Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lisburn

Hi Anyone,

Far and near,does anyone remember Montgomery's and Gennesi's fish and chips,or Rossi's ice cream and did any of u play in the Castle Gardens or venture down the
ryan's for a dare, or even swing in the Wallace Park on a summer evening and at Easter time walk to curry's glen to roll a egg.
Now someone else come on and tell us ur memories of the
town.

Katie Jun

Re: Lisburn

Hi I never went down the Ryans or indeed Currys Glen (where was that?). I did roll my egg in the Castle Gardens on Easter Mondays, sometimes the Wallace Park. You used to be able to buy a fish supper for 1/2d in Ginesi's. Remember the Trocadero in Bridge Street - hot pie and peas on Sunday night. Montgomery's fish was beautiful too as was their wee ice cream parlour with all the different coloured jellies in the kitchen, plus chocolate flakes, marshmallows, fudge and toffee, butterscotch sauce, etc. for your ice-cream. Remember the XL chewing gum which everyone said contained maggots. I was just saying to hubby tonight, because it's a beautiful clear sunny evening, that when we were courting we would have gone for long walks (3 or 4 miles) up the Antrim Road, Harmony Hill, Old Hillsborough Road, round by Ravarnette, everywhere and anywhere. That's what everybody did then, no TVs, computers. Remember the picture house - I was talking about it a while back, and Sticky Sloan turning on the lights if there was too much noise. When my friends and I watched a musical, after the matinee was over we went home and re-enacted the scenes. I always wanted to be the star dancer or the best looking actress. I'm sure other people have loads of memories too.

Ann,
Curry's Glen was out by Ravarnette ur hubby should know that, remember the poor woman who used to sing St. Theresa of the Roses up and down the picture queue and Sticky Sloan shouting and if the fellows were not behaving they were put of the line. Would'nt get away with that now. Where are all the Lisburn Exiles, they must have something to tell.
I used to see Beano at the pictures as it was called then.
Katie

Re: Re: Lisburn

Katie, I agree. We're not even exiles and we're on all the time. Maybe we were wise to stay at home. We seem to have more free time. I'm glad you've joined the Forum because I was beginning to feel like The Lone Ranger, apart from LR, Beano, Liz, Pat, Thelma, Donald and a couple of others. Dabbler disappears from time to time but when he's on he's good craic. Have been working in the garden most of the day and my oul bones are sore. In fact, I was on my hands and knees planting a few flowers and found that I couldn't get up afterwards. SAD, I say, SAD. I did get up eventually but with difficulty. Therefore, everyone will be glad to know that I'm going to bed shortly. So all you lookers-in, you now have the freedom of the box to say what you will. Night Night.

Ann,
I was in the garden also skipping about and moving plants no bother....... Forgot to tell u my dog was put to sleep yesterday, it had cancer, sweetie and I are very
sad could'nt speak about it yesterday. He was a Westie
called Scottie.
Going to watch a bit of TV.
Katie. Sleep tight

Katie,

You have me at a disadvantage, you saw me at the "Pictures", so obviously you know what I look like.
Again, should I know you?.The only Stewart girls I knew where Kathleen and Rosemary from Smithfield.
What am I thinking about, Stewart is your married name would I know you by your maiden name?. You have me curious.

Beano

My memories of Lisburn are the Top Hat having a few jars in the corner house before hand and a pastie supper in the Niagara on the way home, the fishy smell coming from Felix Elmores, Hector at the market and who remembers Dirty Dick McComesky, kites you used to get from Regent petrol stations and your ma wondering where all her balls of wool went,

Memories were they really that good.
Gordon

Katie, very sorry to hear about your wee dog, but you wouldn't have wanted him to suffer. You'll miss him. In a rush this morning, but will talk more later. I was in Tescos (note this Low Roader) this morning at 8 am doing some shopping. Buy shares before October (when hubby retires). Talk to you all later.

Re: GL0RIOUS DAY

Beano,
I am from Smithfield, know Kathleen & Rosemary, don't think u would know me
but I knew you, were u in the boys brigade in Christ Church?.
Sweetie also played football in the Lisburn League. I also know Winifred, still see her I will tell her u were asking after her,she was always a nice girl.
Have been in the town all morning,shopping in Green's for a few bits not as well off as Ann, in Tessco's every day how many does she think she is feeding. What a beautiful day, everyone seems so happy (what a bit of sunshine can do)a real sunny day here, going to take a book and go into the garden for a while and build my tan up.
P.S. Hubby does'nt know I call him sweetie
Katie

Re: Re: GL0RIOUS DAY

I know Kathleen and Rosemary too. Rosemary used to work in Petal. I still miss that shop. Yes, a beautiful day. The reason I went to Tescos so early was that my hubby takes the car to work and I'm then stranded with my two wee dogs. I supposedly went down for pork chops but ended up with a hefty bill. Bought two boxes of busy lizzies for £6 and a few trailing plants plus my usual flowers, other sundries as well. Katie, my oldest son lives with us and my younger one calls regularly for meals, including tonight. If only hubby and I had the place to ourselves. If only. I keep praying but so far things remain the same, feeding 4 on hubby's salary. To be fair the oldest gives us housekeeping but eats twice what he gives in, plus one of the dogs plus the cat is his as well. The younger one occasionally brings a packet of biscuits or something disgusting that I wouldn't eat anyway, by way of a thank you. This is tongue in cheek, by the way. It's not really but I have to pretend it is. As I say, buy your shares in Tescos before October, because then it'll be the corner shop for me.

Nothing to do with memories or even Lisburn, but Tesco, for those who may really be thinking of investing, are a better risk than houses at the moment. They have an enormous property portfolio, and may also be expanding in the USA.

Dabbler you've been away too long. This Tesco investment is a joke. LR says that with me spending so much money there, it would be worth buying shares before hubby retires in October. After that we won't be able to afford Tescos!!!!

Sorry, Ann.
Self-centred interests taking over. I read the financial pages on the net, and occasionally in the paper, when I can afford one, and, as with the horses - Dutch Art for the St James Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot - I get a bit carried away.

Ann,
Are u off, with hubby to-day.I am being good and going to stay off the town no spending to-day, broke. Going out to do some reading in the garden/yard. Sorry swettie
and I did'nt take shares out in Tescos'

Katie

Late on today, I say, late today. Hubby and I WERE out but not shopping and definitely not Tescos today. Once a week only. We had a very nice lunch in The King's Head which we ate outside in the beautiful sunshine. All the movers and shakers were there in their suits, shirts and ties, looking decidedly uncomfortable. felt quite old sitting there, two old pensionsers, thinking what it used to be like racing out for lunch. Now we have all the time in the world. (that's a song isn't it?) Only joking, I was actually feeling quite relieved that I didn't have to work on a day like this. Then we came home, got the sun loungers out and have been sunbathing all afternoon. Hubby, to my embarrassment, after a while, began to snore. Wouldn't have minded but our neighbours have friends over from Canada and they were all out enjoying the sunshine too. Between hubby snoring and the two wee dogs growlng at the scent of strangers, I pretended I wasn't there and carried on reading Jennie Bond's book. Hubby is now flat out on the bed - he's done, God love?. Anyway, being only a woman, I'm now in the kitchen doing what we were born to do - cook dinner. LR will agree with this and approve. Haven't had time to read all the mail today so am looking forward to doing that later and no doubt replying to anything I feel interests me. Talk to you all later.