Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
royal visit

I THINK I remember King George vi, Queen Elizabeth, the Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret, plus Queen Mary all riding past Smithfield. I cannot find, on the net, anything to indicate that they were all heading to Hillsborough together - different vehicles, of course. As the queen is now eighty, and my memory is of two pretty tenaagers, I would have been only six or seven. Dreaming?

Re: royal visit

I remember the King and Queen coming to Lisburn on more than one occasion. It was always a grand day because we all got out of school (in front of Central) to stand and wave our wee Union Jacks as the came by. They were always going up to Hillsborough to stay.

I remember once a celebrity from Coronation St, one of Ena Sharples milk stout drinking buddies coming in the 60s from Nutts Corner airport in a Limousine to open Cavendish,s Furniture shop on the corner of Bow St / Grahm Gardens. So many people turned out to see her Bow St was blocked for hours and the Limousine could not get through.
Donald

Just checked,it was either Minnie Caldwell or Martha Longhurst
Donald

It was Minnie, I rember being there.

Re: Re: royal visit

You just triggered my memory of Ena Sharples too. I worked in Alex. Boyd's and couldn't get to see her.

Re: Re: royal visit

OOPS I thought it was Ena. Memory not too good.