Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A bit of Trivia,a poem,and history about Hillsborough.

" In the gloming "
This lovely song was written in 1876 by Annie Harrison.
It so happened that Annie had come from Sussex to live in Hillsborough around the time the local Squire
Lord Arthur Hill,MP for Co. Down, had lost his first wife Annie Crookes in illness after only one year of marriage.
In her visits to the Castle Miss Harrison comforted the Lord who was also Honorary Colonel of the 5th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles. And as his grief and the months passed a deep love grew between the widower and the Attractive young English woman.
But Lord Hill's family, one of the richest of the day, dissapproved of the relationship. And gossip reached Miss Harrison that she was not thought good enough to make a wife for so prominent a man.
Silently she packed her bags and caught the boat back to England, leaving instructions with her friends that Lord Hill was never to be given her address.

But Annie, a true romantic and nursing a broken heart wrote "In The Gloming " as she longed for her lost love. It was published and became a sitting-room party piece of the times.

The sad composition goes thus:

In the gloaming Oh my darling,
When the lights are dim and low,
And the quiet shadows falling
Softly come and softly go.
When the winds are sighing faintly
With a gentle lull and low,
Will you think of me and love me,
As you did once long ago?

In the gloaming Oh my darling,
Think not bitterly of me,
Though I passed away in silence,
Left you lonely, left you free.
For my heart was crushed with longing,
What had been could never be.
It was best to leave you thus dear,
Best for you and best for me.

But one day Lord Hill in his loneliness chanced to hear the song and realised that his beloved had written it. He traced her through the publishers,took the steamer to England to propose marriage on Annie's doorstep. Finally she accepted, they were married, travelled the world and raised a happy family.

Hillsborough Castle, Co.Down was bought by the Northern Ireland Goverment in 1933 to become the official residence of the Governor of Northern Ireland. It stands on nearly 100 acres of picturesque grounds where the Largest Rhododendron in the United Kingdom thrives.

The castle was built in 1740 by the first Marquess of Downshire whose family, the Hill's, were given a grant of land on conditions which included the maintenance of the fortress and a guard of soldiers.
The guard's bugler sounded the call to worship in the town square on Sunday mornings and a 24- strong regiment marched to Hillsborough Church of Ireland.

Lord Grey was the last Governor of Northern Ireland.
A predecessor was Lord Granville whose wife was a sister of The Queen Mother.

Ps. And I did not Inherit a Penny.

Lord Downshire.

Re: A bit of Trivia,a poem,and history about Hillsborough.

During the late sixties early seventies the last of the private army was Gerald Acheson, the last of a long line of Acheson family to serve at the castle. Gerald was working in Goodyear Craigavon at the same time as I and a few contributors to the forum.
Another blast from the past.

Re: Re: A bit of Trivia,a poem,and history about Hillsborough.

Sylvia from Hillsborough.

Thanks Lord for the bit of trivia.
I grew up around Hillsborough, but
never really knew the history of the
castle. Do you remember the garden
parties that were held on the beautiful
grounds? the hosts were Lord and Lady
Wakehurst. I also remember the royal
family visiting, I can't remember the
year, but I think it was the early 50's.
Although I'm a world away now, I still
think of Hillsborough as my home town.

Sylvia.

I also found this interesting.

Lord Downshire,

Thoroughly enjoyed your story of Annie and Lord Hill, I had heard of "The Gloaming" many years ago, now I know a lot more.
I have been in the Castle grounds many times, my brother lives in Park St.and a friend of his was head gardener for a number of years, his name escapes me at present,anyhow that is how we got to see round the place.

Beano

Re: Re: A bit of Trivia,a poem,and history about Hillsborough.

John,the Acheson family all were assoiated with the Old Guard and each blew the bugle at special occasions over the years.

Dabbler, I also find your postings good Craic.

Beano you sure have been getting around this past year, B.C. and now Norin Iron. I wish you and Doreen Bon Voyage. I am sure that you will be in Hillsborough to visit with your brother in Park St.

Sylvia,I attended many garden parties in the Borough. I also attended the Coronation Party for King George, held in the grounds of the Old Fort. If my memory is right that was 1947. Where have the years gone .
Lord Downshire.