Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A PLEA

Can I make a plea for all posters to please post in chronological order as it is becoming (for me, at least) very difficult to follow long threads.
If you want to reply to a specific point you can address the person you are replying to.
Old folk like me spend hours!!!!! scrolling up and down looking for posts, by which time I have lost the original thought as to what it was about.
Thank you very much for your indulgence.
Low Roader

Re: A PLEA

Here.. here..but just what exactly does that mean..the confusion could be horrific!

Hi Low Roader,

I couldn't agree with you more, as you know Doreen and I went out to Vancouver Island for three weeks, came back Friday and had a heck of a job sorting out some of the postings. Having said all that I still enjoyed all the "craic", also may I say a big welcome to all the new contributors. Keep on the posting.

Beano

I would like to be able to do that , if someone told me how.
Donald

Donald,
I do not know how to insert a reply out of sequence.
I just scroll to the last post before replying.
Perhaps one of the posters inserting posts out of date/time order could enlighten us less literate individuals as to how they manage it.

Re: Re: A PLEA

Beano et al,

Not sure how to insert a post in chronological order but when I ckeck after an absense, I switch to 'Board Style' and I can then view all posts after a particular date. Sean

I may be out of sequence too. However, does anyone remember Sticky Sloan in the Lisburn Picture House? He used to walk up and down the aisle with a torch. Then, if it became too noisy, all the house lights were switched on. Being the 4th in the family, I only had enough money for the "pit". I remember the toilets were stinking, but I'm still alive anyway. When I started to go with my husband, we swanked it to the balcony. A chocolate ic cream and a bottle of mineral. Such sweet delights.

LR
Glancing through old posts sometimes brings back to memory something upon which to comment. Latest posts always end up top of page; though I too am puzzled why they sometimes appear in the middle of older posts.

Dabbler,
I agree entirely. I often re - read old threads and it is quite confusing when they appear out of sequence. Hence the request.

Sticky Sloan used to stand down in the Pit in front of the screen and read " The Riot Act " when things got out of hand, then scratched his ear , a signal for the projectionist, incidently a English man whom I believe married one of the Porters from Hilden who later moved to Grand St, Lowroad to start the show.
Donald

Hi Donald, do you remember the 3 dimensional glasses in the pictures? You had to hand them back at the end of the film.. Riveting stuff, eh.

Donald, your mention of an Englishman reminds me how few were around Lisburn in my day. There was one working at the Liliput Laundry - Daphne would know, and, not quite the same thing{:-)}, a Welshman named Tom Babbs, or it may have been Bobbs, (with our accent, like), who lived with Irish wife Sadie in Linenhall Street next to John Watson's shop, in the forties/fifties.

Ann
That's a long time ago I only remember once getting them in Lisburn, somewhere else, Ritz? in Belfast you had to buy them.
Donald

Dabbler
Around Hilden and Lowroad English, Scots and Welsh were not quite so rare. Taffy Davis, Jock Dunsmore, Taffy Griffiths, Albert Townsend, Jim Singleton, but to mention a few, we even had a German lady, Alice Goodman and I remember my Grandfather telling me about a German Gent who worked in Hilden mill ,is it possible Wilkie was his name?
Donald

Donald, you would be in PC hot water today calling those people Taffys and Jocks. I didn't work at Hilden Mill, so didn't know Wilkie.

Dabbler
I didn,t know any other name for them, it was quite normal to greet them so when you met them and they never took offence.
Donald

Hi, there was a man called Hughie Wilkie worked in the mill as a labourer in the workshop shop,and as I recall he was the strongest guy in the mill.

Dabbler I don't remember an Englishman at Lilliput. I do remember Robin Kinney and his father, as well as a Mr. Sutherland. A Mr. Orr was in charge of the Drycleaning Plant. Some of the other names I honestly don't remember. Annie Hall (who married Harold Crowe) and a Doris Cowan. Other than that I'm afraid my memory is gone.

Daphne, thanks for reply. I know the feeling. I can't remember what day it is.