Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Memories of a summer at Graceys

Bright sunlight. Row upon row of bushes. Big lake, pink flamingos. Raspberry picking, then inside, fruit ladled unto a moving conveyor- Bobby Kelly, a short, very muscular, curly haired smiling man, who had been in the Navy - gave me a little can of hot chicken soup. A guy with a severe limp who sang and smiled a lot. Sixteen year old Bobby Sherlow, brothers Matt and Eric Patton, Hack McAllister, plus girls and women at whom I was frightened to look.

Re: Memories of a summer at Graceys

Dabbler
Did you have the pleasure to work at Graceys under my neighbour Mrs Leathem from Hilden? She was a supervisor and I heard a very hard task master ( mistress ? ). Her husband David was a time clerk in Mackies.
I remember plucking raspberries for Graceys around Hillhall over 50 years ago , it was very hard work and we were paid a pittance most of which we had to hand over at home.
Good old days!
Donald

I don't really remember the names of those in charge, Donald, but I agree it was a miserly wage.
I wonder if the flamingos are still there?

My Mum and aunts worked in Graceys and also my Dad. Agnes, Maisie,and Hilda Mercer and Keery Irvine

Re: Re: Memories of a summer at Graceys

I am the other Margaret I have worked out who you are. Do you know who I am. I knew all you Aunts and cousins. Margaret [:)

no I haven't worked out. I have added my email address.

Did the Bobby Shirlow you are talking about become a carpenter and joiner

Re: Re: Memories of a summer at Graceys

Did the Bobby Shirlow you are talking about marry Cora Reid from Bachlors Walk and is he the brother of Albert ? If it is he is still about Lisburn. I know he worked in Hilden Mill.

Margaret, I only knew Bobby Shirlow for those few weeks at Graceys in the summer of long ago. He would not remember me unless he reads this. Here is the previously untold story behind my memory of him:
Bobby was a big, well-built extrovert lad, younger than I, but physically, (and probably mentally), far superior, and he jumped to my aid when I was wrestled and pinned to the ground by a much bigger man in his twenties, perhaps older, who was trying to 'have fun' by undoing my flies. This was on Graceys grounds, out in the open in front of several young men. The man, whose name I have forgotten, but whose face I remember, then turned on my young 'friend'.
Matt Patton, a Lisburn boxer, pushed both of them into a small shed; it may have been a loo; where he held the doors for several minutes till they punched themselves out. The sixteen-year-old emerged looking, or so I thought, triumphant. I was never bothered again. Embarrassed, I thanked him, and he just shrugged. I was brave enough to fight my own battles, but would have had no chance whatsoever against the man.

Re: Re: Re: Memories of a summer at Graceys

The Bobby Shirlow I knew worked for Best Bros they had a workshop near the old quay club I served my apprenticeship under him.

Same place, same week or two in same summer:
A pretty, ginger-haired tennis playing teenager, (Lord, I met very few of those), asked me to ask Bobby Shirlow a question in French. I had no idea what the question was, as I was repeating to him exactly what she said, without understanding it. I have since learned that it was very slightly naughty, and in his disapproving reply, he called her a little girl. Lucky man - I was just pleased she spoke to me.

And I think that Kelly guy's first name was Patsy, not Bobby. Like you cared

Sad to say some of you lot did.nt know how to make money picking rasberries at Graceys.
The way to do it was to put a layer of berries in the bottom of the can then add a layer of soil mixed with berries to add colour.
Fill the tin to the brim with good sized berries and proceed to have them weighed, at the end of the day you had enough for a treat at the wee shop across from the school and maybe a few Gallaghers Blues to go with it.
Please don't tell anone as old Issac Stevenson or Sam Prentice might stop you from getting a start

No wonder I didn't like their jam!

Dabbler
I agree but it was good for attracting wasps, I think it was also used in strengthing cement.