Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
faces from the past

Dabbler, you were talking about faces from the past. Well, in town this morning I saw Edmund Gorman and his wife. Hadn't seem him for years. He has lost his mop of red hair. Dr McHugh was our old GP. He was a character, could tell you a tale about him (nothing scandalous) but not on the forum. Bye

Re: faces from the past

Ann, you have the better of me again, as I didn't know Edmund. In fact, I have never known anyone called Edmund, redheaded or otherwise, even in England.
Curiously, I do remember that our family surgery was in Antrim Street. I say curiously, because I don't remember going there, but I'm nearly sure we had Doctors McHugh, and McClelland. The Registrar of Births and Marriages around sixty/seventy years ago was McClague.

Re: Re: faces from the past

Dr McHugh's surgery was at the bottom of Railway Street. He and his brother Dr John ran it. Dr McHugh was the doctor for the Boxing Club. He was a desperate man but all his patients loved him. When he came to your house on a sick call, he would admire the pictures on the walls, pick up whatever book was being read, anything but examine the patient. I think it was a way of putting you at ease.

Ann
Railway Street is correct. How about the other bits? Did I get any right?

Hi Dabbler, I don't know about The Registrar. Not too sure about Dr McClelland. Was he somewhere about the bottom of Chapel Hill. Don't know but I'm sure someone else will.

Ann
I thought he was in the same surgery.

You're asking a right one here. I don't remember a Dr McClelland with Dr McHugh but I'm sure you're right.

Re: Re: Re: faces from the past

Doctor McClelland had a surgery out the Hillhall Road,he was joined in the 50s by Doctor Warden, Daphne McNeill was their receptionist, Daphne was to later marry Brendan Sloan from Dunmurrey, Brendan has since passed away. My thinking was that the McHugh brothers were the only ones in that practice.

Beano

Thanks Beano
I bow to your superior knowledge. Funny I should remember Dr McClelland's name, as Hillhall Road would have been out of our territory.

Re: Re: Re: Re: faces from the past

Hi Beano, you ARE right.

Better say Goodnight all.

Awwwwwwww!

The Brothers were referred to as Dr John and Doctor Pat, one of their offspring Michael went to Hilden School with me , he must be 63 now. Their surgery was facing the old Post Office. I remember Eddie Gorman, wasn't he an electrician in Hilden Mill. He had a sister Jean they lived in Grand St. Their was a mobile chip van which parked every Friday night outside their house and the other electricians and fitters used to take the mickey out of Eddie, saying " Hurry home Eddie your supper is at the front door waiting for you"! This tale was told to me by my uncle Ronnie
Donald

Hi All

I remember Dr McClelland very well, he delivered my sister in Well Lane. His surgery was at the bottom of Chapel Hill near where the entrance of the Top Hat used to be, now an Accountants. The last time I saw him was in 1975. I was waiting to cross the road, and a car broke the red light. I shook my fist at the car and realised it was Dr McClelland.

Liz

Re: Re: Re: Re: faces from the past

your almost right on beano although it was dr mc candless not mcclelland and i went to school with tony sloan at lisburn tech what a great guy also my dr at one time was dr pat mchugh what a guy him and his brother also a dr had there practice in railway st

Dabbler,

As pointed out by countydowner I was wrong about the doctor at Hillhall, it was Dr.McCandless not McClelland.Sorry about that, we are at an age where we shouldn't take our memories for granted.
Joe I might have been taller than you but never"superior".

Billy

Look at me diving in here so early, the minute the wife goes out the door!
Billy, though knowing you only for a matter of months as that tall(ish) lad in the reeling room, I KNEW you were a really nice person.
Thanks Liz, for bringing Dr McClelland nearer to 'home'.