Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOW ROADER

Low Roader, Big Happy Birthday. Your secret (age) is safe with me. Have a great day.

Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOW ROADER

Ann,

Look at by way of explanations must go sweetie waiting for me, I always jump when he calls, you know me always do as I am told, that is why I was always called a Good Girl.

Katie

"Happy Birthday", I don'nt celebrate birthdays anymore
Katie

Re: Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOW ROADER

YOU do as your hubby says, "YOU MUST BE JOKING". As for being a good girl, my lips are sealed regarding primary school.

Hi Low Roader (LRR)

If it is your birthday, "Many Happy Returns", now I know your I/D I am positive we played football against each other. I guess you did know Winifred McMaster, I went out with her for about 8 months 54/55,a long time ago.

Ann,
You probably know Winnie, mind you I couldn't have called her that, anyway if you do know her and see her in Lisburn tell her I said hello.

Beano

Could the McMaster family be the one who lived in Lawnbrook Drive? I remember working in Nr3 Winding in Hilden with a lady called McMaster , she was a widow and told me she and her late husband were passionate dancers and used to do " leaders off " in the dining rooms in Hilden at the dances in the 50s. The daughter used to have a little dog which she walked daily . If I,m not mistaken she married someone named Freddie ?.
Donald

Beano & Donald. Winifred McMaster went to the Tech with me - she was a year ahead. She did walk a wee dog and that's why she's still so nice and trim. Hasn't changed a bit. I think she married Freddie Mathers but as far as I know they parted some years ago. I see her VERY occasionally. She lives about Lambeg.

Ann/Beano,
Winifred McMaster lives Harmony Hill area, did she not marry someone Frazer don't know first name or maybe last name Frazer.

Katie

Beano,
Yes it is my birthday today.
I am 48. I also tell fibs.
I certainly knew our Winnie. We are, in fact, related. Just think Beano, WE could have been relatives - in - law. How lucky you were,
I knew you went out with her .
I know we played against each other. In fact, I suspect we may have played in the same team once or twice.

Donald,
As ever, I never ceased to be amazed at your powers of recall.
Winnies mother, who was , I think called Ellie (could be wrong, very old person me),
was indeed widowed. Her husband Thomas died tragically whilst playing football in his tea break at Shorts Altona factory and yes, they were well known for their dancing and were in demand as “lead off dancers”.
I know she worked in the mill. I seem to be the only one from the Low Road who didn’t.

Winnie married Jim Fraser from the Ballynahinch Road. They were divorced a long time ago.

Sorry for the delay but I am not as fast as those who spend their time in the kitchen.

Low Roader, why did I think that Winnie was married to Freddie Mathers. Does anyone know who Freddie Mathers married? He definitely went with someone in the Low Road. How embarrassing for me. Now LR, you have been warned of your snide remarks twice before, this is the 3rd one. I only take 3 so if there are any more I'll see you in person!!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. I am tempted to give your correct age away.

Ref. Winifred Mc.(See Beano I have given the lady her sunday name!!!!)

If I knew who Freddie Mathers was I might have been able to enlighten some of our less enlightened kitchen hands.

I know she was married to Jim Fraser and divorced.

Jim was a marriage relation to me. I say was , as he was gunned down at the border when returning from a dog show in Cork.

With regards to disclosure of my persona, I have made enquiries of the Freedom of Information act and been reliably informed that I may have a case for sueing.
Unfortunately I do not know where Sue lives.

PS:
I have been told, on good authority, that the oranges were very good in the market in Lisburn today.
Can anyone confirm this?

Ann and Low Roader,

Freddy Mathers came from the Warren Park area and in fact went with Winifred Mc. for about a year or so, that would have been around 56/57. I did know that she had married and divorced Jim Frazer, Jim was about 2 years behind me at Sloan St. P.E.S Incidentally his sister Edith was a PTQ cover girl. Just another little bit of trivia.

Beano

I remember Edith Fraser appearing at an EMB concert with another girl called Aileen Rooney or something similar, they did a song and dance act . If I remember correctly Jim Kennedy got to know her then and they went out together for a while. Didn't she have a brother who owned a garage in Grahman Gardens?
Happy Birthday Lowroader,
Donald

Edith Frazer became a very successful hairdresser. She married Brian Burke, also a hairdresser, and they own two prosperous salons, his in Castle Street Lisburn and hers on the swanky end of the Lisburn Road, near the King's Hall. They're both going strong.

On a serious note.
In an earlier post I said that Jim Fraser was killed at the border.

It was, in fact, Jim's cousin, John Presha, who was killed.
I apologise for the mistake and sincerely hope it did not cause any offence or distress.

Low Roader, I know you wouldn't have meant any offence to anyone and I'm sure none has been taken. You ARE human after all. By the way, I'm reading Jennie Bond's Reporting Royalty in the garden and it's excellent. I had to laugh when she was telling of the occasion when, live on the lunchtime news, instead of saying "Mr so and so, who fought apartheid, has died", she said, "Mr so and so has farted". SO, we're all human.

I believe that was Jim Frazer who used to live on the Ballynahinch Road opposite the entrance to the playing fields.