Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
End of May in Lisburn

We've been having beautiful weather, especially in April. May has been nice too, particularly today. I took my ironing board out into the back garden this morning and ironed for about 2 hours in the sun. Watered my tomatoes in the greenhouse, plus my hanging baskets and tubs. My wee grandaughter was off today with a tummy bug so I have had her here all day. She's a Down's Syndrome child and is a joy. She's actually sleeping here tonight as she does quite often. My daughter and hubby are getting new carpets down in 3 bedrooms tomorrow so that means lifting all the carpets, furniture, etc. Talk about being disorganised. Rachel loves her food and is watching the Brit.Awards on TV. She was 21 on 28 April but her mental age is about 7. We love having her and she keeps our lives in perpective. As Big Brother says, "Rachel is the luckiest of us all". She is always happy, has no worries and is easily pleased. My daughter keeps Rachel up to date in all the latest fashions, unlike the old days. Rachel has her hair highlighted, her nails, which are beautfifully shaped A a lot of people in Lisburn know Rachel, don't look on her as a spectacle, but smile and talk to her, which she loves. PS Just a wee PS My daughter and family were on holiday earlier this year with Rachel and the other children. A German man kept staring at Rachel and she noticed this. She said to him "Do you seen enough?" as my daughter had taught her to say, because people DO stare. Anyway, he kept staring and then after about 4 days of this, his partner came over and said to my daugher, "Your little girl keeps saying something like "Snuff", what does that mean?". My daughter replied, "You stare too much and my daughter is saying "Do you see enough". They never stared after that. If you see a special needs child, please don't stare because they know, although they can't always say. Bless her. She keeps me sane.

Re: End of May in Lisburn

Ann,
You are lucky to have such good weather in April and May already. I was in Lisburn around May 21st last year for three days and I stayed at the North Circular House on the Circular Road. It was a fantastic B & B. The weather was dreadful though. It poured with rain and I got drenched a couple of times. But even the weather couldn't have put a damper on my trip home.

I'm sure your granddaughter is a real blessing to her family. You would think that most people today are more educated and sensitive to the differences of others. It's likely those people won't make that mistake again. Thelma

Ann, Thelma

Your sharing with us Ann about your wonderful grand daughter Rachel reminded me of last year's holiday. We wondered what to do for the evening one day, but found a brochure in the Linen Centre about Lisburn Youth Amateur Theatre. They were performing Joseph that night and we bought tickets. It was in the new complex by the Lagan, and what a wonderful theatre. The show was absolutely great and we loved it. Soon after it started I was aware of a child (one of the chorus) who was just a slight bit slower to do the actions than the others. As the show progressed, this continued and then I realised the boy was a Down's Syndrom child. This really touched my heart, and I wondered if they had allowed him to take part but just up to a certain point. But, no, he went right to the end of a long show, and it was all as natural as could be. I was so impressed by the cast and the producers, that this child was able to do the whole lot, as a little bit extra patience must have been involved, not to mention the usually hectic time factor.

It blessed my husband and I so much, still does when we think of it.

Liz

We've taught to say, if someone is staring, "If you stare long enough, I also do tricks."

Did I read right. SANE? U could have fooled me. Pat.

Pat, Have this one on me baby!! You know what it means and it rhymes with tart.

Re: Re: End of May in Lisburn

Ann Not like your babe!!!!!!!!Pat