Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Forum use

Maybe it's time the Lisburn Webpage started a forum to be used by non-ex-pats to gossip about Tescos' etc.
Then we could get back to interesting subjects on the Exiles' forum.
That should stir something up.

Re: Forum use

What interesting subjects are we keeping you from? Can't wait to hear.

I believe you may well be fishing so I will restrain myself in replying.

The contributions made by the "non - ex Pats" as you so solicitously refer to them has kept the forum going.

I am not an ex-pat, simply a Lisburn person who has left there and without the contribution of the " non ex- pats" (what a childish expression that is) there is a distinct possibility that we would not have a forum.

I am sure, like others, we welcome your input, minimal though it appears to be and I for one hope you will grace us with your repartee in the furure.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong but the activity in the past few weeks has been a great improvement on the previous few months.

I await your response with bated breath.

Signed,
Tescos is wonderful.

Re: Re: Forum use

Shouldn't you be making yer man's tea now?

"Tescos is wonderful"
Kinda says it all.

Re: Re: Re: Forum use

Is that the sum content of your input? Surely not.

Obviously your sense of humour matches your grammar.

"Tea" as you call it is ready. Mashed potatoes, green peas (the ones you have to steep), carrots, mixed salad with a lovely garlic (home made dressing) and grilled pork chops. That's followed by home made strawberry pavlova. Not ashamed of it either. BOOM BOOM. My husband has just left to buy a bottle of white wine as an aperitif. I call that VERY CIVILIZED. Did you have a meal like that recently?

Lighten up folks.

What is this? The Spanish Inquisition? Come on, tell us all your exciting news.

Low Roader, I love it when you use all those big words and thank you for coming to our defence. I think what was said may well have been in a jocust way, but we have to keep them in line, don't we?

Excodowner,

Are all the exiles sleeping, maybe different time zones.
Don't u think Ann's contribution is very interesting and
the exiles anywhere, would enjoy reading all that she has to write with such elegance on so many subjects.
I to am having Pavlova with strawberries and cream, which I made myself. I had American's visiting a few weeks ago and they had never heard of Pavlova but loved it.
Excodowner what would u like us to talk about?
Katie.
Katie.

Now Katie, as my granny used to say, "Don't be pulling my leg out by the root" with all those compliments.

Ex-Co Downer (the Co Downers were alwaysa funny lot anyway, not like us Low Roaders). Anyway, I showed my son the craic that was going on and he said to tell you, "You've been away too long, don't you know that your heels are cut off at that knees still" here. Savvy?

Low Roader,Ann and Katie,

You are all a delight to this "exile", whatever the subject, you are bringing a bit of "Home" to me. Unlike Dabbler and Donald I am not a reader of books, so this Forum is my entertainment. Whether you live in Lisburn or have chosen another place to reside, all your comments are very much welcome to me, and I thank you all for that.

Beano

Beano to the rescue. (William Tell theme)

Beano,
Forgot to tell U my daughter is in Canada at the moment on holiday, she started in Vancover then headed to Whisper,is going to Alberta, Lake Louisa, and some other palces and then to stay with some people she knows in Lake Victoria, she sent a text today and said so far it is a lovey country with beautiful scenery, she now lives in Tipperary (its a long way to go).She has just past her masters (1st class honours)in psychology (she takes her brains after me, ha ha) so she deserves a holiday, she has done a good lot of touring America so thought Canada deserved a try.
She is much quiter than me, not that I am rowdy just like a good laugh
Katie

There's no accounting who we take our brains after, but congratulations on your daughter's success.

Ann,

As an ex-Co.Downer myself and proud of it, don't be picking on us because of one errant soul. If he doesn't like the "Craic" so be it. God bless the Co.Down........and the Low Rd.,Longstone, Warren Park, all over the town.

Beano

My Daughters and Grand kids haven't got my brains, I still have mine.
Donald

Beano,
I left home well over 40 years ago to head for foreign parts and I have seldom been back except for births, deaths and marriages.
I love to hear of the goings on in Lisburn and having discovered this forum I cherish the camaraderie that has grown up.
I welcome the recent additions with their mundane "kitchen based" lives.
It makes me realise what a witty, intelligent and worldly wise person they are priviliged to converse with.
Some of us read books, some listen to the radio and others such as Ann and Pat and now their new friend Katie just do what wimmin should do - minister to their superior's every need.
I use this forum to say things MY superior officer would never tolerate, but as she never gets to read it I can act with some real NornIron bravado.

Long may it continue.

I was born and bred near the Low Road side of the Lagan, but was moved to the Co. Down side of town just before I went to the Tech.
Pinky Waring was Principal then. I remember Anne Higginson, Jim Milligan, Billy McCullagh and a few others.
Yes, I have been away from Lisburn for a long time now,but, it is still 'home' to me.
I hadn't heard that expression before and really don't quite understand it, but I got a laugh anyway.
I loved the other expression I got from the forum, from Beano I think...."don't throw your dummy out of the pram".
I would like to learn other sayins like that.
By the way, Beano, I don't think the ladies should say things like that about Co.Downers.
Have a great day, folks.

Ann and Katie,

Do you remember Daphne Martin from your Tech days,she played hockey, her boyfriend was Billy McCullagh from Smithfield. Anyway her and I are phone buddies, she was on the phone earlier and I was telling her about the both of you. She lives out in Saskatoon, that's on the Praires and is married to a Ukrainian chap called Tkachuk(pronounced Kachook).

Beano

Hi Low Roader,
Just to let you know I have just finished a pile of ironing, the sweat is flying off me,I think sweetie whould have left me years ago, but young birds nowadays
don't iron or so I am told. Says he loves me everyday
but I know he is only after my ironing and baking.

Katie

Beano,
Watchin a programme on Princess Diana' death so in a hurry.
I knew Bill MCullough reared near me, next door the two Stewarts u know, also lived just around the corner from me when he married, his wife died a lot of years ago (a Dromore girl).
Billy was a very good looking lad,with blond curly hair,
he moved, so hav'nt seen him lately. Was Daphne Martin
from Warren Gardens, if so, she was a good looking also
she went to Canada years ago (when she was young)
Katie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Forum use

Not since Sunday.

Ann,
Glad you finally got it, but am also glad that Tescos only came up once in about 25 or so postings.
Cheers.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Forum use

By the way, I think you meant(as I did) 'jocose' or 'jocund'.

Katie,
Methinks you will have some correspondence soon from a young lady in Canada.

How do I know, you may ask.
I'm very, very clever you see - ask Tescos answer to the Spend Spend lady who won the pools many years ago.

I went to the Tech with Daphne Martin. When I was at the Convent School, she was the only one who ever beat me at the sprint race. Ronnnie, it's too late, what do you mean about the Spend, Spend lady? My brain ceases at 9 pm.

LR I love my wee kitchen. It is exactly where I spend most of my time, except for the garden. Why is it, when we have parties, that everyone congregates in the kitchen? Because it is the heart of the home, that's why. You know that too, albeit you deny it. Night, night.

1 2