Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
people looking for people

Hi all, please check out this page as a fellow called Mccomb is looking info on his dad, many of you will know him and perhaps you could help. tks Fraser

Re: people looking for people

Fraser
I knew the family, but have little knowledge of boxing exploits. Dennis's brother Eric was present to see me given a bloody nose by Maurice Clark at the Quay. He was as surprised as I was, because, despite his height, weight and experience advantages, both young Eric and I would have expected me to win
If Dennis's son is looking in - HIYA!

Re: Re: people looking for people

I knew Maurice Clark but didn't know he was a boxer.

Ann
Maurice and his older brothers were all boxers. Did you know Maisy Clark? And/or Eileen?

Maurice Clark used to be "after me" when I was about 13. He would ride down the Low Road on a bicycle to see me. Don't know the others.

Ann
You missed your chance!

Fraser, you ******* my conscience. I have emailed Ronnie.

Does the monitor of this forum understand English? Why is the word "pricked" erased in my message to Fraser?
Sorry to be abrupt, but, despite my sense of humour, I would not debase the forum with any real vulgarity.

Was Maurice Clerk any relation to Aubery Clerk ? We worked together 40 years ago I remember a family Clerk living in the new houses around Delacerios Ave, his father was a very talented draughts player who cycled around Lisburn with a portable game looking for opponents , I think he was a war veteran and carried scars.
Donald

Donald
Maurice and his family were County Downers; Gregg Street, or thereabouts.
They drank in Bridge Street. I once saw Tommy Lewis, on the Union Bridge near Canal Street, pull the jacket over the head of one of Maurice's brothers, and kick him in the stomach.

Dabbler
The word ******* was not edited out by me and I am the only one with access to do so. If there was obscene language I would do so immediatly.
Regards Jim

Donald I think this was a different Clarke family, Aubery had a brother Noel he was a cabnit maker allas both of them are now dead but there is a brother Windsor I think he was involved with a golf course at the Maze, I remember the father was a park keeper in the Wallace Park years ago,
Regards Ted

Dabbler

It must be edited by the forum software as it filters obscene language. It must be very sensitive.

Jim

the clark family lived in graham st. robbie was the eldest,maurice then maisy.
there father worked in the shipyard and raced pigeons.
i think they had a cousin called desi clark

Jim
I have the utmost respect for your judgement, but surely it would be a rare and sensitive filter indeed to select the obscene rather than the obvious meaning of a word, even without the 'ed' on the end?

Dabbler,
I think your inference that your word was blocked manually is way off beam.
Automatic monitors do not "sense" anything.
They simply see a collection of letters and if that collection falls within their remit the word goes.

Remember that computers do not have brains purely a set of instruction from their human masters.

I was once told by a very clever computer designer that the day "computers control men" as opposed to "men control computers" arrives, the world will end.

PS: Sorry Anne that should have read "men/woman" in each case.

Re: Re: people looking for people?

Low Roader,
maybe if more people were as sensitive as computers we would have a pleasanter (to the ear) mode of speaking. Sick listening to foul language in everyday conversation. We all have our tempers, a lapse now & again is allowed sez she! Guilty Sir!

DABBLER,
Maybe "Spiked" would have been a better word? Pat

Re: Re: Re: people looking for people?

I kept looking for an answer to the original inquiry!!Maybe it's somewhere in the boxing???

Hello! Me again. Just wondered why the word appears the second time I used it? See above!
Maybe LR has given the answer?