Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Easter Tuesday

Where is everybody? The holidays were great, beautiful weather, unusual for this time of year. "Beware of April weather" said on old man to us. He gave us a cure for bronchitis, flu, all ailments caught in April.... Carrageen Moss, made into a blamange with milk r water, it is a natural antibiotic for all stomach trouble too. I bought it in the Health food store, but abroad any Irish outlet should have it. The directions r on the box. Add flavouring of choice & u may need to dilute it to taste. Nice with jelly too. An old Clare cure from around these parts. Hope it works for me for I have one of those oldfashioned stomach aches we used to have when we were young & ate sour apples. "Brought on by "foreign muck" as my Mother used to say. Not so, diverticulitis is the culprit after rich food at Easter.Need the craic to forget about it. Pat Burns.

Re: Easter Tuesday

Not sure if Pat is Joe or Patsy, but I hope your stomach ache is gone.
I drove the grandchildren back to the station this morning, and the silence is now deafening. I was brought up in a house full of children and noise. I treasure the peace and quiet, but once I get used to having littluns around again, I don't half miss them.
Joe, you would remember oul Father McAuley going round with his thick knobbly walking stick? My mother said it was to chase us to school, if we were mitching. Nothtat I would ever do such a thing.
There you used to be a bit of woodland up behind the Salvation Army Hall in the Chapel Hill end of the Dublin Road, leading towards the Boy's school. We sometimes went in there, but got chased by the Chapel Hill gang with sticks and stones. Philip Lavery and Philip Mullholland are two names I recall. Young Mullholland was a thickset lad whose nose was often running snot, but I wouldn't have dared mention it.

Easter Brrrrrrr, so cold here. snow, frost -3 really poor weather, will be glad to feel the heat again, Wed. night last night for mixed darts, a lot of N.I. folk in the wee league. No fear of the eggs melting. Well I shall be back for the last time in May to tour Ireland and bid my farewells to the aul sod. Rather live on my memories than see the town as it is, to much hassle in the wee hours.ps mixed darts is men & women. lol

Re: Re: Easter Tuesday

Hi Frazer Sorry to hear your experencing a cold spell today we have had the warmest day of the year tell me do they serve pigs feet and tripe at the darts over there ?I was sad to read this is going to be your last visit home I do hope you change your mind the old town dosent look to bad also there is a fair bit of prosperty about the political scene in the short term looks promising most things look pretty positive I suppose you could say we are on a high at the moment, anyhow I do hope your May visit is a great one I wish you and the wife a great holiday.
Regards Ted

Nice to know u had an enjoyable time with the grandchildren, wish we could see our (the young ones in Canada) more often, they r only young once. We were like yourself ,always a housefull at home, never a dull moment, plenty of company. Once we were all at the table waiting for the teapot coming, to start, when a wee hand appeared from underneath & grabbed a piece of currant bread, every man for himself after that, until the Ma gave us a crack round the ear. Joe is me, Pat r Patsy is my wife. She says thanks for the good wishes, the Carrageen Moss is working. About Father mc Auley, he was a terror for chasing us down the Chapel at Mass, once I was late & kneeling on one knee at the Consecration when he came behind me, kicked the other leg & growled"Down on both of them boy" No nonsense then. Joe

Pity u weren't over now Fraser,April was never so warm r sunny this years. Never say never, tho, we have said many times "This is the last time" keep going while u can, Ireland is beautiful (especially in the sun) & no wild animals, plenty of wild people but.....We will all b a long time in the old rocking chair, visit the Low Road surely u will meet some old friend there?

Re: Re: Re: Easter Tuesday

Hi Patsy, I know Ireland is beautiful as I see it every day in my wife of 46 years, so why go there as I have it at home in Canada.?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Easter Tuesday

Hi Fraser. U never lost it. Joe is always saying the same to me.

Patsy.

Hillsborough in spring

Lord Downshire and all your Hillsborough exiles

Hillsborough is looking beautiful. On a visit just before Easter we went there. Lunch in the Plough, as lovely as ever and a walk around the lake. Trees all bursting forth into greenery, little daisies peeping up everywhere, and the first of the wild rhododrendruns breaking out.

I had a chat to the gate keeper of the castle. He told me the castle grounds held the biggest rhododrendrun in the world. But he wouldn't let me in to see it. He did say the grounds are open during the summer.

I looked longingly at the ice cream parlour (we don't have such things where I live) but we had to give that a miss this time.

I did not see a single bluebell.
Liz[Smile)

Re: Easter Tuesday and beyond

Bills all paid; money in the bank; chores (nearly) all done; garden edges brimming with bluebells. Temperature hasn't dropped below 17 during the day for the past fortnight. My mammy would have loved it!

Myself, back from a wee trip on the aul bike,stopped in to quench my druth at a wee beer garden, opened the letterbox and my pay cheque in there just like in the last 5 years, pinched myself to make sure I,m not dreaming. Deutschland alles OK
Donald

Re: Hillsborough in spring

Liz, you made a good choice in the Plough as where to eat.
Sure and Be Gorra Hillsborough has got to be one of the nicest places to visit, and a walk around the park dam, view the swans and ducks,and a look at the old Fort.
Now you have a good excuse for a return visit to view the gardens and Castle grounds in summer. Dont forget also to have a Slider or a Poke .The Bluebells should be out by now.

Lord Downshire.