to meet him today.
Thelma

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Other Schools

hi all ex Wm.Footers,I recall Ms Upritchard,Jimmy Wells,Mrs Mc Cracken, Ma Price as we called her,Davie Leinster and Andy Norris on his wee motor bike, noteables at school were Ian Hamilton, Harold Small, Bobby Millar,to name a few, ladies were Lorna McCormack, Doris Atkinson,heather Topping plus many more.I should sit down and write them all out just to keep my memory up to par. LR did not forget your misses.

: Re: Other Schools

Hi Frazer,
I seem to remember you, Lorna,& Maureen McCormick were in my class also Vera, she was one of my friends. Do you remember the student teacher Mr.Watson, he was quite good looking and of course all the girls liked him, he taught 6th. He was a very good artist. But one time he came to school with his leg in a cast, after school we were all out front and he came riding out of the gate on his bicycle, everybody had a good laugh. Next day he was furious, and all the boys got a canning, guess he did'nt have much of a sense of humor. He's still around Lisburn, my sister sees him from time to time. I would love to run into him next time I'm home. I often wonder if some of these teachers are still alive, do they think about how they treated their students, and the effect it had, and do they feel guilty.
Sylvia.

Frazer,
And what an advert she is for the Willie Boot.

Hope all is well with you and the family.
It is good to see you back on.

LR

Re: : Re: Other Schools

sylvia
yes you,re right about the teachers and their bashings if it happened nowadays there would be lawsuits all sorts
when i got home from school with aching hands and weal marks or told the tale of the cane i was told ;'' you must have deserved it ''
old days thank heavens tom

Tom McKay,

Are u the last lad on the second row?, I spotted Raymond McKeown near the end of the front row and I think I saw Lorna Rush. Will look for ur answer at a later date.

Another clue,

Dad's brother killed during the First World War, his name is on the cenotaph in Lisburn, but if u r ever near the cenotaph,have a look but u will have to read all the names.
All the best,

Katie

Katie and Tom McKay

All the names on the cenotaph including hilden war memorial are listed on the site at http://www.lisburn.com/war_memorials/lisburn_memorial.html
click on war memorials on the menu on the front page

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks, I did'nt know that, I will look it up, he died way before I was born.

Katie

Hi Jim again,

Just seen my uncle's name on the printed list, did see it on the cenotaph, when I was a young girl, when my aunt told me about it.

Thanks again,

Katie

Hallo Carolina
Your reference to coffee aroma brought back memories of my childhood at the locks and Annie McPolin. She was the only person then for miles around who drank coffee. It was an extract in a bottle. My Gran told me she was employed as a young girl as a housekeeper for an affluent family and probably acquired her taste for it there. Lowroader , Fraser ,and a few others may remember her. Her brother John was the last lock keeper at Scott's locks, I faintly remember another sister Charlotte dying and being waked in the house No 3 Lockview, my first view of a corpse as a boy of 5 years. They were also the first family around to have a radio, one which was powered by batteries which were brought to a radio shop where the present Lisburn Museum now is to be charged

Hi Katie Stewart .
I hope you read this before your holiday , just to wish you and your husband an enjoyable and safe holiday . I am on the Central photograph NO 4 at the back row on the left hand side. Lorna Rush is also no 4 on the front row also the left hand side .Billy Mc Cullough is no 1 on the front row left hand side.Do you know anything about Raymond Mc Keown .

All the best .
Tommy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Other Schools

I remember Mrs Uprichard, she also taught my mother, obviously i was teachers pet as very often she would ask me to take the class.
However in my my first year 1 was 4,i was humiliated and browbeaten by a teacher,my mother returned from her mothers funereal in London, and did the mother thing I never said anything. But she eventually got the story, so she went to the school, and spoke about it to Mrs Uprichard, who did react, for which I am forever grateful.