Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Friendship

I notice my name mentioned several times and yes I am the Daphne Martin, that run for Lisburn Central, Lisburn Tech and also the Lisnagarvey Harriers. I knew Peggy Martin (with red hair that went to the convent) she was in class with me at the Tech. Also Ann Heasley, Gwen Singleton, Margaret Stewart, Mavis Patton, and the list goes on. Anne McConnell and Carol Brown were also part of that crowd. On a Friday, our parents would give us the money for lunch at school 1.3 and instead of having to get the terrible fish at the Tech, we would all sneak across to Montgomery's Fish Shop. We all had so many wonderful times at the Tech, and so many lost friends. I have a school picture and hopefully I will be able to get it scanned and put on the web, maybe then we can remember names, because my memory is fading and when I look at the photo today, can't remember all of the names.

Re: Friendship

Daphne,
Ann was right, who u were, I remember u, (A famous song)I think u went to Lisburn Central. U would not really know me, I also think u were in the girls brigade and very bubbly.Ur mummy kept u lovely, likemy did of me.
Did u go to Canada in the late fifties or early sixties?. I sure u knew Margaret Burns she went to school with Ann and I, she owned a ladies shop in the town, but sadly died a few years ago,Seymour Matthers who lived not far from me although he is now dead, he married a girl called Nan Ferris. Katie.

Daphne I was in your class in my second year. My official name is Ann but you would know me by another name. I had auburn hair and was a real rebel at the Tech. I didn't really like it, particulary Da Devlin's class although I got a Pass in Book-Keeping in my Junior. Can you guess who I am? DO NOT give my Christian name out although some people already know who I am. Margaret Keery was in our class too, she was the class beauty then with her lovely blonde page boy styled hair. Remember?

Katie, are Margaret Burns' brothers dead?
Ann, have you seen what happens if anyone clicks on your emailsign?

Dabbler,
Her brothers, were Ken & John who worked a young lad in Hilden Mill, don't know much about them, years since I saw them, heard years ago John was in South Africa, sweetie went to school with them. There are loads of Burn's in Lisburn all cousins, I worked with a cousin of theirs, I also lived near must of the connections and knew them all.

Katie

Re: Re: Friendship

Dabbler, No I don't know what happens and I dread to think. I'll give t a go right now.

Re: Re: Re: Friendship

Yes, Dabbler, I see what you mean. (Doh)

Daphne, Do you know Ann McConnell was Lady Mayoress of Belfast a few years ago I remember you all at the Tech you were a bit ahead of me. Margaret

Re: Re: Friendship

Dabler, Ken and John Burns are still alive Ken in Hillsborough and John in S Africa. Margaret Burns married name was Clarke and unfortunely Margaret died a few years ago.