Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WEE HALL

Hi everyone,
could anybody tell me if the wee hall is still there it used to be across the street from the GPO. and one used to climb up the stairs to enter the billiard room.
John.

Re: WEE HALL

John
There is now a car park where the Wee hall once stood. A fellow from the Low Rd, John or Joe O`Kane who had a wee part time job cleaning windows was a committie member
Donald

Re: Re: WEE HALL

Thank you Donald,
Had a few great nights at the wee hall, an old friend haven't seen in 37 yrs used to sign me in now and again, Brendan Greenaway never did hear what happened to Brendan.
i think he was a bar man at Caldwells front bar for a while, then worked as a bookies clark in smithfield, can't remember the name of the bookie.

Cheers mate.
John.

I remember Brendan as well, he sometimes called into Mooneys . Must ask Gaby Kerr what became of him.
Donald

Looking in quickly before a day out with grandchildren. Greenaway, at school, very young, but I don't THINK it was Brendan. Anybody know of another?

Francis perhaps?

I heard of a Brendan Greenaway but didn't know him. He had a brother whose nickname was Curly and he (Curly) was in the Navy with Rimmel McMillan and Eddie Hughes. I saw Curly at his brother Frankie's funeral a few years ago. Frankie was married to my cousin Celia McKeown. Small world. Sorry I can't help about Brendan's whereabouts.

Eddie Hughes went to Hilden school with me, his Granny lived in Bridge St Hilden. He married Marget Dixon from Dunmurry, also a classmate. Last I heard of Eddie he was working for the post office. He must be around 63 now.
Donald

Thanks Donald that would e good.
John

Donald,

Would Eddie Hughes also have been known as "Bootsie", my youngest brother went into the Navy with an Eddie Hughes, it would be a bit of a coincidence if it wasn't the same person.

Beano

Beano
that's him, a big fellow, they moved to Tonagh, Sawel Place, like I said his granny lived at the bottom end of Bridge St Hilden. He used the swimming pool in Lisburn when he came home on leave, I will always remember him swimming with his watertight wrist watch. Didn't he have a sister who married Fergie McCaughtery from the Lowroad who sadly died very young?
Donald

Beano
I meant I thought Eddie,s sister died very young, not Fergie.
Donald

Y'all Not meaning to be disrespectful. Yes, Eddie Hughes' sister died young, but her husband Fergus died young also. I still see Eddie about (don't like to call him Bootsie now although that was what he got then). He always gives me a big hug and shouts out to all and sundry "This is my fancy woman". His wife died a few years ago too and he was devastated. Thinking about that, since his wife died, he doesn't grab and hug me anymore,but still has a yarn, so he probably still misses her.

Ann and Donald,

Thank you for the replies re "Bootsie" Hughes, he was a great friend of my brother Alan and even after they left the navy they were inseparable. Ann do me a big favour and give him my best regards, tell him it was Billy Hanna (not Beano) he will catch on who I am.

Beano

Beano, will do that next time I meet him.