Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lisburn Visit

I can honestly say that Lisburn is very much alive. I know a lot of changes have taken place, but that is progress.The market has expanded again and was full of an atmosphere that had been missing the last time I was there. I met a lot of old friends and sadly heard of the passing of others, after all I am now 70 and unfortunately expect that sort of thing. I was sorry to have missed "Ann", after reading all her contributions to the Forum, she must be some lady. As I have no family left in Lisburn, I stayed with friends in Carrickfergus,who incidentally love to shop in Lisburn, so on market day we went to Lisburn. Like Liz, my friend and I sat on a bench in the Market Square as our wives went off shopping, this was after we had been to the market and had lunch upstairs in Jeffers home bakery.I was telling him all about my teens and growing up in the "town". Since we came back to Canada I have been thinking of a wee bit of verse, I am no poet mind you........

I sat on a bench in the Market Square,
My friend from Carrick by my side.
I explained how Lisburn used to be,
It was,like I was his personal guide.

I told him about watching the test match
in the window of old JCs.
And how nearly every Sunday night
The girls we loved to tease.

I told him all the shops that closed
how some had changed their names,
how we behaved in the pictures,
and how Sticky Sloan was such a pain.

I told him all about "Hector",
in the market long ago.
How Bow St.then was two-way,
that made the traffic very slow.

Then along came our wives from a shopping spree,
They had a story, I could tell
So that ended the tour for my Carrick friend,
of the "Town I love so well"

Beano

Re: Lisburn Visit

well done beano"your a poet and you don,t know it" im really happy you enjoyed your trip into the past and also your visit to the place of our birth.as the saying goes "you can take the man out of lisburn but you cant take lisburn out of the man".
i to god willing would love to enjoy the experience you have had,maybe next year

beano
welcome back. glad you dad a great time
the poem is really good brought back a lot tom

Welcome back Beano.
I am very glad you enjoyed the visit home.
This is getting to be like poet's corner.
I feel quite illiterate.
I agree with you about Ann, she is like a breath of fresh air on the forum,but do not tell her, it just encourages her.

Hi Beano. Glad you got here and back safely. If you look back on some of the topics which were discussed while you were away, I DID mentin you. I said I kept looking for a "Canadian" looking man. Pity we didn't meet. Maybe it would have spoilt the illusion for both of us. Funny how you get a mental picture of someone. I know Low Roader so still think of him as a very good looking handsome young chap and that's the way I want it to remain. Dabbler I think of as a laid back, witty chap, good at "one liners", funny. I also remember Donald who is younger than me. All the rest I visualise and I think the name Beano suits you very well. Shopping day so have to go. Anyway, welcome back.

Re: Re: Lisburn Visit

Low Roader, all I can say to you is BOO , HISS. (Only joking)

Beano, forgot to congratulate you on your poem. You ARE a poet and you didn't know it. I enjoyed the verses especially about the wives coming back. We have that effect on men you know!! Why do men always have to hog all the seats in Lisburn town. When I'm coming struggling with bags (of fashion of course) and need to sit down to use the mobile, I can't get a seat for all the oul lads parked on their big behinds, always in the best seats facing the sun. I'll be in town today and on the warpath if I can't get a seat. You read it here first, remember.

Beano

I loved your poem, made me feel quite emotional, glad you had a good visit to Lisburn.
Liz

Hi Beano,
Related well to your poem. Did the same thing in the Mall last year but by myself as the wife did the shopping. Didn't recognise a soul, but then how would you after 48 years???. Did you notice the number of cyclists around riding around the mall, on the footpaths, through the traffic lights, etc etc Would'nt have been allowed in our day, the polis would have nabbed us. But then again its a great way to get around Lisburn nowadays. I confess, my brother in law's bike came in very useful. Used it a lot. Back there in Dec 07 but the roads might be a bit icey then. By the way, i'm off the bed soon cause its 9.40pm here in Tassie. Sean

Countydowner,

If you don't make it, the wife will leave welts.

Countydowner,

If you don't make it, the wife will leave welts. I know for certain she who "must be obeyed" is looking forward to an "Ormo Veda"

Beano

Re: Re: Re: Lisburn Visit

Thank you Sean,

I see what you mean about the bikes, it's the same here in Canada, the police are not interested.

I should like to take this opportunity to mention two very dear friends that I was able to link up with during my visit. One was a contributor to the Forum, Tom McKay and his wife Evelyn,they met up with Doreen and I at the Abbey Centre in Newtownabbey of all places for coffee.A very nostalgic meeting as I have known Tom for over 50 years.
The other friend was Daphne Sloan (McNeill) who I have known almost all my life. This has been a tragic year for Daphne she lost her only daughter Dona (Calow)to Cancer in March and as well her two elderly aunts just weeks before. We met at the market as arranged,then she came and spent an afternoon in Carrickfergus with us and our friends.Through all her problems she still manages her wonderful smile.
Thank you Daphne and Tom for some wonderful nostalgia.

Beano

A nostalgic poem Beano, keep writing, join the club. Nice to have u back. Joe & Pat.

Beano, I too enjoyed reading your nostalgic visit to Lisburn's Market Square.
Thelma

Hi Billy .

Many thanks for the kind words , it was a real buzz, and a treat to meet with Doreen and yourself and friends , although the time spent was short . You are a man of many talents , is the poetry coming out in later years , or have you been stricken with the prose after your visit to Old Norn Ireland . Keep it up . Best Wishes to Doreen and yourself .

Tommy & Evelyn