Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PROBLEMS OF HAVING A HEARING IMPAIRMENT

Recently, I experienced a wee worry about my health. Not being one to delay hearing either good or bad news, I visited my GP, accompanied by hubby. Upon telling him my symptoms he gave me a good examination, asked various questions and then said he thought it was connected with my gums and advised me to visit my dentist. Now, I visit my dentist every 3 months believe it or not and had, indeed, been there recently. However, feeling better that it was, indeed, a dental condition, and nothing morbid, I went down that very afternoon to my dentist, who, incidentally, is in Belfast. He also gave me a good examination, took x-rays and told me to come back on Friday for the results. Feeling unconcerned, I went back to my usual visits to the web completely happy. On the Friday, I went back to the dentist for the results. To my dismay, he said there was absolutely nothing wrong with my gums or teeth. He advised me to go back to the doctor, and I thought he looked sympathetically at me. At that news, my heart sank, because, by this time, I was convinced that it WAS a dental problem. I worried the whole weekend and on Monday morning I was lucky enough to get an appt with my GP. Back I goes, explained that my gums, etc. were fine so asked him what he thought the problem was. He again gave me a good examination and came to the conclusion that it was nothing serious. He said he was convinced there was a a simple explanation and not to worry. However, I DO worry and looked at him beseechingly. I suspect he took pity on me because he suggested, "Would you feel better if I sent you for a chest x-ray?". I nodded, and smiled. He smiled back, probably thinking "Hypochondriac". Anyway, I received the due chest x-ray appt, and feeling both relieved and anxious, I attended the hospital. I tried not to read the radiographer's face when she checked the x-ray. I know they cannot disclose anything to the patient - it has to be read by the radiologist. The result would be ready in a week. Trying to keep my mind busy in the meantime, when the week was up I rang the GPs surgery. I explained to the receptionist that I was ringing for the result of a recent chest x-ray, giving her my name and DOB. She came back, said that the x-ray result was back and then paused. My heart stopped momentarily. She said it was all medical jargon and that she didn't really understand it. In fact, she wsn't sure if it was ok or not. My heart quickening again, I asked her if the GP had seen it and signed it, which would mean that it was OK. (I used to be a medical secretary). Calling over a senior colleague, she conversed with her and they both then concluded that the x-ray was fine. I said, "Could you read a bit out to me?". I wanted to see if I could make anything out of this medical jargon myself. So, she read out what was the simplest language in the report. She had an English accent, and she is a lovely girl. As far as I was concerned she said, "Your x-ray shows insufficient lesions". I nervously thanked her and she reassured me that the x-ray WAS clear. I thought and thought about the "insufficient lesions " all that day and evening. I kept saying to myself, "Insufficient lesions" what does that mean. Have I only 10 lesions and I would need to have 20 before anyone would be concerned. Didn't like the sound of insufficient lesions. Had I 30 and I would require 40 to be hospitalised. Rang my daughter who lives around the corner and told her. She said, "Mum, ring the doctor again". Rang my daughter in England, who is a nurse and she said, "Mum, ring the doctor". My sons are useless so I didn't ask them and my husband does his best to reassure me at times like this but I know he hasn't a clue either. Next morning I rang the doctor at the time he takes patients' calls. Now I must add that he didn't know I had been on the phone the day before and had already been told about the lesions. I said, "Hello Dr so and so, I'm ringing about the result of my chest x-ray". He says, "Oh, yes, Ann, hold on a wee minute". He is really very nice. After a few seconds he come back to the phone, "Oh, yes", he says importantly, "The results are here and they're clear". I hesitated a minute and then tremulously I enquired, "But what about the insufficient lesions?". He said, "Pardon?". I repeated "What about the insufficient lesions". He seemed puzzled and referred back to the x-ray result. He then read out "INSIGNIFICANT LESIONS". He says, "In other words your x-ray is clear". I said "Thank God". I must start wearing a hearing aid. But then, what would Johnny Depp think if he saw it. I need help!!

Re: PROBLEMS OF HAVING A HEARING IMPAIRMENT

Ann,
I am really pleased for you.
Medical problems are always a worry. and you did the right thing.
On a lighter note your experience reminds me of the tale of the Belfast man (or man from Belfast) who was suffering considerable stomach pains so he went to see his doctor.
After some time in the surgery he re - appeared to his wife with a huge grin on his face.
He explained to her that he had been thoroughly examined and told to be careful what he ate as he had "the sympathy of Ulster" ( symtoms of an ulcer).
Oh well I did try.
I'll get me coat now.
Taxi for LR.

HiAnn,
Glad u got over ur doctors shock, also know Ann Heasley
and Beano, but Beano would would not know me, also knew his brother I think they had a sister who was a friend of
Frances Pitman who is a cousin of Anna McCaugherty (Tonagh) now in Austrial.
Glad you put the record straight about Fr. Joachim O.F.M. Cap.,
Katie Jun.

Hi again ann,

Forgot u knew Tommy Donnelly and how to spell Australia
and me not long left college.

Katie Jun

I think I know who you are Katie Stewart. Wasn't it me who told you about Lisburn Exiles. If you are the same person, we're in for plenty of laughs. I'll be put in the shade now definitely. What has Tommy Donnelly got to do with anything. Me no understand about Australia either. If you are the same Katie, it's been a long time since any of us were at college. If you're not, forgive me. It due to old age.

Re: Re: PROBLEMS OF HAVING A HEARING IMPAIRMENT

Hi Katie,

Yes you have the right person, my sister Elizabeth is still best friends with Frances. She married an English man, when they go over to Norn Irn they always stay with Frances and Barry. My youngest brother was Alan, I presume that is the one you meant, sorry to say that Alan died a number of years ago.... he was only 49.
Keep up the comments.

Beano

Re: Re: Re: PROBLEMS OF HAVING A HEARING IMPAIRMENT

Billy, So sorry to hear about Alan's death he was in my class at Largymore. Margaret

Re: Re: Re: PROBLEMS OF HAVING A HEARING IMPAIRMENT

Hi,
Frances was a neighbour of mine her hubby is called Barry, by the way he is from Wales I met ur sister Elizabeth many a time in the Pitman's house also your mother a very jolly person. Did u know Billy McCullough,
Ted Murphy, Martin Davies, Alex Elder, Wilma Higgins.
Some from the County Down some from Smithfield.
Katie

Re: Re: Re: Re: PROBLEMS OF HAVING A HEARING IMPAIRMENT

Hi Katie,

Yes I knew all the guys mentioned, Billy McCullagh was in our wedding party. How would I not know you when you obviously know a lot about the Co.Down. By the way I also knew Skippy Dowds very well.

Beano

Re: Re: Re: Re: PROBLEMS OF HAVING A HEARING IMPAIRMENT

Hi Margaret,

Many thanks for your sympathy regarding Alan, I did know you where in his class. How is your sister Maureen these days, did she marry a local lad.I think you had a younger sister as well. I am out of Lisburn 46 years and this Forum brings back a lot of old memories.
Give my regards to Tom and also Maureen.

Billy