Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Prisoners

I've asked abut this previously, but maybe one or two 'new' olduns would know:
At the Smithfield end of Linenhall Street, during and after the war, there was a very high wall, opposite the wee hall and Hannas' blacksmith, What was behind there? Men used to hand us money through the big metal gates facing the square, to go and do 'messages' for them. My mammy told me they were German prisoners of war. Was she just trying to frighten me away from the gates?

Re: Prisoners

Hi Dabbler,

I don't know about the prisoners that you mentioned, but I do remember them at Quay St.in Sammy Allen's coal yard it had very high walls. One time one of the prisoners, who spoke very good english, asked one of us kids to bring him an empty syrup tin and he would make us something. I gave him the syrup tin and he made me a toy car out of it,as a kid to me it was like magic. I kept that little car for years, I wish I had it now to show my grandaughters they are half German, I have told them the story and their "Opa" as well.

Beano

Where Hillhall primary school stands I once heard was a prisoner of war camp for German soldiers. I remember the concrete bases of the huts
Dopald
Beano what do you mean you told the Grandkids " Opa " as well? You are their Opa.
Donald

there was also prisoners of war held in the railway yards we used to talk to them and they made us toys we talked to them at the little road at the junction of antrim road and north circular road opposite what is now ? san sousi gardens or something like that tom

Used to talk here to older Germans who fought in the last war, they told me it was cheaper to recruit a soldier as it was to get a mule for the mountain division in Mittenwald. It only cost a few Pfennings for a stamp for the soldier,s call up letter and a few hundred Marks to buy a mule.
Donald

Reading your posts, I'm inclined to think that they WERE prisoners that I met, In fact, a tiny memory has been jiggled about them making toys.
Donald, I'm sure Billy means their other Opa. 'Dopald', have you been drinking again?

Re: Re: Prisoners

I don't remember the German prisoners but I certainly remember the American Soldiers being at Long Kesh and us children being taken their for x-mas concerts. I remember them giving us big "bubble gum" and it was a real treat. I could never determine why I always remembered the song "It's a long way to Tipperary" and then it came to me that the women used to sing this song when they went in the lorries out to Long Kesh. I know my mother took me and she told me that my father was raging because we went there. It is strange the little things we remember and the things we don't. Thanks for the column.

Daphne

Daphne, I have similar memories, about the 'yanks', and about the song.
On an entirely different note, your background reminds me of my longtime interest in athletics. I once went to see David Bedford attempt a world record at Chrystal Palace. Unfortunately, he pulled up close to me with a hamstring injury.

Dabbler
He who is without sin shall cast the first stone! I remember reading that somewhere, could it have been the world's best seller?
Serious, I remember reading an article about a visit of King George to Norniron. When visiting a weaving factory in Belfast where his mother Queen Victoria had been shown around some years before, he was called into one of the " stands " by the weaver there attending the two looms, she beckoned him close because of the noise and whispered something into his ear and he nodded. Upon returning to his group he said " I have never before been asked such a homely question, the lady just asked " How,s yir ma, is she keeping well? "
No ****
Donald

Dappler: Unfortunately my running days are over and I am just grateful after having surgery that I can walk again. My whole teenage years were involved in sports and also Field Hockey. I still try to walk as much as possible but I can tell you today I am not walking anywhere. It is 25 degrees celius below zero and a windshield of about 20 miles an hour so the cold goes right through you. I have been trying to get hold of the Obituaries Section of the Belfast Telegraph to find out about Daphne Sloan's daughter but am unable to get into it. Does anybody have any idea how to do this.

Daphne,
There is no death notice section in the BT. It stopped a couple of years ago.

Daphne and Lowroader,

Family notices started up again in the "Tele". Top left hand column, just click, then just type in deaths.

Beano

Donald, you're a great one for the craic!

Did you know Forthill girls school was once an army camp, possible held POWs there.

Re: Re: Re: Prisoners

Hi Frazer,
The rear of our house offered a great veiw of the Fort camp as you know we lived next door to it but I dont think it ever housed POWs, I do have clear memories of the Welsh Guards there also the Belgums were stationed there for a while, then you had the yanks over by Mill Brook, Hershey Bars and chewing gum and I heard some of the girls got nylons. I do remember the POWs at the Quay we use to see them on the way home from school, great times for a kid .
Regards Ted,