Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How does your garden grow?

Lovely day again today, but I was so busy I couldn't enjoy it unfortunately. I have books to read but haven't the hours in the day. No, I CANNOT read in bed. Must read either outside on the deck or in the living room in peace and quiet. Did my shopping in Tescos with Rachel in tow. Met several people I knew and had yarns with them which took up quite a bit of time, me doing most of the talking (surprise, surprise). Came home loaded with groceries, noticed my baskets, etc. needed watering so before I put my goods away, I began watering the plants. They weren't dry because I water them every day but I am fussy about them. That's me, completely disorganised. Then, my wee dogs were looking for their treats so had to delve through all the bags to find them. Also bought the cat a special treat so gave her that too. THEN, wrote out birthday cards for people who have birthdays soon (No, LR, not you because I don't have your address). I actually have one written for my youngest brother who I hope is 60 because I got him a 60th birthday card. I'm only guessing. Donald, do you remember Damien Lavery? I DID put the frozen stuff away. I then phoned my sister in Limerick and THEN began to put the groceries away (I hate that task). THEN, because I'm having chicken curry and rice for dinner, I put on the chicken fillets, etc. Naan bread is heating on the grill and I also have veg because I love them. Rachel is stuffing into her curry and veg at the moment, my husband is polishing the car (why do men always have to polish cars?)I'm waiting my eldest, or is it oldest, son to come home for dinner and moi, I'm having a glass of white wine. I think I deserve it. That's my story.

Re: How does your garden grow?

Sorry about How does your garden grow. I got waylaid and realised when I read it that I really hadn't mentioned the garden. Well, my orange lilies are budding (true), my roses are blooming and smelling lovely, the red poppies are in full bloom, so papery and fragile, the purple pansies are smiling. There are various shoots revealing themselves. I have a habit (and I like it) of planting things in the garden and not remembering what they are until they come out. I think it's a nice surprise. Our clematis are out, London Pride in the rockery is out as well as blue Forget-me-Nots. All the alpines in the rockery are a healthy green. Azealas and Foxgloves show a lovely red and purple colour. I love this time of the year when the garden is still not quite in full bloom, because the best is yet to come. Hope that applies to everything.

Not from me

Our Garden

In our garden there is beauty,
both in form and colours rare,
richest soil with magic powers,
leafy stems and modest flowers
All repose so humbly there.

Sunbeams dance upon it gaily,
glistening raindrops caper too,
songbirds pause to praise this sector,
busy bees to cull the nectar
from the wells of brightest hue.

In our garden is enchantment,
when the night is calm and still,
as it breathes so fragrantly,
where it nestles peacefully,
on our front room window - sill.

Re: Re: How does your garden grow?

Lovely, Donald. Yes, a window sill can make a garden too.

Thats brilliant Donald. I think something special happens to us when we join Lisburn Exiles. We become poets! Go on try it all you who think they couldn't! I bet you have been bestowed with the gift!
Liz

Thank you all for the compliment, but I didn't write it. As George said, " I cannot tell a lie"

Nice one Donald, admire your honesty. The truth has only to b told once...... lovely poem too. Pat.

Only time I can get planting anything in the garden is is tubs r planters, Joe is Master there, thinks no one has green fingers only himself.
I am painting the trellis fence with green paint so at present I have more than green fingers.
Have to get a new P.C, mine is not suitable for Broadband so am behind with the Forum,my grandson visits every w/end & brings his state of the art laptop,if u touch anything even lightly a multitude of things appear r disappear. The screen swings about like a yo-yo. Patrick says "U can,t teach an old dog new tricks" I have wasted a day on this, hope u appreciate my efforts. Catching up with the week,s mail. Hello everyone. Pat

Yes, Pat, I see you're back. I said to my husband "Pat's back, she's going like a good'un". I think you are sufferent from withdrawal symptoms.

Ann, Who am I contradict you.? Right, as usual. Pat

Re: Re: Re: How does your garden grow?

CORRECT.