Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bavarian Beer Day

On 23 April 1516 ( today 491 years ago ) the Bavarian Dukes, Wilhelm IV and his brother Ludwig X passed an Law, known as the Bavarian Law of purity, which regulated that only hops, water and grain could be used to brew beer in Bavaria. BRAVO! So to celebrate the occasion I may just cycle to my local Biergarten later this afternoon and drink a Litre.
Donald

Re: Bavarian Beer Day

Donald
You obviously have a very understanding wife.

Mind don't fall off your bike Donald, or you might be needing a Priest!

Liz

For what then?

And as for that Liz, I'm not sure about all the preachin' stuff, but I reckon she's good for the craic!

As for you, Donald, I think this might be up your street:

There were these two priests who rode bikes to church every Sunday. Well one day one of the priests showed up to work without his bike. The other priest asked where his bike was so the first priest said, "I don't know, but I think it got stolen!"

The other priest said, "Well what you do is read off the Ten Commandments, and when you get to "Thou shall not steal" someone will confess to the crime."

The next time the two saw each other the priest had his bicycle back. "I see you got your bike back! Did you do what I said?" the one priest said.

The other said, "Well kind of, when I was reading the commandments and I got to Thou Shall Not Commit Adultery, I seemed to remember where I had left it."

For last rites Donald. What! You wouldn't refuse them would you?

Liz

To be honest Liz, probably not

Hi Donald

Have you ever drunk , Lowenbrau , i think that is the spelling .I was on holiday when i was a bit younger
and i had a large Tankard , which started off like lemonade in the warm sunny day , thirst quencher .When i got to the bottom my cheek's turned rosy , and i was very happy . I think it was my first impression of being tipsy .

All the best

Tommy .

Tommy
LÖWENBRÄU, there are umlauts over the O and A to soften the word. = LOEWENBRAEU meaning Lions brew, one of the biggest breweries in Munich
http://www.loewenbraeukeller.com/en/history.html
about 1,5 million hectolitres I think. Incidentally they have amalgamated with a Belgium brewery and are moving to my neighbourhood as they need more capacity. ( How convenient ) They must stay within the Munich boundaries otherwise they cannot have a tent at the Oktoberfest. this is a very strict rule and allows no exceptions. The Bavarian Prince who owns the Kaltenberg brewery just outside Munich and whose ancestors founded the Oktoberfest is not allowed to sell beer there.
I, as do most people who live in Munich prefer the Augustiner beer, the smallest of the 6 Munich breweries ( together about 6 million HL ), founded by Monks in the 1,500s and still going.
Incidentally the biggest brewery in Germany, Öettinger, brew 6,1 Million HL and sell it for between €3 and €6 for 10 liters ( about 19 pints ) and still make a profit.
Donald

Hi Donald .
Many thank's for the educational info. Change of subject do you still have the skill's you learnt in my old firm MACKIES . By the way were was boystown in Mackies .
ALL THE BEST .
Tommy

Boystown were 2 departments in Mackies, A Dept and next door SA Dept where most of the apprentices started and worked there for 2 years, acquiring basic skills before moving on to other divisions. It was called after the film starring Micky Rooney with the same name.
Donald