Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norn Iron terminology

At the risk of embarrassment for suggesting a topic that may or may not have been already on this forum, I would like to be reminded of or made aware of typical NI, specifically local to Lisburn, sayings, phrases or words and what they mean.
I previously tried to get the origin of "duncher" but so far have not been very successful.

Re: Norn Iron terminology

Excodowner,
I think the word duncher was a hat probally came from the word dunce, me think, or something on the head.(logic)

Katie

Re: Re: Norn Iron terminology

Hi,
I googled it and a duncher is a flat cap that used to be worn by shipyard workers at Harland & Wolff in Belfast.

Thelma

Re: Re: Re: Norn Iron terminology

I know what a duncher is, I have none, but where did the word come from?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Norn Iron terminology

Woopps, I meant I have one.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Norn Iron terminology

Hi excodowner,
I should have been cleaning my house but I've been googling duncher cap for the last hour. Even checked in my book called "Speakin norn iron as she shud be spoke" by Doreen Mc Bride. I saw familiar words like...bake, bucketin, stickin out, poke. No wonder these Canadians didn't understand a word I said when I was a new immigrant.
Thelma