Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Limbus

Donald, Fr. Lynn was an American priest, very laid back & cool. U could,nt hear a word he said on the pulpit he talked that low. H always went on a bicycle, doubt if it was him cuffing the young lad. That was normal in those days, children were seen & not heard, it may not have been always right but it was the sign of the then times. Fr. Breen maybe, he was younger & very into using the Big Hall for the young people to spend their evenings instead of on the "Fly Side" as Henpickerento says. Fr. Breen did a lot for the young people organising sports, dances etc. Pat Burns.

Re: Limbus

Hallo Pat
And that give him the right to cuff and abuse a young boy (incidentally it was me)? John McArdle who was standing next to me received also a swipe although he wasn’t guilty of anything and was also thrown out.
For me it, s the most natural thing in the world to be attracted to and seek contact with the opposite sex and still don’t find anything wrong with the "Fly side ". (It says somewhere “ Go ye forth and multiply „) Where else then in Lisburn or indeed in Northern Ireland could young people meet and find contact with members of the opposite sex and religion then? It wasn’t forbidden for non-Catholics to visit St Joseph’s hall, but very few did and apart from Hilden school there were very few mixed schools in and around Lisburn. I’m sure you will agree that only through contact with other groups (be it sex, race or religion) can hatred, suspicion or dislike be conquered
Donald

Re: Re: Limbus

Hello Donald. I agree with you. No need for abuse by anyone, but in those days they got away with it. I remember your Aunt Kathleen and Aunt Nellie and your brother Eamon. Good old days.

Hi Donald, I don't even know where you are but I remember you. You probably don't remember me as I am a bit older than you. I remember getting on to the ice cream van when it stopped outside Leamington and getting a ride down to Hilden. Then, after about 15 mins. we hitched a ride back to the Low Road. Great fun on a Friday night. Do you remember Hallowe'en nights. Foggy, toffee apples, false faces, going round the houses for treats. Great times, playing kiss 'n' catch. We used to run for our lives from Tommy Roberts (Leamington) although it was all good, clean fun.

Hallo Ann ?
Welcome to the forum.
If you know my Aunts and brother then you must know me. Give me a tip, also a past pupil from Hilden school?
Did you live in Hilden by any chance? Back row ,next to the Spences?
Donald

Hello Donald. Of course, I remember you. You had dark hair, that's all I remember. I think you were tall. I remember you and Eamon. Good old days, eh? Do you remember me? Eithne Lavery, as I was then.

Hi Eithne,
of course I remember you, didn't we all go to see " Annie get your gun"? with our Aunts in the Regal at Balmoral one Saturday about 55 years ago, I think Will Keery was also there with his Aunt Betty. Your brother Joe sat beside me for a while in Hilden school. Malachy I remember also, a very athletic young man who used to run for the Belfast train every morning. He was a trainer or instructor in the EMB boys club. Your Dad was a very quiet spoken man if I remember correctly
Donald

Hi Donald, I'm glad you remember me. Haven't changed a bit!!!!!!! Can't remember going to see Annie get your Gun, although have watched and enjoyed it many times since.

Hi Donald, yes, my father was a wee, quiet, well spoken man. Me ma and me dad worked hard to educate us. Me ma worked in the mill as a reeler and me da worked in the barracks. Never wanted anything for themselves but made sure we were all provided for. Hope we turned out as they would have wanted.

Hello Ann

Nice to hear from you. Since you knew Donald in the past, my brother Will Thompson was at Hilden school with him. I wonder if you remembered him, deceased now. Also my lovely aunt Betty Thompson, they lived in Richardson's Row?

Liz

Liz / Ann

Sorry but I meant Will Thompson not Will Keery

Ann
You mentioned Tommy Roberts in your posting , last I heard of him he was living in East Down View ,hadn,t been keeping too well his sister told me,
Donald

Hello Eithne/Ann,
Welcome to the forum.
I have to be honest and say I do not remember you although I certainly remember Leonard and Malachy.
I had the privilege of being at school with Malachy and playing in the football team at Hilden.
I well remember he and I getting a right walloping from Mr Woodend as neither of us could spell "guard".
I spent many years in Malachy's company even after our school days.He, Oliver McKendry and my older brother spent many years at the Boys Club in the EMB.
Regards,
Low Roader

Hi Donald Think we r getting a bit mixed up in our replys. I was referring to Limbo not the Fly Side. Indeed when we were young (blessed be the days) all my boy friends were of the other religion & they were all gentlemen. I think of them fondly to this day. We r all attracted to the opposite. No harm done. Lisburn then was a quiet sedate town, everyone knew everyone else, our parents could tell u breed, seed & generation of everyone living there. I think the clergy thought like todays feminists that the "Fly-side" was,nt ladylike. The Girls Club & Boy's Club took it,s place for us. Matter of opinion who's right. We will not fall out over it, in the past. Pat

There's some funny oul stuff comin' out here under 'Limbus', but it's all good craic.
Ann, did you know Isabel Corken? She would have been at Hilden around your time.
Pat, I think Father Lynn was Canadian??

Was she related to Jean or Tommy Corken?
Donald

Donald, you knew them all. Yes, sister. And to Doris, and to older Kevin and oldest May.

Hi Liz, sorry I didn't know your brother or aunt Betty.

Hi Donald. Haven't seen Tommy Roberts for about 3 years. He's still on the go as far as I'm aware. I think he lives in Spruce Street, not too sure. Ethel (his sister) was telling me that she and Tommy call in every morning with Len Allen. (remember him?). Len has some sort of disability so the "good neighbours" fashion hasn't gone away here.

Come on Low Roader, you'll have to tell me who you are. I've been thinking of all the friends who Malachy went about with, but can't come up with anyone who is abroad. How about a clue?

Dabbler, could you change this heading from Limbus to something else as I'm fed up with it too. Yes, I did know Isabel Corkin, also Doris, Tommy, Kevin and Jean. I didn't go to Hilden School. I attended the Convent School in Seymour Street. Kevin's wife died some years ago, as did Tommy's but they're well and see them from time to time. Can't avoid anyone in Lsburn!!!!

Daabler, I stand corrected. Is your initals J.B.? I think I read one of your poems that was sent to me by someone u may know, Rose Cairns, years ago. It was about returning to Hill St & remembering all the old neighbours. Someone was asking about Sally Lunn, she married & they left for Australia, I think the whole family went long, long ago.
P.S. If u r J.B. many's the night u were in Cairns' house with us, Joe thinks u may b J.B. If so ur secret is safe with us.

Pat, in reply to your comment on this page, dated April 30, I emailed you and your hubby, asking if Joe Lavery was a friend of my brother. My email address told you my name, which you are welcome to share with Ann/Enya, whom I must congratulate on being married nearly as long as myself. What a sentence!