Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jordan's Gold Lion

Hi Liz ,

You were right the original Gold Lion , is stored in the bowel's of the Lisburn Museum . The Lion above the shop in Bridge Street is a mould of the original , that was taken down and preserved after a bomb in bow street . I was told this on a visit to the Museum by a very helpfull lady named ELLEN MC KEE , who was in charge of the small but very good display about Voices In The Street. It is well worth a visit .

All best wishes .

Tommy

Re: Jordan's Gold Lion

Great story, remember lion well, should you ever go to the museum again ask for Trevor Hall, he is the curator and a very helpful guy, real friendly.Give him my regards.

Thanks Thomas, you're a gem for finding that out. I just wish the real thing wasn't in the bowels of the Lisburn museum, but had a pride of place where it would be so remembered and admired. As a little girl I loved to see it. I remember too the big clothing shop next door. I was a poor kid, but my mother occasionally bought me a really pretty dress. I remember when 'organdy' (now organza) was invented, I was bought an organdy dress out of that shop. Wow, did I feel like royalty riding down Bow Street!

Liz

Hi Liz .

Glad you enjoyed my wee story , hope you still feel like a Queen , when you are walking down Bow Street when you are over in Lisburn . I only live in Glengormley and i still get a buzz, It has changed a lot over the year's , but the memories are still the same . To see the copy of the Lion in bridge street, was like a child in a candy shop . Like yourself it all came back , to the day's standing , looking up at the shop front of Jordan's in Bow Street

Change of subject , i hope your Fushia's are still ready to show some stem's .

Hi Thomas

I think I delight in simple things. I love nothing more than to stand or sit down in Bow Street when I go home. I just watch all the people go by, looking at each face and wondering, have they lived here all their lives, did I know them, are they newcomers to Lisburn. Just occasionally I see a face I haven't seem for 40 years or more, and recognise. Some folk don't change, others do.

Thanks for asking about my fuscias Thomas, I did what you said with the coal ashes, and lo and behold today I see new leaves coming all over. It has recovered completely. Have a good day,

Liz

Hi Liz .

Maybe you have looked at me in Bow Street , and said to yourself , Who is that old codger HaHa, It is nothing to worry about , sure we all are alike in the simple thing's we enjoy , and why should we stop it . My problem is remembering names , when i meet people , Lisburn people have all changed , it is as you have found , a few times when you see someone from the past. You have made my day in relation to the Fushia's , my wee mum's word's have come true .
Happy and healthy gardening .
Tommy.