Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Happy Easter

Happy Easter to you all...........
I see things have dried up a little lately. Doreen and I are off to Vancouver Island for three weeks, we leave on Wednesday(4th), hopefully there will be lot more action when we get back.
All the best,
Beano

Re: Happy Easter

... and to you and Doreen, Beano.
Hope you have a great trip and a safe return.

A happy Easter to everyone where ever you are.

Billy, and all the rest, have a lovely time! Boil a few eggs in a pot of tea instead of eating all those chocolate ones. They're nowhere near as nice, but they'll keep you slim, and remind you of how hard-up you used to be.

How about whins? Makes them nice and yellow.
Donald

Hi to Billy , and all my newfound friend's on the Exiles . I wish as everyone does to Billy and Doreen a most pleasent and enjoyable journey to Vancouver , and safe return home .

Many Thank's to Dabbler for his wise word's, he must be decended from the Philosopher's of old.

Happy Easter to Jim Collin's and Family , and all Ex Lisburnites.

Tommy

Happy Easter to Billy and Doreen and all the Lisburn Exiles. Vancouver must be a lovely place to spend Easter. Will you be visiting Derek Neill ? Hope to see you in May. Tom and Margaret

Re: Re: Happy Easter

Happy Easter to all the old retainers from Lisburn. Remember the crowded Castle Gardens, the Wallace Park , Me Colin,s Hill, on Easter Monday. It seems it was always sunny then. Does the chocolate still taste the same? What about "Sasprella" was that our Coke.? Memories, Memories, we r having great weather (for a change) in Ireland this last 3 weeks. Wish I could take a walk down the "line" to the High Bridge.Instead I am off into the garden with my thoughts of friends in far-a-way places. Slainthe. Pat Burns.

My son and his children arrive from London today, and I'm in for a few happy days.
But a wee bit of me will be in teh Castle Gardens, with my wee brothers and sisters.

As my father used to say when he was leaving us after a visit "My ghost wlll b here for a while" All our ghosts will b in the Castle Gardens at Easter, we never left.......Enjoy your family Dabbler as we enjoy your craic. Happy Easter. Pat Burns

Usually, at this time of night I’d be ‘bedded down’, but with grandkids around, I’m a bit over-hyped, so, - blame Patsy for encouraging me - here goes with some more Lisburn ancient tales:

We had some Laverys living in Bullicks Court, way back in the forties. John’s mother – I’m pretty sure his name was John – was annoyed with her son because he started coming home really late at night, so she decided to give him a fright. They lived in the last house in what we called The Entry, pitch dark at night. She got somebody to hide in the dustbin, outside the door, and jump out of it as he arrived home. I heard that John was of a slightly nervous disposition, and it was a long time before he stayed out late again – when he was caught, that is, after darting off as the bin lid rose, and persuaded to return home.

Here’s another one that I told to my brother last year: My uncle Davy, with a bellyful of Guinness, came home with our Da, and Mammy made them some broth. “That’s quare stuff, Maggie. You can’t whack it!” he declared, helping himself to another bowlful. For months afterwards somebody only had to say, “You can’t whack it!” and we would all fall about laughing, because we learned later that Davy spent the best part of that night on the toilet with diarrhoea. Maybe not wildly amusing, but we had no TV in those days.

If I don’t wake up one of these mornings, well, with all this writing, I’ve left a wee bit of myself with you guys and gals.

That’s it for now. Goodnight!

Happy Easter to all you in Lisburn and to our friends all around the planet.
Have a good one.
John....

I remember Easters of long ago, going to the Castle gardens as a child, then a few years later to the glens at Hillhall and then when we were really "grown up" going to the " Blitz Square" in Belfast or to Bellvue zoo and ended up having a splash out in the Lido cafe facing Gt Victoria St station, = tea , bread and butter, chips and beans for one and a tanner
Happy Easter all.
Donald
Just had a mail from someone I knew from Hilden in the fifties, she told me she had just taken part in an Easter procession in Bow St, carrying of the cross and meeting up with other processions and all proceeding together to a celebration Service Easter. Unbelievable and unthinkable 50 years ago but thank the Lord it,s now possible

Belated Easter Greetings to all.

Donald if you want to see photographs of the carrying the Cross in Bow street go to http://www.lisburn.com/churches/church-news-2007/carrying-the-cross.htm
or click on churches and then on local Church news you will see it there. Regards to all

Jim

Hi Donald

I join with you in saying Praise God for the change in Norn Ire. We have just been there for a few days, and have been most impressed with the attitude of change, and putting away the past. I have realised people have been moving forward gradually, and that I myself was a bit left behind. I am surprised, but very pleased and touched.

The weather was true 'Easter' weather. Beautiful sunshine, with a breeze that cut through you if you took your coat off!

Liz

Lovely pictures of Lisburnians of various denominations united under the cross. Thanks Jim.

jim
thanks for easter photos marvellous

Hi Liz.
Hope your husband and yourself enjoyed your recent stay in the old country .I was thinking of you when i was sitting with my wife on a seat in Bow Street looking at the people passing , and like yourself i did not know anyone from the past. Change of subject , do you remember the Goldfish in the fountain in Castle Garden's , many a time we used to feed them, and then went on to see the Cannon . Oh Happy Day's . I suppose your garden is looking well and the bud's are starting to appear . Enjoy .

All the best .
Tommy

Tommy

If you were there in Bow Street last Monday afternoon you may have seen me sit there a few minutes, but never a soul I knew, still, it made me happy. I had another look at the lion in Bridge St and it does look authentic. I didn't have time to ask at the Museum for a look at the real thing, but I did notice a new book there called "Voices from the Street" It is about Bridge Street and the Quay of Lisburn. I haven't had time to look carefully at it, but there are some pictures there close to my heart, as that was my area. It is by Brian S Turner.

Liz

Don't worry about not seeing anyone you recognised on a Monday, when you come back try Tuesday as it is market day and you see a lot of locals. Lisburn is the in place for out of Lisburn shoppers right now. I have lived in Lisburn all my life and I don't always see people I know. Hope you have more luck next time, Margaret

Hello Margaret

I was glad to see a little section in the market place still trading, I was sad it was so reduced,but it was still there. We just drove past on Tuesday.

Somebody was saying to us that the Lisburn traders were upset that the huge John Lewis store has got the go ahead to build at Sprucefield. They say it will make a ghost town of Lisburn centre, and that they all might move themselves to Sprucefield, where the big Marks & Spencer store, and others are.

What do you say Margaret, you live there?

Liz

Hi Margaret , Liz.

Excuse me butting in , but i think that when the new bus station is up and running the market will revert back to where the buses used to park , in Smithfield Square . And did they not say when Sprucefield was built that everyone would neglect Lisburn , and now it is buzzing . There is a homely touch a bout Lisburn , shure you only have to step in to Green's for shopping , and see the coffee dock , and all people having a wee chat . God's Country .

All the best .
Tommy

Liz, When the M1 was opened they said Lisburn would be a ghost town, when M & S was opened it was the same cry and Lisburn flourished. I think they are crying wolf again. They are increasing car park charges so much they will drive people out of town ! Why pay when you can park at the door. All the best Margaret

Just thought u would like to know, Donald, the Zoo at Bellevue at Easter, had record attendances. I remember the outing there at Easter too, but we had our tea & chips etc in the Continental Cafe, just up from Victoria Station, run by Italians. We thought we were the "Bees knees" then, eating out. Home tired & sleepy to East Down View & a sound night,s sleep dreaming of Easter eggs, the Zoo & the feast afterwards. Little pleases the innocent. Happy days.

Pat
you,re right it was the Continental and not the Lido, getting old
Donald

Donald,

You were right about thre Lido being opposite the Great Victoria St.Station right beside the "Crown"Bar.

Beano