Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Memories

Those elusive thoughts
That come without bidding.
A scent a flower, a song
Returns the weary heart
To days of youthful dreams.

Re: Memories

Ah! Opposition in the poetry department! Nice one, amigo.
I tried drawing yesterday, as a diversion from sad thoughts of my brother's demise this time last year.

I lift my hand to draw a line
A rose, a leaf, a tree
But in the deep eye of my mind
I picture only thee.

Dabbler
Almost 5 years ago I joined an Art group, sponsored by the Company I work for ,looking for an " ersatz " to occupy the time and discovered an entirely new world. Something which in our childhood was classified as " ginny " to quote an old Lisburn saying, opened new dimensions and gives me food for thought. I started painting on silk and have now progressed to canvas. I still regard dining and drinking as the most treasured cultures created by mankind but art a very close second. Have a nice Sunday all.
Donald

Re: Re: Memories

Donald,

Congratulations on taking up Art, who knows maybe we will see an Irish/German showing sometime.

To Dabbler and Henpickerento,

I enjoyed both your little "ditties", a competition between you would be very interesting. I am always in awe of your verse Dabbler, and your contribution to this "Forum" is priceless. Mind you I wouldn't have envisaged the kind of vocabulary you now use, back in our Mill days.

Beano

Hi Donald

Any time there is dust sitting thick in my house, sun shining but I don't venture out the door, people around but I don't want to talk, telephone rings but I let it. What would I be doing? Silk painting, I even dream I am doing it, and wake up thinking AH! I could do that today! As I live a very busy life, I have to close all the doors sometimes and get lost in it!

Not today though, I am going up to London with my husband, a yearly treat, and tonight to see "The Sound of Music" at the Palladium. Have a good day yous'ns!

Liz

Liz
Enjoy your treat! You will know that 'Maria' was born in Lisburn.
Beano, did Sambo Hanna marry Teresa?
Donald, you are a master of all trades. I would have expected silkscreen painting to be more difficult than canvas.
Hen; don't know if you are male or female, but an old mate, Shaun, long, long ago used to tell me his da said something nonsensical like henpickerento, along with other stuff that would have done credit to Edward Lear.

Dabbler,

As you know Sambo was my father's youngest brother and as different to my father as chalk and cheese. He married Maureen Taggert who was a sister of Patsy, however, she may have been known as Teresa within her own family, in my eyes she was a gem and not a bit like Sam.

Beano

Dabbler, you're a well educated person. Wonder who you are? Would love to know. Byeee

Beano: Thanks. I may be getting in a muddle in my dotage. I knew Sambo and Teresa around about the same time, when I was a young teenager. If Maureen did not work in Stewarts, then she was not Teresa, if that's not too 'Irish' for you.
Ann:
Your comments are highly flattering. I am not well educated, though I would admit to being fairly well-read. I have many, repeat, many, relatives still in the old town. As I have lived here in England, entirely isolated from them for most of my life, I believe they would not wish publicity, so, in general, I refer to them on this forum only in a manner which does not identify them. A bit strange, I know, but... I say in general, because I have at times, in sheer exuberance, mentioned the area where I was reared, and just about every neighbour I remember. Were you born and reared around Hilden? I almost picked up courage to email you, but that made me feel like a naughty boy.

Jim:
Great photo of Dennis McComb, brother of Eric. I remember both, younger of whom was a friend of my brother. I do not know their boxing records, but I'm sure they will be recognised by any old amateur boxing fans looking in. I also remember their two sisters, older brother, their mother, and father.

Hi Dabbler. I'm sure I'm out of sequence again but remember I'm a new-comer to this site. I only saw your reply to my question of who you are mins ago. Mind you, I still don't know. You were asking where I lived. Well, I lived in Huguenot Drive, facing the overfalls more or less. Our neighbours were the Ferris's, Mr and Mrs Graham, Eva Anderson and Family and Loretta Graham. Also, Vicky Allan and family and the Tooles. Vicky Allan used to shout over at me when I was passing his house on my way home from work. I would have been in 3 or 4 inch stilletos and all dressed. He would say, "You should be a model". I should add that Vicky was fond of a drink so I never took him too seriously. Come to think of it, no-one ever told me that again!!!! Have put a couple of poems on the poetry corner so you can give me your opinion. Thanks.

Ann
I emailed Pat and Joe a week or so ago, asking abou Joe Lavery. My email address contained my name.
To date, your poems have not appeared on the poems/stories page, but I see someone has kindly added my Goodbye To My Brother.
Did you know Teresa McManus, who would have been around your age, and went to the convent?
That one about you being a model - I bet your husband told you the same many times.

Liz
Hope you had a good visit to London. My wife and I were up there a week or two ago at The Emirates Stadium for the Arsenal v. Bolton match. I met Kevin Phillips of WBA in a cafe in Soho, and told him we, (Arsenal), could do with his goal scoring abilities. He was in Soho supporting his wife who was in tha WAGS TV show in Marshall Street.

Ann/ Eithne
I also thought you were a cracker, glad to hear you are well and happily married.
We are also married forty three years and no regrets.
You and Teresa Mc Manus were good friends if my memory serves me right.

Re: Re: Re: Memories

Thanks Beano. If one enjoys the "Ditty" then it is worthwhile. Nice to b appreciated. Henpickerento.

WELL John and Dabbler, these compliments are going to my head at only 10.20 am. I don't think I could model for size zero although I'm not that bad. Yes, I did know Teresa McManus, although it was her sister Alice that I chummed with. Unfortunately, Alice died about a year ago. They moved to England donkeys years ago. Teresa is alive and well and keeps in touch with Jim Dunsmore. Then Jim gives me brother Leonard the news and he passes it on to me. Beautiful day here again. Just in from power hosing the patio. Aren't we getting awfully swanky? Years ago, everyone sat on their steps catching a few rays. Now we all have decks, patios, lawns - what!! Remember the women on their knees scrubbing a half moon around their doors? Pure white. Better go and do some more work. Bye

Ann, John, I remember Teresa's sister, two brothers, and father. Never knew the mother. I knew that Teresa moved to England yonks ago. Shaun Hamilton told me, and that was over forty years ago when I last saw him.
John, NO regrets - not just a wee thought now and again?

Dabbler, why don't you e mail me with your name? Don't know if I would know you or not.

John, are John McA who married a girl called Jackson. Did you live in Jersey Ave for a time. If you are, I remember you and your wife playing tennis in the drive. We lived just round the corner in Palmer Avenue. Your wife was a lovely girl. Then you went away - if it was you, then obviously Australia. Tasmania sounds so exotic. Is that where Errol Flynn came from? Before your time? Well, me too. I fancy Johnny Depp now. My husband knows as I have 3 calendars of him plastered round the house.

Ann, thought provoking poetry. You ooze emotion.
But we never met. On leaving school at fourteen, I was a lowly wee mill worker, with the associated blackheads and poverty.