Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ethnic

A new initiative aimed at getting more people from ethnic backgrounds involved in soccer in NI has been launched by the Irish Football Association.

The IFA has teamed up with South Belfast assembly member Anna Lo to launch its "Football Without Frontiers" group at Stormont.

Anna Lo also wants a new law introduced in NI to help crack down on racist and sectarian chanting at matches.

Was reading Northern Ireland News BBC just now and came across this passage. Upon looking up " ethnic " I was surprised to read that one of its meanings is heathen or pagan! Is my Encyclopedia & Dictionary out of date or is the use of the word in this context not correct. Don,t forget I've been speaking ( or trying to ) a foreign language for 37 years now. Can anyone enlighten me?
Donald

Re: ethnic

Main Entry: 1eth·nic
Pronunciation: 'eth-nik
You are not wrong Donald, although in today's climate it is used only to descibe a member of a particular race/ colour.

Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Late Latin ethnicus, from Greek ethnikos national, gentile, from ethnos nation, people; akin to Greek Ethos custom -- more at SIB
1 : HEATHEN
2 a : of or relating to large groups of people classed according to common racial, national, tribal, religious, linguistic, or cultural origin or background b : being a member of a specified ethnic group c : of, relating to, or characteristic of ethnics

Thanks Lowroader,
I think a better terminology would be " people from another culture or race". Here in Germany a term which was used to describe immigrants in the 50s has fallen into disrepute " Gastarbeitern " , meaning guest workers. I find it contradictory, as it is not expected from a guest that he works, ( an example = you invite me to visit and say " nice of you to come, here are the cleaning materials now clean my house " ).
Donald

Donald and LR, remember I was talking about being out for lunch with friends on the day our wee dogs were being clipped? Up the Antrim Coast. Who do you think sat at the next table in the hotel- ONLY Anna Lo accompanied by 3 friends. She was lovely, so tiny and slim and had on a fine leather trouser suit (for female readers only). That was the day I had the massive 3 fillets of cod with chips and peas. Anna Lo had a bowl of soup and a slice of wheaten bread. That's why she's so thin. We had recommended the food to her and, by way of explanation, she said that she was making dinner that evening. My husband says to her "Obviously, you haven't been in Norn Iron long enough because we eat 2 dinners here anyway". She had a good laugh at this, but it's the truth (in our house anyway). I know it wasn't very interesting but that's another "famous person" chalked up in my book. I think they're following me.

What a name dropper.

THREE pieces of fish. You are a real glutton.

No wonder your Tesco bill is bigger than my poor pension.

That sort of meal would have fed me and mine for the best part of a week.

I am afraid I never meet any famous people as they do not frequent our local chippy.

Re: Re: ethnic

LR, yes, I know, I come across the very best people. Yes, I am greedy, as a big Welshman told me on holiday one time some years ago. This was after he and his wife shared a meal with hubby and me and couldn't believe how much I ate. Mind you, hubby, although he has no weight, can eat me under the table.