Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
jut sayin

i onli moved away from lisburn i gota say i do miss it !!!

Re: jut sayin

Wait till u have been away 30years. The 1st. 10 r the worst. Then u will meet all the Lisburn exiles no matter where u go.

Re: Re: jut sayin

I've been away 37 years this year and I still miss Lisburn and all my old neighbours.

Thelma

Re: Re: Re: jut sayin

Just away 25 years and thinking of moving back

Murphy, we have just been over, and the house prices are booming. Some places have doubled in a year, and still going up. So don't wait too long if you really are thinking of moving. They say a lot of people from outside are buying and investing there. Someone in the Lambeg area told me, that someone called at the doors of people in her street, asking if they would sell. As the back gardens were very large, they wanted to make a new delevopment! She was quite worried!

Liz

Good advise Liz house prices are shocking! HE houses are selling for £180K +++++
Madness

One of the end houses in East Down View is on the market for 275K The other Margatet

Margaret

I wish something could be done to keep the speculators out cause that's all they are. I feel sorry for the young folk who will be priced out of the market - and they thought things were better in N.I. now!

Liz

Austria have solved the problem by not allowing non Austrians to buy property.
Donald

Donald, as a Brit/Irishman living in Germany, do you think the Austrian idea is a good one, and if so, should it be only Irish, Northern Irish, or British allowed to buy?

Donald,
Another Austrian once had an idea like that, remember????? Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Patsy & Joe Burns.

Point taken, only do you find it correct that speculators drive the prices up and the locals who work, live, bring up children and contribute to the economy are driven out of the market? Granted some people who have property for sale there find this good, but it cannot be correct that houses are bought, left vacant with the outlook in a few months or years to resell with a large profit and if anyone takes the time to read the Belfast Telegraph on the Internet can read that an official survey states over 15,000 families are officially homeless and another 33,000 are on the waiting list for state owned housing!!!

Correction to my last statistic, the number of homeless families has risen bs 15%, not 15,000.
Donald

Fellow exiles

They say as part of the peace deal that millions is going to be poured into NI by the government. That's great but it is part of the grab to get what's going by the developers and entrepreneurs. As always the poor will stay poor and struggle along hoping to get a council house one day.

On our visit last summer, my husband asked for and got an appointment with the local MP, who has an office in Castle St. Now why don't you exiles make your point by doing that, or indeed he is reachable though the home page of the exiles.

Liz

Liz,
It is written I think somewhere in the Scriptures, " The poor you shall always have with you "
A very defeatist attitude if you allow me to say so . Permit me to quote an old German trade unionist who was sentenced to a prison term in Dachau sometime in the 1930,s, during the reign here of a certain Austrian whom our forum friend Joe Burns mentioned because of his beliefs and I had the honour to meet and learn from in the seventies " He who fights for his rights can lose, he who does not fight has lost!"
Donald

Thanks for that Donald. I have to stop myself going into preaching mode, but the scripture you quoted says it all, if you quote the whole scripture, which continues, "but you will not always have me". And to me that is the answer to all of life's questions. Knowing eternal salvation first, all earthly things fall into second place, including injustice, poverty, etc. These things do matter of course, and where we can we ought to do something about them.

Enjoy spring in Munich, Donald, and have a good day.

Liz

Hi Liz
it,s always nice to hear from someone who still has beliefs, I lost mine a long time ago. Probably because as kids we were always threatened with hell and suffering if we committed sins like cursing or mitching Church. What a lot of sinners we were in those days.
Donald

Point taken & considered Donald. Here in the South of Ireland all houses in PRIVATE estates must have a certain number of affordable houses included in the buildings. Now this is causing trouble, as people don,t want affordable houses near them, as it effects the value of the more espensive houses. You can please some of the people some of the time but u can,t please all of the people all of the time. Joe.

Pat,
A journalist, Knut Becker born in East Germany and later became editor of a large Newspaper in Munich wrote a book of sarcasm " Forwards into the stone age " summed up such thinking very correct. " Sometimes when you give a slave golden shackles he will immediately say he has been entrusted with managerial duties"!
Naturally not everybody, but it would be interesting to know the number and origin of such thinkers Donald