Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Changing Time 3rd Episode

In those days of the 30's, 40's ,@ 50's you made do by hand me downs and the like. Saving constantly and reusing almost everything for one thing or another. Jam jars were washed out and scalded and home made preserves and jams were put in them, other such jars could be returned for a penny or half penny, lemonade bottles likewise was a good source of pocket money when returned empty. [people of today should take a lesson and save the land fill sites from excess waste].!!!! Your school lunch was wrapped in paper and a drink for lunch was most likely in a washed out sauce bottle and the stopper was a wrapped paper plug for the stopper. The news paper was used for many things. After the floor was washed the paper was spread out on the wet floor to help dry it and also helped to warm cold feet, or layers of newspapers on top of the wire spring's below the mattress of a bed.
Also layers of paper cut in shape and fitted in shoes, boots and wellies for insoles. News paper was the fore runner for toilet paper, also used in all households to light the fire. Necessity was the mother of resourcefulness and everything was put to a good use. The wash tub and bath water was used to keep the slugs of the cabbage . Most homes had a shoemakers last and repairs were made to worn out toe and heels on shoes and boots by installing iron tip protectors to them. Mens shirt collars would be turned when they got freyed if they were not the detachable collar with a stud. Hot water bottle to warm the bed on a cold winter night. The large flour bags that the bulk flour came in were used for all sorts of things, like table cloths,pillow cases, bed sheets,aprons," baby nappies", ideal absorbers for both ends.!!!

People of today may say it was being thrifty to a fault, or as the saying goes,"she could live under a hen". or another one was, could live in one ear and rent out the other one.!!!
Just some of the things that have come to my mind and experienced in days long gone by.

To be continued. By an Exile.

Re: A Changing Time 3rd Episode

It wasn't unknown for enterprising workers in Hilden or Stewart,s mill to " borrow " rolls of toilet paper and also sole and heel their boots with the flat leather drive belts used to transfer power from the main drive shaft to the various machines. In Mackies in the early sixties upon visiting the half wall toilets you were issued, after having stated your check in clock number three or four sheets of toilet paper by the sh+t house clerk who noted the entry time in his book and allowed you the 7 minutes to complete the business. Thus the expression when someone went to the toilet he said I,m off to the "minutes"
Donald

I experienced all of those things mentioned by 'The Exile', apart from the unusual nappies. I did actually change the nappies of younger siblings, but I'm certain they really were nappies.
My brothers and sisters would not remember, but my mother used to wear a shawl. I don't remember anybody in Lisburn wearing one after the forties.
But, I'm getting old, so I could be wrong, and maybe they even had a revival?

I used to fetch snuff in a paper 'poke' for an old neighbour called John Abbott, who would be about one hundred and thirty five years old now.

I remember in the late fifties an old lady on the Lowroad wearing one, the name Mary Manett , a dressmaker comes to mind , perhaps Lowroader or Fraser can confirm this.
Donald

Hi Donald.

I thank you for bringing back some happy memories of Mackies. An experience i will never forget . I was 17 yrs in the Transport Dept , I enjoyed it , if you could say that about work , but there was all way's some hing different every day . As you say a visit to the toilet was an experience , other than physical. To be asked as you say check no , and handed portion's of toilet paper, timed , and then to walk along a line of half door's , with head's and feet showing , and sometime's the odd new's paper being read, unbelieveable . Do you remember the brass check's and silver for wages . I still have my brass check . Our toilet attendant was nicknamed (One Wing ),
his name was John , and the poor man had only one arm , but he still was quite strict at his job , he also did gate keeper . Did you ever have to run down the street , and just made in through the gate , and throw the brass check in the box before it was lifted away , and if being late were quartered , loosing a quarter of an hour out of wages . I used to hear my mother talking about the same thing at Barbour's Mill
and i did not think i would be doing the same thing myself in later life .
All the best .
Tommy .

Hi Tommy
3416 was my first check number in Mackies Boy,s Town ( A Dept ), Jack Brackenridge was the foreman. Later I moved to Jute Drawing , Harry McNeilly was in charge, the Glentoran boss. I remember the silver checks also for to be exchanged for you wage packet. Before that, I was told by the old hands, the wages were paid out in a tin box instead of a transparent wage envelope, hence the song " They put my money in a wee tin box, dooda, dooda! " But that was even before my time
Donald